Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would much prefer play Kk with evans than swap him out. Having 2 centers on the same line is extremely clutch, as we witnessed last night

It will be great to have Evan's back. But his career is in the line after 4 recent concussions, two of them where he was KO'd badly. So I hope takes the necessary recovery time.

But when he does come back, eithe Danault or KK would benefit from having him as their RW.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Of KK's 11 mins of 5v5 time, 5 mins were against that line. Looks like Vegas tried to exploit the 3rd line but it didn't work - KK had 70% xGF and more HDCF (per natural stat trick).

For comparison, Stone played 6min against Danault, 3min against Staal and 2min against Suzuki

The only players KK struggled against (stats-wise) was Vegas' 4th line (less than 1 min of ice-time) and against Pietrangelo/Martinez

Correct me If I am wrong please, but from my understanding XGF% has a relatively large reliance on offensive zone and d zone starts correct?

I always thought that was the big drawback about that stat, unless I am confusing it with another

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
KK was slightly better yesterday but not as good as he was late in the Leafs series and early in the Jets series.

He looks tentative and maybe even intimidated. A few good hits and a few dominant shifts will help.

You can't tough the Danault line. They've been awesome. The Suzuki line is producing and the Staal line is a pleasant surprise. Yes, KK's spot may be in jeopardy when Evans is ready. Love KK but right now, if healthy, Evans might be better centering that line.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Aside from his ~10 games in the AHL last year, he's been our #3 center for three years and still only 20 years old. What is your definition of 'committing' to a player? If Danault gets more TOI does that mean we didn't 'commit' to this player?

They should invent a Voight-Kampff like test for that kind of stuff...

The first question would be something like:
You think the Habs decided to put KK and Anderson on the same line because _____?
A) They complement each other extremely well.
B) Anderson doesn't mesh well with any other center they have and he got like 3pts in his last 30 games or whatever. So it's optimal to not burden Suzuki/Danault/Staal with that guy.
C) Vaught Kemf? Wut?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
KK actually had the puck a few times last night but mostly slipping and sliding out there. I'd get Evans in his spot ASAP. At least Evans with his speed can keep up.

as much as I'd start a petition to ban you from this thread for life, in a vacuum, you're right.

Evans would be the perfect fit for that line and I would bet that it would improve dramatically.

Really not a fan of putting him in though unless he's 200 million% and is dying to get back in there. I'd still be hesitant. I also don't like the idea of benching KK for a few reasons.

But again, in a vacuum you are absolutely right.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He was better last night, but I just don't see a lot of chemistry or good flow on his line. I don't think those guys gel very well. Anderson doesn't use his team mates and KK isn't a playmaker.

If he isn't a playmaker and goalscorer he is not, what is he?

Sounds like a pretty damning statement for describing a 3OA pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
They should invent a Voight-Kampff like test for that kind of stuff...

The first question would be something like:
You think the Habs decided to put KK and Anderson on the same line because _____?
A) They complement each other extremely well.
B) Anderson doesn't mesh well with any other center they have and he got like 3pts in his last 30 games or whatever. So it's optimal to not burden Suzuki/Danault/Staal with that guy.
C) Vaught Kemf? Wut?

Why not add an option for your original claim:

D) The Habs refuse to commit to Kotkaniemi.

Or would it be too ridiculous a conclusion?

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
Correct me If I am wrong please, but from my understanding XGF% has a relatively large reliance on offensive zone and d zone starts correct?

I always thought that was the big drawback about that stat, unless I am confusing it with another
Heh, I'm definitely not an expert on this - I always understood it as taking shot attempts while a player is on the ice, but instead of treating them all the same (like Corsi), assigning a % to it being a goal, based off shot location.

So I believe it doesn't factor in deployment which is a drawback, since someone starting exclusively in the offensive zone would have a better chance of getting shots on the net.

Also, the publicly available data for shot location isn't always accurate, and it doesn't factor in the pre-shot passing or the quality of the shot.

Then again, NST had Jon Merrill at an awful 7.9% xGF during the game, so can we at least agree that was accurate? Lol

Reactions: canucklover123

koivu2k1

Oct 1, 2017
Is Evans ready? This guy needs to sit hes been playing like shit, every puck he gets he loses it, can't win a 1 on 1

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Is Evans ready? This guy needs to sit hes been playing like shit, every puck he gets he loses it, can't win a 1 on 1

Don’t say it too loudly. They’ll say we don’t know what we are watching and look at the xGF

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Does he ever suck or what? Outplayed by Nick Roy LOL

Brady Tkachuk would look so damn good in those playoffs.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Playing well tonight.
Strong in transition, face offs & dzone coverage.
2 bad penalties, but gotta love the intensity he's competing with.

Sniffs out the right places to be in the ozone consistently. Productivity will come.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Playing well tonight.

Sniffs out the right places to be in the ozone consistently. Productivity will come.

WTF am i reading lol

koivu2k1

Oct 1, 2017
Playing well tonight.

Ok I'm not sure if you're serious, please tell me it's sarcasm...

Reactions: Hannibal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad