Rookie season:
Kotkaniemi: 34 pts in 79 games, and +1

Jack Hughes: 21 pts in 54 games, -22
3 goals and 12 pts in his last 40 games

Kakko: 20 pts in 58 games, -23
2 goals and 6 pts in his last 30 games

Dach: 20 pts in 57 games, -4
3 goals and 10 pts in his last 42 games

If KK was ruined playing in the nhl last year, I dont want to imagine what will happen to these 3 players

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
What? He earned his spot last year. Why do people deny this.

This year adding 20lbs + groin injury + concussion killed his season. It happens and the Habs made the right move. What exactly is the lesson?
I agree, he did earn his spot, and yes the Habs made the right decision with him this year. I'm saying in the past maybe they didn't make the same decision?

Reactions: HankyZetts

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
What do you guys think about signing a middle-6 center in order to insulate Kotkaniemi and allow him to start in Laval in case he's not ready come training camp?
This assumes Domi is either traded, or forced to play wing as a result of one of Tatar/Drouin being moved.

I was thinking about Eric Haula, Carl Soderberg or Cody Eakin.

Haula could be employed at wing if Kotkaniemi forces himself into the lineup. Soderberg can perhaps be signed for one year, as he's 34, so he fits the role as a stop-gap solution. Eakin can play as #4C once JK is ready.

I find it rather risky to go into the season assuming that it will be smooth sailing from now on for Kotkaniemi and Suzuki. This season should be a lesson.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
What do you guys think about signing a middle-6 center in order to insulate Kotkaniemi and allow him to start in Laval in case he's not ready come training camp?
This assumes Domi is either traded, or forced to play wing as a result of one of Tatar/Drouin being moved.

I was thinking about Eric Haula, Carl Soderberg or Cody Eakin.

Haula could be employed at wing if Kotkaniemi forces himself into the lineup. Soderberg can perhaps be signed for one year, as he's 34, so he fits the role as a stop-gap solution. Eakin can play as #4C once JK is ready.

I find it rather risky to go into the season assuming that it will be smooth sailing from now on for Kotkaniemi and Suzuki. This season should be a lesson.
. With Danault/Suzuki and Domi in front of him as centerman, i dont expect another one here. I would like to put money on a LD like torey krug. Like. Overpay him. Inexpect to see Suzuki should take another step and play more than danault next year

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
Does anyone here realistically think KK will ever hit 70 points?

I’m curious. Because watching him play I don’t see any game breaking skills that would allow him to reach that total. His production at every level also is concerning. (I know he’s putting up PPG in the AHL but let’s see how that looks in 30 games not 11)

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I’m curious. Because watching him play I don’t see any game breaking skills that would allow him to reach that total. His production at every level also is concerning. (I know he’s putting up PPG in the AHL but let’s see how that looks in 30 games not 11)

His production is concerning at every level ? Wtf are you talking about ?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Lol ?

Liiga: top tier numbers
U18: top tier numbers
AHL: top tier numbers
Nhl rookie season: top tier numbers

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
You guys concerned he has 0 goals in 11 games for Laval?

Well he has scored goals at the NHL and has a pretty hard shot, kind of underrated really, so I don't see why he won't be scoring goals soon enough. I always thought he needed to shoot more the past 2 years. The coaches surely know this and I don't know if this is correct or not but the AHL stat website is showing he has registered ZERO shots on goal the past 11 games. I don't know if that's an error, or maybe they just want him to get confidence back in his comfort zone (playmaking) before pushing the shooting more, but that could explain the zero goals.

Reactions: dralaf and Vachon23

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

I could see him touch 70 or come close to it. I'm thinking Tomas Plekanec like numbers.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You guys concerned he has 0 goals in 11 games for Laval?

I've been watching most of the Laval games, and my answer is that no, I'm not concerned.

Whenever looking at the short term, the process should always be more important than the result. What I'm seeing of Kotkaniemi is that his compete level is high, he's playing well in a lot of different situations, and he's generating offense. Those are the things that matter, that will lead to him re-acquiring his confidence, developing good habits, and becoming a better hockey player.

Though the goals are not coming, he is getting several good shots. That they're not going in is, I'm assuming, a result of statistical fluke, and possibly psychology. He might be nervous to score his first goal, that happens, but once he scores 2 or 3 he'll be fine. The stats page says that he has 25 shots on goal in 11 games. That's not an exceptional number, but a decent one, I don't know if they're accurate in the AHL, or if they're including missed shots. He's gone a little wide of the net a few times.

Right now, the sample is small as Kotkaniemi has played 11 games. However, there are 19 games left in the AHL regular season, plus whatever they play in the playoffs if they make it. So whereas the sample is currently small, it should be intermediate by the end of the season, we'll know better.

Circling back though, I'm just thrilled with his compete level and with his ice time. If he keeps that up and stays healthy through the end of the season, I don't care whether he scores 2,7, or 12 goals in the last 19 games.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
the AHL stat website is showing he has registered ZERO shots on goal the past 11 games.

No. I saw that too and was confused, and then I saw that it was an absurdly low number for other players as well.

Go here:
TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League
Jesperi Kotkaniemi has 25 "SH" on the season, that's 25 shots, and I don't know if they count missed shots.

What he has is 0 "SOG". SOG does not stand for shots on goal, it stands for shootout goal. Kotkaniemi has 0 shootout goals this year.

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
Lol ?

Liiga: top tier numbers
U18: top tier numbers
AHL: top tier numbers
Nhl rookie season: top tier numbers

Liiga: 0.5 ppg is NOT top tier numbers. Is it good for a 17 year old? Sure, but still not crazy high production.

U18: The only time he has ever scored at a high pace, then again there plenty of kids that dominate their age group yet can't produce against men. Especially with tall kids.

AHL: He's played 11 games, extremely small sample size, 0 goals and almost all his assists scored by Hudon on the PP (Top 5 goal scorer in the league)

NHL rookie: Definitely NOT top tier numbers. Good for an 18 year old? Sure, but nothing telling me this kid will produce more with age (19 year old season abysmal). He has 42 points in 114 NHL games... Nick Suzuki has 40 points in 65...

The way I see player development is very simple: At a young age you have a very wide range of possible landing spots for your end-potential. As you get older the range gets smaller and smaller and starts becoming more clear.

KK, during his U18 years had a large range due to his production, but as he moved up to higher competition and started struggling to put up points his range started becoming more and more narrow, more clear. In 2-3 years we will know exactly where he lies. But for now, I cannot say I see him ever reaching a 70 point total in the NHL.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He shouldn't be in the NHL for his own good ROS.

Let him dominate the AHL (he's still only 19)

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Liiga: 0.5 ppg is NOT top tier numbers. Is it good for a 17 year old? Sure, but still not crazy high production.

U18: The only time he has ever scored at a high pace, then again there plenty of kids that dominate their age group yet can't produce against men. Especially with tall kids.

AHL: He's played 11 games, extremely small sample size, 0 goals and almost all his assists scored by Hudon on the PP (Top 5 goal scorer in the league)

NHL rookie: Definitely NOT top tier numbers. Good for an 18 year old? Sure, but nothing telling me this kid will produce more with age (19 year old season abysmal). He has 42 points in 114 NHL games... Nick Suzuki has 40 points in 65...

The way I see player development is very simple: At a young age you have a very wide range of possible landing spots for your end-potential. As you get older the range gets smaller and smaller and starts becoming more clear.

KK, during his U18 years had a large range due to his production, but as he moved up to higher competition and started struggling to put up points his range started becoming more and more narrow, more clear. In 2-3 years we will know exactly where he lies. But for now, I cannot say I see him ever reaching a 70 point total in the NHL.

Wait, so when Mrb1p referred to top tier production, you understood it as being top tier production for the league and not his age group ?

You feel this is a strong argument ? Why are you comparing him a 20 year old lmao.

His numbers werent good for his age, they were fantastic. He has the 7th or 8th best U18 season in Liiga history.

Being ppg in the AHL at 19 is producing at Eric Staal/Patrice Bergeron levels. It's not a common thing. If you watched the games, you'd see his numbers reflect his play, only he's been unlucky as far as goals go, but he could've had a number of them.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Honestly I am way more reassured now that he will pan out into a good player. This is very encouraging. Would be great if he killed it at 19 in the NHL but killing it at 19 in thr AHL is still super good.

I'm happy he's ppg, but going 11 straight games in the AHL without a goal, and going pointless in over 1/3 of your games in the AHL isn't really "killing it" imo.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He should play in Laval next year with Caufield and Poehling on a line. Build some chemistry for the 21 season.

Poehling - Kotkaniemi - Caufield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad