Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part VII) - Pretty Mint Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
How do we get from Eagle and KK to "Bobby"? What's going on, everyone is making up nicknames as they go? :laugh:

I like Koko.lol. But temper the enthusiasm to play him against others 1st line,no rush. He needs time and sheltering for now and guarded minutes. Playing with 2 very responsible wingers only gives him more confidence.Maybe next year he can play up a bit more and see how that works. Daneault is eating minutes against the top lines,and still producing,so why change things up that much. The PP sucks,if that can work,no one would be crying about anything.

Reactions: Frankc and Runner77

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Compared to other 3rd overall picks such as Galchenyuk and Drouin, Kotka's production should be eye opening, Even Drouin didnt crack NHL at 18, he got in at 19, and topped out 32 points in 70 games with 4 goals..

What Kotka is doing for us offensively PLUS defensively is nothing short of amazing, and at Center no less, he's a player i've been waiting for for a long looooong time

He really could get calder nom consideration if keeps it up!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Several of us were saying Bobby for quite a while, I might have been one of the first. His stature on the ice reminded me of Smith and it is why I said it.

Yeah, I know. But you lost that privilege when you ditched your Bobby Smith avatar. :sarcasm:

Reactions: OldCraig71

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He gets 15 minutes of ES ice time, which puts him ahead of Barzal and Kuznetsov.

One of these things is not like the other.

He deserves more ES minutes than Barzal. Taking away PP points, Danault has 40 points, and Barzal 32. Kuznetsov has 46 points excluding PP. That Danault is even that close to Kuznetsov doesn't make you stop and think you are devaluing him too much?

Danault is 100th in total ice time for a forward yet 81st in points. Excluding PP points, only 42 forwards have more than Phil. And he does it with a load of defensive zone starts and against the top players of the other teams more often than not.

Why are we wasting time on a KK thread trying to minimize what Danault does for this team??

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Danault is literally doing all the heavy lifting at center for this team. Anyone criticizing him doesn't know what they are talking about.

I'm really impressed at his game right now. His play without the puck is outstanding this year and he's one of the good ES centers in the east. Can't believe we got him and a 2nd for garbage.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm really impressed at his game right now. His play without the puck is outstanding this year and he's one of the good ES centers in the east. Can't believe we got him and a 2nd for garbage.
How could Weise be garbage? We had to trade first-pairing defender David Schlemko in a desperate move to get him back.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Byron and Armia are the perfect wingers for Kotkaniemi right now... our top 9 is great. But for this year at least, Kotka is the 3rd best center on the team, that needs to be understood.

Again, very true.

They complement each other as well as Kotkaniemi very well. Both are capable shooters, both are good two way players and what one lacks (size, speed), the othet has. Both are hard workers. Its a very good way to bring up a raw 18 year old.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
How could Weise be garbage? We had to trade first-pairing defender David Schlemko in a desperate move to get him back.

Lol. Truly though, how MB managed to get Danault and a 2nd for Weise and Fleischmann still makes no sense to me.

I can't imagine the criticism he'd get if he was the one making the deal Chicago made.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I guess it gets evened out with the Shaw trade.

True.

I have to admit though that I do love Shaws game this year. A lot. He'd be a sough out commodity if he were put on the market. I just wish we traded the low seconds for him rather than the high ones. Or found another way to get him as I do like what he brings quite a bit.

Reactions: The Great Weise

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That's not really true. Pretty much every year a player as good as Debrincat is drafted in the 2nd round after the 39th pick.

List of some notable players drafted in the 2nd round after the 39th position by years :

2000: Paul Martin
2001: Cammalleri, Pominville
2002: Trevor Daley, Duncan Keith, Jiri Hudler, Johny Boychuk
2003: Patrice Bergeron, Shea Weber, David Backes
2004: David Krejci, Brandon Dubinsky
2005: Paul Stastny
2006: Jeff Petry, Lucic
2007: Subban, Wayne Simmonds
2008: Derek Stepan
2009: Orlov, Tatar, Silfverberg

I would say in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 there was definitely one player as good as Debrincat drafted between the 39th position and the end of the 2nd round. 2008 is debatable but this is probably because i'm not a fan of Stepan he had a couple fo 50+ points seasons.

I would say out of this list there's at least 11 or 12 players as good as Debrincat in 10 years. So roughly one every year between the 39th position and the end of the 2nd round. There's some very big names in this list btw.

At this position your chance to get a very good player are still significant and probably between 3% to 5%. That's 3% to 5% more than Shaw cause Shaw is not a very good player.

I really don't understand how some people can see this trade as a good one. Shaw is a replaceable player. You don't give a 39th pick for a player like that specially if he's not under contract, his current team don't want to sign him and he's asking for pretty much his UFA value while not being UFA.

A chance of 3 - 5% IS the very definition of RARE.

Reactions: Pierre Dagenais
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad