Player Discussion Jesper Fast: Part II

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I mean, we can look at Fast or Howden's CA numbers alone and see how godly/disgusting they are at possession right now, but as soon as we make them relative to one another, they are being harmed or benefitting from the other's abilities as well.
I'm sorry I still don't think I understand. Their "relative" stats are their impact on the ice, v.s. the cumulative impact of the team with him off the ice.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So you agree he's great defensively and you're just *****ing about stats because they're stats.
Dude, I am not trying to be insulting, but do you suffer from reading comprehension issues?

The point that is being made is that citing possession stats as the bare evidence can be an is a bit misleading because the stats do not at all examine what line, what situations they are on the ice for and the sheer caliber of the linemates.

You read that and that is what you get out of it??

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Dude, I am not trying to be insulting, but do you suffer from reading comprehension issues?

The point that is being made is that citing possession stats as the bare evidence can be an is a bit misleading because the stats do not at all examine what line, what situations they are on the ice for and the sheer caliber of the linemates.

You read that and that is what you get out of it??
We all agree on the topic and you're offering unrelated criticisms of the analytics in a case where they line up with everyone's opinion.

Yes, that's exactly what I took from it.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't think relative numbers are very useful. And I think if you look at them outside of comparing players on the same team then they really have major problems. But there is no denying that Fast is a very strong defensive player. Regardless he's not going to command a reasonable contract so I would definitely trade him.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It is going to have to be as a third line player. Both for positioning and pay
I think we’ve gone over this before but I think it’s a little bit of a fools errand to say you’re signing a guy to be an X line player in most cases. Some guys are clearly first or fourth line guys, otherwise things in the middle don’t pan out as predicted over the course of any single season let alone multiple seasons

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We all agree on the topic and you're offering unrelated criticisms of the analytics in a case where they line up with everyone's opinion.

Yes, that's exactly what I took from it.
If that is your take away, then your reading comprehension level needs to come up. I do not see how stating that using possession stats as sole evidence is misleading is the same thing as ####ing on stats.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I don't think relative numbers are very useful. And I think if you look at them outside of comparing players on the same team then they really have major problems. But there is no denying that Fast is a very strong defensive player. Regardless he's not going to command a reasonable contract so I would definitely trade him.

I agree that they are more useful on their teams than league wide but why don't you think they are useful. What alternative would you offer for a league wide comparison?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think we’ve gone over this before but I think it’s a little bit of a fools errand to say you’re signing a guy to be an X line player in most cases. Some guys are clearly first or fourth line guys, otherwise things in the middle don’t pan out as predicted over the course of any single season let alone multiple seasons
Fair, but I think that when signing a player like Fast you use the cap space for the player that he truly is.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If that is your take away, then your reading comprehension level needs to come up. I do not see how stating that using possession stats as sole evidence is misleading is the same thing as ####ing on stats.
Cool, once I finish my thesis on urban theater and receive my second degree with a focus on textual analysis, I'll let them know my reading comprehension needs to come up.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, I agree. Pay him as a third line player but he’ll probably be up and down the lineup over the course of any season.
That's it exactly. That is what I mean by saying pay him for the player that he is. Could he slide up and serve for a time? Sure. He is doing that right now. But that should not be confused with him being a top two line player.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That's it exactly. That is what I mean by saying pay him for the player that he is. Could he slide up and serve for a time? Sure. He is doing that right now. But that should not be confused with him being a top two line player.
Yeah, I totally agree. I doubt that he suddenly thinks of himself as a first line player. He's been up and down before and he signed his current modest contract just a few years ago.

I could be wrong but I suspect he'd take a pretty normal raise in line with how the cap has changed since he signed before. I don't really see him being the type of guy to leverage some time in the top 6 to ask for a gigantic raise. If he does do that, gotta move him because he's just not that guy. If he's cool with a reasonable contract though, definitely keep him. Everyone who has played with him loves having him on their line and that's important the more that the team is filled out with kids.

Reactions: bobbop

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I could be wrong but I suspect he'd take a pretty normal raise in line with how the cap has changed since he signed before. I don't really see him being the type of guy to leverage some time in the top 6 to ask for a gigantic raise. If he does do that, gotta move him because he's just not that guy. If he's cool with a reasonable contract though, definitely keep him. Everyone who has played with him loves having him on their line and that's important the more that the team is filled out with kids.
Could not agree more.

Reactions: Kallio

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I agree that they are more useful on their teams than league wide but why don't you think they are useful. What alternative would you offer for a league wide comparison?

Just because they are so dependent on the quality of your team. It's no surprise, for example, that Mark Stone's best relative stats came on the year he was playing on the second worst team of the decade. He didn't do anything different he just looks better relatively since all the other players on the team were far worse. And yea, I know, that's lazy just giving one example but it's a trend in general not a one off. Defenseman on LAK looked bad relatively for years just because Doughty/Muzzin was on their team putting up like a 58% playing half the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbour Dog

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm sorry I still don't think I understand. Their "relative" stats are their impact on the ice, v.s. the cumulative impact of the team with him off the ice.

At work, and probably not putting sentences together well.

Fast has always been borderline elite defensively, but I'm saying that perhaps a potential difference this year is that we have one of the very worst possession players in the league getting meaningful minutes for us on a different line. With the inverse potentially being true of Howden.

I'm more so putting it out there as a question.

E - @SA16 put it into words much more concisely than myself.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
When I see trade talk about Fast it's always like he's worth a 3rd rounder. I see at least a 2nd rounder......and it's because every team going to the playoffs would like to add a player like him. He's a reliable and consistent heads up player you can plug into your lineup in a variety of ways. Whether he scores a lot or not he's a guy who most games will have a positive impact. I could see maybe 10-12 teams being in on him if the Rangers decide to move him. So if we're selling on him--don't sell low.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and nyr2k2

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
People need to adjust their baseline assumptions for a ‘bottom-six’ contract under an $80+ million salary cap. 1/23 of the current cap is $3.54 million, and that will probably be the low-end of what Fast would receive on the open market. I would keep him for that much on a 3-4 year deal because it’s essentially half of the cost of Kreider and solidifies RW depth.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
People need to adjust their baseline assumptions for a ‘bottom-six’ contract under an $80+ million salary cap. 1/23 of the current cap is $3.54 million, and that will probably be the low-end of what Fast would receive on the open market. I would keep him for that much on a 3-4 year deal because it’s essentially half of the cost of Kreider and solidifies RW depth.
Yeah when we had Boyle and Moore and Dorsett and those guys, I calculated their cumulative hits one year (13-14?) as almost 14%. Of course the annual salaries were lower because the cap was like $60M or something. If you see Fast as a valuable 3rd liner he's definitely worth $3.5M.

Whether you think we should give that to him is of course a different story, but that's gonna be the going rate for guys like him, I'm sure.

Reactions: doomscroll

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad