Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part VIII) - Pretty Mintniemi Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If Kotkaniemi is going to bust, the reason for it will not be being benched or downgraded to 4th line wing the last 3-4 games of his first season at 18.
May be because of the following

Played in the NHL too fast for PR reasons
Played 12 minutes a night all year with scrubs
Was benched for no particular reasons, even though his underlying numbers aren't bad at all, instead theyre actually elite.
Was moved to the wing, of the fourth line.

That's a good way to start a bust.

Now, Kotkaniemi isn't faster than he was last year, he won't develop speed in two months off, he's not stronger, he's not going to develop much strength in two months, he still doesn't have good timing on his one-timer even though it's powerful, he may get better, but IMO he wont.

That single decision of benching him 3-4 games, no, it won't make him bust. All of this above ? It's like if we punched him in the face at the start of the race, while everybody else got a clean start.

Reactions: Sorinth

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Tonight completely ruined him. RIP Kotkaniemi (2018-2019)

Also did you know his summer training is gonna suck too because he played in the nhl this season and played him too much, oh wait no Claude is an idiot for sheltering him, oh wait no, wtv man hes ruined. And they also changed the months in the year now that May, June, July and August only count as 2 months of training not 4. HurrrrDurrrrr

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Our Center depth chart next year:

in Montreal

Domi
Duchene
Danault
Weal/Thompson

in Laval

Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Evans
Peca

That's some pretty good Center Depth. 9 players capable of stepping into the lineup.
Although I wouldn't mind KK and Poehling playing on the wing in Montreal while they develop.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Also did you know his summer training is gonna suck too because he played in the nhl this season and played him too much, oh wait no Claude is an idiot for sheltering him, oh wait no, wtv man hes ruined. And they also changed the months in the year now that May, June, July and August only count as 2 months of training not 4. HurrrrDurrrrr
He didn't play enough
Four months is less than what he would've got in Finland to train

Also, if you knew anything about physical preparation, you'd realize that you don't train right after a regular season of 78 games, especially if your coach says 'you're tire".

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

in Montreal

Domi
Duchene
Danault
Weal/Thompson

in Laval

Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Evans
Peca

That's some pretty good Center Depth. 9 players capable of stepping into the lineup.
Although I wouldn't mind KK and Poehling playing on the wing in Montreal while they develop.
You can't just decide Kotkaniemi is going to be in the AHL now. Thats one way to f*** up a development even more. The only way this turns into a good story is if they finally commit to developing him.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
You can't just decide Kotkaniemi is going to be in the AHL now. Thats one way to **** up a development even more. The only way this turns into a good story is if they finally commit to developing him.[/QUOTE]

They are committed to developing him. The whole season was clear proof of that. The not committed part is in your head and strictly there.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You can't just decide Kotkaniemi is going to be in the AHL now. Thats one way to **** up a development even more. The only way this turns into a good story is if they finally commit to developing him.

meh, I don't want to get into this debate now. We can discuss next year, if by chance we get Duchene. Right now he's better on the wing. But his play at center in the first 2/3 of the season was a big part in us getting to where we are now...

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
He didn't play enough
Four months is less than what he would've got in Finland to train

Also, if you knew anything about physical preparation, you'd realize that you don't train right after a regular season of 78 games, especially if your coach says 'you're tire".

lol don't act like you understand how hockey players train if you think hes gonna wait until June to start training. Yikes Bro.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
More than likely starts in May and ends it in August with travel in between.

Vs having all year to do it, it's equal really.

Yeah he definitely didn't train during the season in Montreal. Its really crazy how they let their young guys get away with that type of stuff!

Reactions: savard95

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
VzOigis.jpg

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He and Byron gave the 4th line life.

Was nice to see the 4th line with speed and skill.

You could tell Thompson loved playing with them. He had a heck of a game.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
He and Byron gave the 4th line life.

Was nice to see the 4th line with speed and skill.

You could tell Thompson loved playing with them. He had a heck of a game.

It would be nice if the could get more depth up front so they could put together a fourth line made up of speed and skill. Even though I like the style the need for a bruising 4th line is gone.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Getting sick of watching these young centers getting stuck on the 4th line LW. Bergevin “supports it.” Of course he does. Because he never learns a lesson when it comes to development. He’d rather watch Drouin play center an entire year and finish with a lottery pick to feed his own ego.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It would be nice if the could get more depth up front so they could put together a fourth line made up of speed and skill. Even though I like the style the need for a bruising 4th line is gone.

We're pretty much almost there. If Poehling is ready to replace Thompson next year, we have 12 skilled forwards.

I'd also like to see us dip into free agency to increase our asset pool. In that scenario, Poehling and/or Kotkaniemi could start in Laval, and mid seasoon there could be a trade of veterans for either picks or a left d, and KK and or Poehling could take their spot.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

in Montreal

Domi
Duchene
Danault
Weal/Thompson

in Laval

Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Evans
Peca

I can’t see them sending KK to the AHL if the haven’t done it this year...
Also if we sign Duchene I would expect Domi to be move to the wing because we don’t have enough top 6 winger to fill 2 lines, Duchene won’t sign here to play with Shaw and Lehkonen...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I can’t see them sending KK to the AHL if the haven’t done it this year...
Also if we sign Duchene I would expect Domi to be move to the wing because we don’t have enough top 6 winger to fill 2 lines, Duchene won’t sign here to play with Shaw and Lehkonen...

imo KK would have to make huge strides by the start of the season next year for them to prefer him at center to Domi. imo KK would either be centering the 4th line (which I'm dead against), on the wing in the top 9, or in the AHL playing 20 minutes a night as a C. Things change so much, but perhaps Duchene's wingers are Drouin and Kotkaniemi, or Drouin and Armia, or tatar and Gallagher.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

in Montreal

Domi
Duchene
Danault
Weal/Thompson

in Laval

Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Evans
Peca

Jeeze, man, I have been the hardest on KK and even I wouldn't send him to Laval. Also, there's no need for Duchene. We need to unload Drouin, get a top line left winger and a top left d-man.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Jeeze, man, I have been the hardest on KK and even I wouldn't send him to Laval. Also, there's no need for Duchene. We need to unload Drouin, get a top line left winger and a top left d-man.

yeah, if we get Duchene, KK is probably better in the NHL but on the wing.

It's not a conversation for now, so there's no point in posting it really, but if we did manage to get Duchene, I'd rather see KK developing in the AHL at center, playing 20 minutes a night in all situations, than playing 4th line wing or center. Perhaps he could learn a lot as a 4c. But I'm definitely fine with KK being that top nine winger you want to get. I think many are scared of KK starting out on the wing because Galchenyuk didn't work. Galchenyuk didn't work at C because he's not a C, not because he started out on the wing. KK is a C, and will be fine playing the wing until he's strong enough/physically mature enough to handle the 200 foot game and grind down low of being an NHL C. Big difference.

Reactions: Habby4Life
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad