Player Discussion Jesper Fast: Part II

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
There are plenty of teams who have room.and need guys like him. If he wants to win he needs to take less..but someone will easily offer him 4m. It just won't be on a team that's got a chance to win.

We haven't seen many contracts post-COVID, but Fast was most certainly setup to get an Anaheim Hagelin contract (4x4M) somewhere.

I'd wouldn't bat an eye giving Fast 3x3M with no protections, but that's my ceiling.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
We haven't seen many contracts post-COVID, but Fast was most certainly setup to get an Anaheim Hagelin contract (4x4M) somewhere.

I'd wouldn't bat an eye giving Fast 3x3M with no protections, but that's my ceiling.
That's riiight around my ceiling as well.

Though with the money they've cleared and the chatter about moves... I wonder if they have a different strategy entirely planned for that $23MM in space. We'll know more soon...

mti79

May 11, 2007
I really really really hope that the extra call space we've gained allows us to bring back Fast. We're going to have a very young team. He a valuable player that can be moved up and down the lineup without bringing it down and sets a great example for the kids in the room.

Bring back Quickie!!!

Reactions: Machinehead

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It would be a shame for him to leave the team just before we really get everything together. That said I think the 3 X 3 is about right or 3.25 X 3--I wouldn't fight him over that small of an amount. I think he's intending to check out his options though.
3x3ish is about what I expect his market will be. Pre-flat cap I'm sure it would be more like 4x4, but I don't know if I see teams going that high with the landscape projected as it is for the next couple seasons. Even $1M makes a difference now.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'm fine with Fast at over $3M if the term is 2 years max. If it's more than 2 years, then $3M is where I draw the line tbh, especially since he's reportedly willing to take a discount.

Reactions: egelband

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Please no with Fast. Him being re-signed means the 4th liner stays on the 2nd line with Panarin. Anything over 2.5M is brutal.

You know Kakko should improve and bump Fast down to the proper bottom 6 role right ?

Plus Lafraniere May go RW or slide Kreider over ... the kids will push him down

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
$24M feels like an awful lot of cap tied to Trouba ($8), Kreider ($6.5), DeAngelo (~$6), and Fast (~$3.5). I'm not sure what the solution is, but that situation would make me uncomfortable.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
$24M feels like an awful lot of cap tied to Trouba ($8), Kreider ($6.5), DeAngelo (~$6), and Fast (~$3.5). I'm not sure what the solution is, but that situation would make me uncomfortable.
Deangelo isn't getting 6 on a bridge and Trouba should be traded. Problem solved.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
cuz he should take 1.5 thats kinda of what he is worth
I would bet my left arm he signs for $3M+ and probably receives multiple offers in that range. I don't know how you could look at the guy and think that as a UFA he's somehow worth less than his contract he signed three years ago as an RFA. That's just silly.

I understand not being a huge fan of what he does but valuing him at $1.5M is comical.

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
I mean he played on a line all season with Bread, his numbers are inflated like the Us economy in 12 months. There are half a dozen guys per team that can penalty kill and bring intangibles.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean he played on a line all season with Bread, his numbers are inflated like the Us economy in 12 months. There are half a dozen guys per team that can penalty kill and bring intangibles.
It's not like he's coming off a career year. His best season statistically was 2017-2018. He doesn't need to play with Panarin to put up 25-30 points, that's just who he is and what he'll do regardless.

Again, totally cool if you don't value what he does. However, if you actually think he's worth $1.5M you'll probably be surprised when he signs for double that (or more).

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
It would be a shame for him to leave the team just before we really get everything together. That said I think the 3 X 3 is about right or 3.25 X 3--I wouldn't fight him over that small of an amount. I think he's intending to check out his options though.
I think he gets at least $3.25 per year. Buffalo's entire 3rd and 4th lines are probably gone as UFAs. I could see him landing there.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Not much interest from me to bring him back. Dont trust Quinn to play him on his proper line.
He’s Hagelin with worse skating ability. No thanks, unless he wants to play on the fourth line for $1-1.5MM, which would be incredibly stupid on his part.

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
Its no use getting too attached to 4th liners like Hollweg, Moore, Drury etc..

Appreciated Fast while he was here, if he was blessed with any ability whatsoever he would be a first rate player in this league.

We need that money to resolve issues at LD and Center

Richter35

Oct 30, 2006
A 4 year deal with a 3MM AAV is fair (and maybe a slight deal). More than that he can go to market. see the Roussel and Beagle deals in Vancouver - I think that's what he is looking for. and I wouldn't argue against the notion that Fast is better than those guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad