Player Discussion Jesper Fast: Part II

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Not sure Fast will ever score the Fedotenko did.

He's around .31 PPG career, Feds was about .42. Feds got a decent amount of top 6 minutes in Tampa, IIRC, with either Richards or Vinny (I believe it was generally Prospal - Vinny - MSL and Feds - Richards - Modin, but I could be wrong. I know he was fighting for minutes with Stillman and Andreychuk at times).

All things considered, I don't think he's that far behind.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
64 hits in 42 games according to nhl.com

he has a edge to his game or nhl.com is lying?

Once again, Fast is 2011 Ryan Callahan (AKA the only year he was really great) and nobody realizes it.

Now I'm not saying we make him top 5 among forwards in TOI, load him with PP time, make him the captain, and give him a ton of money. Never should have done that with Callahan.

But he's a fine player.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Some people feel Fast is underrated. Some people feel he is overrated. I feel those terms are relative terms. I believe in market value. So I ask myself if a player was made available for a trade tomorrow how much would teams pay for him in players and/or salary? That gives me a ball park estimate of a players value.

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
If the Rangers are uneasy over the prospect of exposing Michael Grabner in the expansion draft, understand that there is at least equal disquiet over the prospect of losing Jesper Fast to Vegas.

There is not a forward on the team who doesn’t want this 25-year-old tireless worker on his line and there isn’t a player on the team who doesn’t appreciate the Swede’s dedication to doing the grunt work. That goes for the coaching staff as management as well.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/11/how-rangers-playoff-comfort-should-affect-vigneaults-tryouts/

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
If the Rangers are uneasy over the prospect of exposing Michael Grabner in the expansion draft, understand that there is at least equal disquiet over the prospect of losing Jesper Fast to Vegas.

There is not a forward on the team who doesn’t want this 25-year-old tireless worker on his line and there isn’t a player on the team who doesn’t appreciate the Swede’s dedication to doing the grunt work. That goes for the coaching staff as management as well.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/11/how-rangers-playoff-comfort-should-affect-vigneaults-tryouts/

At this point, I get the feeling we're going to lose either Fast or Raanta to the expansion draft.

Creepingjeff

Mar 4, 2016
I remember when the season started, everyone was wondering why Fast was penciled in to have a spot on this roster. I feel he has proved his worth in spades. He is a perfect bottom 6 winger. He skates well. He kills penalties. He scores between 20-30 points per year. You can move him up with other lines in a pinch and he won't hurt the productivity in that line. He is also very cheap. There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't have him in their lineup every night.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Jesper still has a bit of untapped potential. Maybe a good season in the next 2 years.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
no

borderline elite 4th liner. i just hate it when he plays higher.

No. one of the best 4th liners in the entire league and a bargain for what he bring a a million bucks. He can even fill in on third line in case of an injury. Good pker and tremendous worker. He'll even score a big goal every now and then. Verry underrated by some in this fan base. He is a player that when you put him out on the ice he will never hurt you. and that is a rare thing

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
He had another very strong outstanding game today.
Early in the season, I made a post about how I always liked Fast but wondered where that ability to be a socring threat went. I had already seen it. He was able to be more than just competent and diligent, and I wondered where that had gone.

The way he is playing is really nice to see. He is actually at time driving offense, while still being a hard worker defensively. Absolutely wonderful.

Last edited:

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
Last year, he wound up with 10-20-30. That is amazing. Jesper is all effort and hustle every shift. He won't match that output this time. But everyone appreciates how hard he works. He's so responsible. Easily a fan favorite.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Last year, he wound up with 10-20-30. That is amazing. Jesper is all effort and hustle every shift. He won't match that output this time. But everyone appreciates how hard he works. He's so responsible. Easily a fan favorite.
Might come pretty close. Unsung hero.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Once again, Fast is 2011 Ryan Callahan (AKA the only year he was really great) and nobody realizes it.

Now I'm not saying we make him top 5 among forwards in TOI, load him with PP time, make him the captain, and give him a ton of money. Never should have done that with Callahan.

But he's a fine player.

Callahan had 48 in 60 that season including a 20+ goal season. It's an insult to Callahan to compare him to Fast.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Callahan had 48 in 60 that season including a 20+ goal season. It's an insult to Callahan to compare him to Fast.
That NYR lineup Callahan played in was also thin as paper with bad forward depth. Fast is a better puckhandler than Callahan was at the same age, while Callahan was better around the net. Both have the same work ethic. I don't think it's that much of a stretch comparing them. Callahan would be a bottom 6 player if he played for NYR today and wouldn't score 20 goals, because he wouldn't be given nearly the same ice time.

Today a guy like Zuccarello fills Callahan's spot as two-line winger and well, Zuke is a huge upgrade.

Last edited:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

I've said Fast would get picked .

I'd deal Nash for an entry level contract forward and picks

Protect Fast , sign Shattenkirk , trade Klein

In this case they lose Lindberg nor Grabner. 1 year left and he won't score as much as this year

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
As long as AV plays him more on the fourth line than the first line he is an asset.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Playing the best hockey of his NHL career. Flying and create chances. I always thought he'd be a 20 goal scorer....guess more like a sure fire 20+ Assist guy.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It'll never cease to amaze me at how the guy looks lost offensively when bumped up two lines, but then can make that absolutely ridiculous slap fake pass to create the Lindberg goal. Agreed with WPB, this is the best hockey of Quickie's career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad