Player Discussion Jesper Fast: Part II

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think Holden could get a 2nd. 10 goals and 34 points from a D for 1.65M isn't something I think most teams would object to giving up a 2nd for.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Because I place such high value on a player's personality and character, no matter where they slot in on the generally accepted upside or tier ranking, I don't want Jesper to go anywhere. We have plenty enough history now to know he is effective and has done nothing but be the most consistent player on the entire Rangers roster!!
Have some other assets go, the ones who have now reached re-assessment stage and been found wanting.
Cannot keep too many players that you are still waiting for a verdict on while the cost to gamble on them rises.

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I had to scroll to page 6 to find this guy. That's shameful in itself considering what an unsung hero this guy is on the team. When he played back in Sweden, he was known to be a prominent point producer. In his role in NA, he apparently isn't a real threat anymore.

Give this guy some goddamn ice time on the 2nd line already, he has learnt the ropes and is mature enough. "He hustles like no one else. He's always positioned where he's supposed to be. He makes so few mistakes. He has good hands. His hockey IQ is really high. A guy that doesn't look out of place on any line." Is that really a bottom 6 player we're describing?

So he was FINALLY awarded a top6 chance. The result? Two beautiful goals from him. The guy that made a pass like on Zuccarello's highlight reel (a lob pass behind the defensemen) is finally given a chance to bring a bigger significance to team success. It's weird he didn't receive it sooner.

When you're one of the best bottom 6 players in the world, you better receive a chance to produce on a team where several top 6 players struggle.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The Nash-Hayes-Fast line has been a nice little revelation, especially with Hayes stepping up his game.

Really good defensive line that is still a scoring threat.

Want to see that against the better teams.

Quickie looks like he's recovered well from surgery.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I love Fast but he doesn't get enough shots on goal to justify being a top 6 player. It's been that way ever since he came over to North America. He didn't get enough shots on net in the AHL either. You want your top 6 wings to be goal scoring threats and if they don't get enough shots they won't be. 3rd line-4th line is where he belongs and is where he's going to be the most effective.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Well, he surely is on a hot streak now, another goal on a beautiful deflection against the Canucks. He's good at being in the right spot for easy goals, that's for sure.

Reactions: Ori

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well, he surely is on a hot streak now, another goal on a beautiful deflection against the Canucks. He's good at being in the right spot for easy goals, that's for sure.

That Ovechkin-like snipe against Carolina was a thing of beauty though

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I love Fast but he doesn't get enough shots on goal to justify being a top 6 player. It's been that way ever since he came over to North America. He didn't get enough shots on net in the AHL either. You want your top 6 wings to be goal scoring threats and if they don't get enough shots they won't be. 3rd line-4th line is where he belongs and is where he's going to be the most effective.

He doesn't HAVE to shoot the puck though. He makes very smart reads and plays with the puck that create chances for players around him. It's about creating chances

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He doesn't HAVE to shoot the puck though. He makes very smart reads and plays with the puck that create chances for players around him. It's about creating chances

You want your top 6 wingers to be goal scoring threats. Without enough shots he's not going to be a goal scoring threat. What the Rangers have done with him pretty much plays to his strengths--between him and Grabner they are the best Rangers forwards away from the puck. Fast though is better than Grabner in on ice puck decisions and a better grinder--a better playmaker. Grabner is more of a goal scoring threat. I'd be more inclined to move Michael into the top 6 than Jesper but that's not to say I value Grabner over Fast. I just see a somewhat different kind of role. They are both glue players though and neither of them get as much credit as they deserve.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Our top 9 essentially acts as a top 6, our third line is a depth scoring line. Fast can be on the top 9 so long as the chemistry works, which it does currently. I wouldn’t move him back to the fourth line right now and go back to being a team with a first and fourth line and no combinations with a lick of chemistry between the two.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Want to compare Fast and Vesey based on points because that's what matters? Well...

Since 2016:
Fast 87 GP, 32 ES points
Vesey 104 GP, 27 ES points

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Want to compare Fast and Vesey based on points because that's what matters? Well...

Since 2016:
Fast 87 GP, 32 ES points
Vesey 104 GP, 27 ES points
Oh, we are comparing numbers of 1st year players with players who have 6 years of NA pro experience, good argument, would read again.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Oh, we are comparing numbers of 1st year players with players who have 6 years of NA pro experience, good argument, would read again.

Well, we aren't putting rookie of 2nd year Fast in the line-up, are we? By your logic, we should play Vesey over Miller because as a rookie he had more points.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm w/ Eco on this. I like Fast. But realistically he is a good bottom 6 forward. Playing him as a top 6 forward would be playing him as what he is not. Which does not set anyone up for success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad