Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part VII) - Pretty Mint Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The PP started clicking lately or since Julien took over the PP exactly, we're at 21.4% in the last 5 games.

Let's hope the boys can keep it rolling!
The PP started working when they had more than one shooting option. Like most of us have been saying since the beginning of the year and like weve said last year and the gear prior.

These old boys dont know shit.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Because it was the obvious thing to do... ive been saying the same thing since december... and now they wake up.

hahaha I know you're protective over your boy (you should be, you did good on being uber-bullish on him, he's yours as far as I'm concerned) but I really think they just wanted to work him in slowly. he's not going to be Galchenyuked. He's superior to Galch at the same age by quite a bit. Hell like someone else said I would take Kotka over Galch now even if KK wouldn't get any better. You don't want to over load the kid with too much responsibilities right off the hop. He already over achieved by merely making the team. Nothing wrong with how he's been handled. It's working. He looks great.

Reactions: Aspirine

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
No, I want the coaching staff to be held accountable for an easy decision that was not made.

The players took a lot of heat this year and last year for half a season and the lack of pp really hurt us. Last year Pacioretty hated being on the right half wall and Galchneyuk was the perfect player for the role. It took them forever to make the switch. This year our poor power play was a real problem. We see now what a surge - including a surge in the standings - we get from having a good pp.

At least they finally got it right and have been doing so much else right. The team is probably right now running on all cylinders. Alzner, Schlemko, and Ouellet are out in favor of Mete, Reilly, and Kulak (as many of us wanted long before it was done). KK, Weber, and Drouin are in their right positions on the powerplay. I think the lines are good now. I had wanted to see a switch of Danault and KK, but for now we'll see how the current lines play out.

No offence, but there might have been something else at play than an entire coaching staff being too dense to spot the obvious which, of course you, I and some others had seen. I'll give them more credit than you're willing to do as you prop yourself up.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The PP started working when they had more than one shooting option. Like most of us have been saying since the beginning of the year and like weve said last year and the gear prior.

These old boys dont know ****.
Actually, I think the PP started clicking (the first wave) because Drouin is on fire lately.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
hahaha I know you're protective over your boy (you should be, you did good on being uber-bullish on him, he's yours as far as I'm concerned) but I really think they just wanted to work him in slowly. he's not going to be Galchenyuked. He's superior to Galch at the same age by quite a bit. Hell like someone else said I would take Kotka over Galch now even if KK wouldn't get any better. You don't want to over load the kid with too much responsibilities right off the hop. He already over achieved by merely making the team. Nothing wrong with how he's been handled. It's working. He looks great.
Its not about being protective or anything, its about team performance. Hes the only player with the shot to take off presssure from Weber.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

I like the way he's able to drink it all in in his rookie season with no added pressure to be the team saviour. It's already a humongous step to have stuck with the NHL roster. He,s getting better with time and more experience because he learns at a quick rate and he gradually gets more ice time on the PP while still being generally protected in his match-ups on the ice. The odd match-ups against the opponents' best lets him gauge his progression. All positives for how he is used in his rookie season. I even expect some of this to carry over to next season, with more measuring stick assignments thrown in and more overall ice time as the season wears on.

Pretty sure the entire coaching staff aren't just morons this time around (especially with the arrival of both Ducharme and richardson in the fold -- their CVs are that good). It's an easy narrative to keep dredging up when we, as armchair coaches don't get our way, but it's pedantic at best and totally unrealistic a portrayal.

Reactions: cphabs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No offence, but there might have been something else at play than an entire coaching staff being too dense to spot the obvious which, of course you, I and some others had seen. I'll give them more credit than you're willing to do as you prop yourself up.

No offense, but why did it take them 50 games last year to put Chucky on the right half wall and take Pacioretty off the right half wall and put him in the high slot, when Pacioretty said he didn't feel comfortable on the right half wall??? And if it's not a bad decision, why did the power play go from one of the worst in the league, to literally the best in the league for a stretch???

It was soooo aggravating watching the pp for the first 50 games of the season. Especially since the solution was right there in front of their faces. And now that they've finally clued it, of course it's great. But it is proving our point of how poor their decisions were for the first 50 games. Not sure how you can justify it.

Reactions: Mrb1p

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I like the way he's able to drink it all in in his rookie season with no added pressure to be the team saviour. It's already a humongous step to have stuck with the NHL roster. He,s getting better with time and more experience because he learns at a quick rate and he gradually gets more ice time on the PP while still being generally protected in his match-ups on the ice. The odd match-ups against the opponents' best lets him gauge his progression. All positives for how he is used in his rookie season. I even expect some of this to carry over to next season, with more measuring stick assignments thrown in and more overall ice time as the season wears on.

Pretty sure the entire coaching staff aren't just morons this time around (especially with the arrival of both Ducharme and richardson in the fold -- their CVs are that good). It's an easy narrative to keep dredging up when we, as armchair coaches don't get our way, but it's pedantic at best and totally unrealistic a portrayal.

It’s awesome that he’s actually gotten progressively better as the season has wore on. That to me tells me he’s a fast learner and will progress quickly.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
2 more assists tonight that while secondary were both still great plays by him continues to improve, Mcguire today was comparing him to some big names on 690, also had really high praise for danault and then said that down the middle over the next three years with Kotka, Danault and Poehling and sliding domi to the wing will be exciting can't say I disagree having Domi able to slide back and forth between wing and Center is gonna be great for us.

Reactions: calder candidate

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Whenever he's on the ice with Tatar, Gallagher, or Drouin for a hot second, the pucks in the back of the net 50% of the time.

Please Claude: Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher. Even when Danault is back.
It's not like we've been saying this for the past f***ing century.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's not like we've been saying this for the past ****ing century.

The thing is, Byron-Danault-Lehkonen has always been a really good line. It's not like you need KK in the 3 hole to make it a good two way line.

It's great that we're having a pretty good year. But not putting Kotkaniemi with offensive players is holding us back imo. Now that I say that after a losing streak it may have some resonance.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The thing is, Byron-Danault-Lehkonen has always been a really good line. It's not like you need KK in the 3 hole to make it a good two way line.

It's great that we're having a pretty good year. But not putting Kotkaniemi with offensive players is holding us back imo. Now that I say that after a losing streak it may have some resonance.
It is holding both the Habs, Kotkaniemi and the wingers back. It's actually crazy that this mentality can go on in a multi million dollar business.

Could you imagine Google employing some kind of dinosaur that thinks people work better by getting screamed at, say ? Jeez.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
It is holding both the Habs, Kotkaniemi and the wingers back. It's actually crazy that this mentality can go on in a multi million dollar business.

Could you imagine Google employing some kind of dinosaur that thinks people work better by getting screamed at, say ? Jeez.
As someone who works in these environments, they don't think it but they accept it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->