Player Discussion Jesper Fast: Part II

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Feel confident in his abilities to develop as one of the best defensive wingers in the league, if he's not already there...

Reminds me of a much smarter, more skilled, but less gritty Callahan.

Tri state Ranger

Mar 13, 2015
NY
Feel confident in his abilities to develop as one of the best defensive wingers in the league, if he's not already there...

Reminds me of a much smarter, more skilled, but less gritty Callahan.

Idk about one of the best quite yet, but if he keeps this play up and keeps improving then yea, I can see it.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
If he keeps this up, he's gonna be a permanent member of our top-6 sooner rather than later.

We have an embarrassment of riches at wing. Nash, Kreider, Hagelin, MSL, Zucc, Fast, Miller.etc.

Still have Buch waiting in the wings. He'll likely replace MSL the year after next.

Not to mention we have Stepan, Brass, and Hayes down the middle.

Nasty.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Callahan and Fasth comparison

Pretty similar stat lines at age 22:

Regular Season:

Fast: 58 GP 6G 8A 14Pts
Callahan: 52 GP 8G 5A 13 Pts

Fast: 10:39 ES TOI/PG 1:06 SH TOI/PG
Callahan: 11:02 ES TOI/PG, 1:04 SH TOI/PG

Playoffs:

Fast: 13 GP 1G 3A 4Pts
Callahan: 10 GP 2G 2A 4Pts

Fast: 13:21 ES TOI/PG 0:54 SH TOI/PG
Callahan: 13:06 ES TOI/PG 2:25 SH TOI/PG

That season was Callahan's coming-out party, probably the best playoff series of his career vs. the Devils.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
How about this, I have not noticed a single opponent's winger in these playoffs that was better defensively, none.

I agree, but only 1 game into this series. Fast has some ways to go before catching up to Palat IMO.

bramford

Oct 20, 2011
A future Selke Trophy candidate. If he is this good in his first full year I can't wait to see him in the future.

Nixo

May 12, 2013
Another player who elevates their game during the postseason perhaps? too early to tell, but he has been solid. Brings great energy during his shifts

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Idk I think he's pretty gritty too. Throws hard hits, takes hits to make plays, doesn't wilt in a scrum. Just an excellent all around player.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
When it comes to grit, and physical play..Cally beats him by a wide margin.

Defensively they are both great.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Disagree. Callahan sucks defensively IMO.

Eh, maybe if he was to face a player 1 on 1, but he was always one of our best PKers and IMO you need to be pretty good defensively to be a good PKer.

But your probably right, Fast is the better defensive player.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I'm not the biggest expert on defensive hockey, but it seems like any time a player hits a lot and blocks shots they get reputation for good defense.

Well blocking shots is considered a part of defense...its not just being able to stop a player coming at you full speed with the puck.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm not the biggest expert on defensive hockey, but it seems like any time a player hits a lot and blocks shots they get reputation for good defense.

He can block so many shots because his ****** defensive positioning allows for so many to happen.

That, and most good defensive players are savvy with their sticks in some ways. Callahan is absolutely not stick savvy.

Eh, maybe if he was to face a player 1 on 1, but he was always one of our best PKers and IMO you need to be pretty good defensively to be a good PKer.

Eh........defending short handed isn't anything like defending 5 on 5. A lot of basic hockey fundamentals are tossed aside when you have free range to clear the puck, and there's no incentive to make plays.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Well blocking shots is considered a part of defense...its not just being able to stop a player coming at you full speed with the puck.

Its one aspect of it.

Callahan blew and still blows assignments on the regular and he was too aggressive laying down to block shots and opening up gaping lanes. Case in point: The only goal Canada scored against the US in the Olympics. This is why Brian Boyle was always 8000000x the PK'er Callahan ever was despite the reputation being the complete opposite.

His defensive game was always overrated.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Callahan was an exceptional PKer, and was the hardest working player 5 on 4. Also, who else aside from maybe Girardi would have the balls to dive right into a Zdeno slapshot?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Its one aspect of it.

Callahan blew and still blows assignments on the regular and he was too aggressive laying down to block shots and opening up gaping lanes. Case in point: The only goal Canada scored against the US in the Olympics. This is why Brian Boyle was always 8000000x the PK'er Callahan ever was despite the reputation being the complete opposite.

His defensive game was always overrated.

Exactly this.

Tight and highly disciplined defensive systems like AV's are the antithesis of Callahan's playing style.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Selke Trophy:

10-11: Cally 10th in voting
11-12: Cally 4th in voting
12-13: Cally 8th in voting.

Sorry, but a player who is "Horrible Defensively" doesn't sniff the top 10 in voting for 3 years in a row. Look im not saying hes hes a god on defense, but he is absolutely a good defensive player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad