Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - AHL edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think that aside from a couple of weeks, he should hang around and work out under with the Habs keeping an eye on him. I just wonder if he worked out properly last summer.

Would be good to see some goals. but 9 assists in 8 games is really good

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Hopefully he stays down there for the rest of this season and plays in the WC, then depending on his summer we can see where he's at for the start of next year.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Kotka can't score anymore. Good thing we have Caufield for his RW.

KK isnt the center for Caufield. We dont have the center for Caufield. (Hint: that center needs to be fast).

I could see Suzuki being decent, but I dont think well see KK-Caufield much outside of the PP.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Hopefully he stays down there for the rest of this season and plays in the WC, then depending on his summer we can see where he's at for the start of next year.

It feels to me like Kotkaniemi should concentrate on gym time, not playing games. Sure, WC would be a nice experience, but at the same time, the kid has played more than 100 games in North America and has barely improved. A full summer of resting and training hard will do wonders for him. 6-7 games on the world stage won't improve his game

People have to understand the schedule in NHL is extremely tough, barely any time to train in the gym during the season. Players work on their game off the ice, and validate what they have learned during games, and improve on that. There is no time for Kotkaniemi to practice and work out right now. He needs a full summer of bulking and practicing

At least his time in AHL will help him gain more confidence and since there is more time and space he can try some new stuff that he couldnt get away with in the NHL.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It feels to me like Kotkaniemi should concentrate on gym time, not playing games. Sure, WC would be a nice experience, but at the same time, the kid has played more than 100 games in North America and has barely improved. A full summer of resting and training hard will do wonders for him. 6-7 games on the world stage won't improve his game

People have to understand the schedule in NHL is extremely tough, barely any time to train in the gym during the season. Players work on their game off the ice, and validate what they have learned during games, and improve on that. There is no time for Kotkaniemi to practice and work out right now. He needs a full summer of bulking and practicing

At least his time in AHL will help him gain more confidence and since there is more time and space he can try some new stuff that he couldnt get away with in the NHL.

Isn't bulking exactly what he did last summer?
You shouldn't try to add too much too quick, tough to improve skating.

I'll keep saying it forever but confidence is everything for young players.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Isn't bulking exactly what he did last summer?
You shouldn't try to add too much too quick, tough to improve skating.

I'll keep saying it forever but confidence is everything for young players.

agreed, as he looks top heavy and weak lower body which is impacting his balance which leads to him falling too often. I'm a huge believer in lower body strength and confidence for that matter, so these are things he clearly needs to improve a good bit but I like the skills and smarts to go with the frame he has. If it takes 3 or so years for him to get there and he ends up say a 60-70 pt consistent 2 way center then I will be happy.

catmanhabsfan

Jan 4, 2006
I find it extremely annoying no one seems to understand physiology and the maturation process. Hes a 19 year old kid growing and adjusting to a lanky large frame. Gracefullness is not something he will have for a couple of years. He may or may not wind up a 1st line center man but whining about his balance and lack of strength is ridiculous. Give him time to mature hes a clutzy kid growing into a very large man. Balance and strength will come with time. Some people take longer to reach physical maturity. Strength will also come shortly. Hes a teenager with hormones going wild he could put on 10 lbs in a summer easily for the next couple of years.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I find it extremely annoying no one seems to understand physiology and the maturation process. Hes a 19 year old kid growing and adjusting to a lanky large frame. Gracefullness is not something he will have for a couple of years. He may or may not wind up a 1st line center man but whining about his balance and lack of strength is ridiculous. Give him time to mature hes a clutzy kid growing into a very large man. Balance and strength will come with time. Some people take longer to reach physical maturity. Strength will also come shortly. Hes a teenager with hormones going wild he could put on 10 lbs in a summer easily for the next couple of years.

Are you saying that taller 19 year olds need more years to gain muscle? Is this documented?

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Kotkaniemi is not Galchenyuk. It’s nowhere near close.

Galchenyuk was played on the wing and kept in the NHL when he could’ve used development.

Kotka played centre and had a good rookie season. The Habs sent him down when it was clear he could’ve used development. He’s already better off and he’s PPG in the AHL.

Kotka is going to be fine. This thread will be fun to remember in three years.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Galchenyuk was played on the wing and kept in the NHL when he could’ve used development.

Kotka played centre and had a good rookie season. The Habs sent him down when it was clear he could’ve used development. He’s already better off and he’s PPG in the AHL.

Ppg in the AHL at 19 is Patrice Bergeron/Eric Staal level.

He just needs to start scoring.

As far his NHL career, it'll all depend on how much stronger and faster he becomes, because as far as IQ and skills go, he has legitimate top 6C potential.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Sounds like the old Galchenyuk thread when people were posting how good he was going to be, just you wait and see. Oh, and if we could only get Yakupov as well, we'd have a dynamic duo for the next decade. Good times.

This thread will be like every other one in a few years, when we all look back wondering how Timmins and Bergy still have jobs, and how many other studs we passed on in the draft because our 'secret drafting formula' is foolproof.

HelloBellyvo

Jul 2, 2019
I read this article and it made me think of the discussion people wee having re KK on this thread. I thought it might be interesting
It shows that most people misunderstand confidence. Confidence doesn't lead to high performance. Rather, confidence is a bi-product of previous performance.
For example, if you start your day well, you're likely to have confidence throughout the rest of your day. If you start poorly, that prior performance will sap your confidence, even subconsciously.
Get this clear: Confidence is a direct reflection of past performance. Hence, yesterday is more important than today. Luckily, today is tomorrow's yesterday. So, even if your confidence today isn't optimal, your confidence tomorrow is still within your control.
Once you've made the first mental shift, you know that your emotional state is your own responsibility and the product of your choices. If you want to be confident, that's up to you. If you want to be happy, that's up to you. If you want to be successful, that's up to you.

Reactions: HabsMD97

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

yeah people were super worried about Pacioretty in the NHL even at 20/21. When he was on the Metropolit/Moen line (I think?) he was getting tons of breakaways/chances but falling on his arse quite a bit.

I really think a lot has to go wrong (even more than usual) for him to not be at least a decent 2nd line C. I still think his upside is better than that. I'm pretty shocked at how many people seem to forget how impressive he was in his rookie year. Galchenyuk had a solid rookie year for an 18 year old and I think Kotka's was superior by a decent enough margin. Compare the highlights of the two. He played the tougher position and looked WAY better defensively. People were pretty encouraged by AG's rookie year but he just didn't develop. I think KK can still be a pretty special player. A 1-2 punch of him and Suzuki up the middle is something we can definitely work with if they can get anywhere near their respective ceilings. Having a Danault or a Poehling that reaches his upside on the 3rd line will be a nice cherry on top. People would fall in love with Danault again if he was on the 3rd line.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

I mean, they did the right thing but to be fair it was clear for literally everyone else far before the Habs pulled the trigger on it.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
yeah people were super worried about Pacioretty in the NHL even at 20/21. When he was on the Metropolit/Moen line (I think?) he was getting tons of breakaways/chances but falling on his arse quite a bit.

I really think a lot has to go wrong (even more than usual) for him to not be at least a decent 2nd line C. I still think his upside is better than that. I'm pretty shocked at how many people seem to forget how impressive he was in his rookie year. Galchenyuk had a solid rookie year for an 18 year old and I think Kotka's was superior by a decent enough margin. Compare the highlights of the two. He played the tougher position and looked WAY better defensively. People were pretty encouraged by AG's rookie year but he just didn't develop. I think KK can still be a pretty special player. A 1-2 punch of him and Suzuki up the middle is something we can definitely work with if they can get anywhere near their respective ceilings. Having a Danault or a Poehling that reaches his upside on the 3rd line will be a nice cherry on top. People would fall in love with Danault again if he was on the 3rd line.

The comparison is flawed because KK is high IQ, the absolute most important thing for a NHLer. Physical aspects can be improved (his body is not even done developing), but can't do much for spatial awareness processing speeds and creativity.

Galchenyuk...Not so much.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Are you saying that taller 19 year olds need more years to gain muscle? Is this documented?

There is no rule as far as I know. But when I look at him I do see a lanky, awkward guy. Anyone can gain muscle, for some it's harder than others. For a tall guy like him I think it will take time, and work. But it should happen.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010

I'm just not worried about KK at all. For whatever reason, im fully convinced that he will eventually reach his potential. Its just a matter of patience with him, something that people nowadays just don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad