Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What is dislike in his progression curve. His stats doesnt going up. His best years was hist first. Since. He didnt be close from 45/50 pts.

He was on pace for 50 pts before the season got crazy with 24 games in 40 days. (Literally the worst schedule ever seen.)

Long windup with his shots too. He has a good hockey mind but his body is slow to react to everything.
How many good scoring chances did he give his wingers in the Peg series? ZERO

Off the top of my head he set up Byron for a one timer in front of Hellebuyck while he was behind the net and Byron, as is often the case, lobed it into Helles chest.

Later that game he opened up space for Andy by curling back at the blueline and left him with an open lane to the net.

He also scored a goal in game two.

thats just off the top of my head.

Disagree all you want.

The kid has very good playoffs so far, with timely, greasy goals.

But there is no substance in arguing he was creating scoring chances for his wingers against Winnipeg. Not a critisism, just a plain statement of fact.

Read above. You are wrong.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
It actually makes sense that even though he's viewed as a "playmaker" he has 0 assists in 20 playoff games. The pace of play picks up in the playoffs. Time and space are reduced. And that's KK"s weak point. He doesnt process fast enough in a faster environment. When he gets stronger (and he will) , the stronger body will buy him time. It will never be his skating, which will always be his weakness.

Reactions: angusyoung

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Re: KKs skating

Just keep in mind Point dropped to the 3rd round of 2014 draft due to concerns of his skating and lack of pace...fast fwd 7-years there is no pace issue.

For perspective...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Re: KKs skating

Just keep in mind Point dropped to the 3rd round of 2014 draft due to concerns of his skating and lack of pace...fast fwd 7-years there is no pace issue.

For perspective...

True. But Ferrero was saying on tsn690 that not all players can improve their pace the way Point did. It takes genetics, certain kind of fast twitch muscles to be able to do so.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
True. But Ferrero was saying on tsn690 that not all players can improve their pace the way Point did. It takes genetics, certain kind of fast twitch muscles to be able to do so.
My only point being it’s too early to tell, he’ll never be McDavid, but I see incremental improvement in his skating from his rookie season to today, which shows an uptick trend, where KK peaks...I’ve got no clue

Had there been no visible improvement however ..

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
It actually makes sense that even though he's viewed as a "playmaker" he has 0 assists in 20 playoff games. The pace of play picks up in the playoffs. Time and space are reduced. And that's KK"s weak point. He doesnt process fast enough in a faster environment. When he gets stronger (and he will) , the stronger body will buy him time. It will never be his skating, which will always be his weakness.
KK linemates since game 2 of the playoffs against the leafs

Byron 1 assist (on the OT goal in game 6)
Anderson 0 point since game 1 against the leafs ( 1 since the last 23 games)

KK 4 goals in 10 games
Anderson/Byron 1 assist in 10 games with KK . I mean who's to blame?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
My only point being it’s too early to tell, he’ll never be McDavid, but I see incremental improvement in his skating from his rookie season to today, which shows an uptick trend, where KK peaks...I’ve got no clue

Yeah ok has potential in almost every area. Hard to say how high he'll reach and how long it will take. Patience is key.

For now, rather than saying he's a 3c, I would say Danault is the number 1 shutdown C, Suzuki is the number 1 offensive C amd KK is the number 2 offensive C.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Capz

Jul 1, 2019
KK linemates since game 2 of the playoffs against the leafs

Byron 1 assist (on the OT goal in game 6)
Anderson 0 point since game 1 against the leafs ( 1 since the last 23 games)

KK 4 goals in 10 games
Anderson/Byron 1 assist in 10 games with KK . I mean who's to blame?

Lots of guys here like to blame the 20 year old kid. It's ridiculous, can't wait for him to shut everyone up in a year or two.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
The issue is that Anderson brings nothing he never passes never puts himself in front of the net. There are several times where you can see his hockey IQ is very limited.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Yeah ok has potential in almost every area. Hard to say how high he'll reach and how long it will take. Patience is key.

For now, rather than saying he's a 3c, I would say Danault is the number 1 shutdown C, Suzuki is the number 1 offensive C amd KK is the number 2 offensive C.
And number 2 defensive C

Reactions: Habs10Habs

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Lots of guys here like to blame the 20 year old kid. It's ridiculous, can't wait for him to shut everyone up in a year or two.
Yep same for me , can't wait for the day he gets good linemates and his linemates won't change every 10 games.

It took 4 years to Disband the Danault line , we are year 4 of KK next season , it's time for him to be he second center of this team and Suzuki can play #1 already.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

the funny thing is that some posters throw out the assist column as "proof" that he's not "generating offense" or "setting his linemates up"...

Byron and Anderson have 35 shots between them. 2 goals.

How many of those shot attempts were:
- from a high % scoring area
- of primary or secondary feed from JKO

some would have you believe that the answer to both is zero... which is absurd and reflective of the odd negative bias some posters seem heavily caught up with.

forget that neither Anderson nor Byron have particularly strong offensive zone IQ, the "problem" with that line is that JKO is setting them up for success :laugh:

i swear... you can't make up takes that bad lol

Reactions: CapZzZzZz

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I would suggest reading today’s article in The Athletic by Arpon Basu on what demands have been placed on the 4-lines. Snippet:

The Kotkaniemi line - crash & bang

Kotkaniemi’s line with Byron and Josh Anderson reverts back to favouring dump ins over controlled entries, but again, it is with a different purpose in mind.
Yes, the line obviously wants to create offence, but it is also looking for an excuse to punish the opposing defencemen on the forecheck. This kind of pressure is different in the sense that the consequence is not necessarily a turnover, it is bodily harm. If a defenceman going back for a puck against this line does not move it quickly, he will be drilled into the boards

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I would suggest reading today’s article in The Athletic by Arpon Basu on what demands have been placed on the 4-lines. Snippet:

well... we all know that this type of context is immaterial to a player like JKO... who regularly ignores coaching instructions to focus on playing the game the way he wants/prioritizing his offensive output :sarcasm:

sarcasm aside, just another reference point that, imo, creates some excitement to see just what his game looks like when he is used in a role where the focus is on making the most of his vision, creativity, and offensive zone i.q... and with linemates with skills to match/complement. I suspect we'll see a big jump, and some around here will be "surprised" and "shocked" at the large bump in productivity... time will tell.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
well... we all know that this type of context is immaterial to a player like JKO... who regularly ignores coaching instructions to focus on playing the game the way he wants/prioritizing his offensive output :sarcasm:

sarcasm aside, just another reference point that, imo, creates some excitement to see just what his game looks like when he is used in a role where the focus is on making the most of his vision, creativity, and offensive zone i.q... and with linemates with skills to match/complement. I suspect we'll see a big jump, and some around here will be "surprised" and "shocked" at the large bump in productivity... time will tell.

Not if he keeps playing with Anderson. He is a rush first and only guy.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

He needs to stop worrying about the skating. He can be fine with the way it is now. The more pressing need is to just stay on his damn feet. Add muscle, play a big boy game and stop getting knocked on your butt everytime someone breathes on you.

Reactions: Be a Hab
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad