Player Discussion Jesper Fast: Part II

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Fast deserves it. Great kid who was forced into a bigger role and didn't seem out of place, despite not being an offensive juggernaut. Great 2-way player who makes players around him better

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think he needs to be an assistant coach. I think it's essentially all he is now anyway. Worries about his system but doesn't have the eye or mind to be making critical roster decisions and game analysis on a consistent basis for the overall team

or at the very least, remain a head coach but give an assistant just as much power...

It seems that AV tries to see things that aren't there, and in doing so he carries that chip kelly sort of ego, "I know better than all". It drives me nuts because there's a point when you just have to admit that what you're trying doesn't work. He has a hard time doing that

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Fast deserves it. Great kid who was forced into a bigger role and didn't seem out of place, despite not being an offensive juggernaut. Great 2-way player who makes players around him better

On a different scale of course, but I still feel about him like I did about Zuccarelo for a long time.

Zucc played well and got decent stats during those first years before AV came here and Torts used him, but he easily created a lot more top scoring chances than what shows on the stats sheet. If he was the best player offensively for us and created 4-5 top chances, he got like 1 assist. Otherwise he mostly got 0 pts. It's not unusual that a player has a good game and gets like 3 pts, that for 5-10 games have some luck and maybe score more than a point per game and so forth, even if the player only is a 40-60 pts player otherwise. For a good while there I was just waiting for Zucc to like had 10 productive games in a row, to get hot for a week or two. He was around so many chances. But it never came the first years....

Fast finds a lot of loose pucks in good scoring chances and he does make a lot of nifty/heady passes around the net. Sometimes it seems like he is involved in 2-4 situations per game. But he just don't seem to get those stints where "everything goes in". Where there is some offensive buzz around him. So that he can get some real confidence offensively. I think that really could give him a offensive bump offensively.

I definitely still hope that he can take another step offensively in the coming years. Produce closer to the levels that Callahan for example did in his prime. Cally is a little stronger around the net and a better shooter, but Fast definitely has better hockey sense and playmaking ability.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
jespersohotrightnow.gif

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Fast's savvy plays in OT were critical in last year's playoffs

I don't mind him the so-called top 6, your gonna need 3 lines with notable ice time, he's definately 'top 9'

you don't have to put your 6 best players on 2 lines; someone has to force turnovers, feed the puck and everyone needs to work the cycle

having our "top 6" guys spread over 3 lines makes us harder to beat
(when we don't beat ourselves)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Cwede- Agreed, like teams don't have a top 6 anymore. On most teams it don't matter at all if u play on the 2/3 line. Neither does it for us. Given that this have been tha case the last 10-20 years, there is still a surprising amount of talk about top 6/9 and 2/3 line...

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
64 hits in 42 games according to nhl.com

he has a edge to his game or nhl.com is lying?

Fast has always played a physical game. He's not a big guy, so people don't pay much attention to it...but he likes to hit. I remember him going back & forth with OV in the playoffs. They were body checking the crap out of each other. OV is a bull, but Fast cares not, lol.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
he also doesn't fly out of position to hit people like some of the bigger hitters in the league. if he can't hit someone he can still play the body

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
That's not really the point of hitting.

It's a huge part.

Forecheck isn't going to turn the puck over if the other team isn't worried about getting bumped by Fast coming in. They will turn it over if they panic and rush the move the puck if AO is coming in.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
It's a huge part.

Forecheck isn't going to turn the puck over if the other team isn't worried about getting bumped by Fast coming in. They will turn it over if they panic and rush the move the puck if AO is coming in.

They don't need to be worried, the actual bumping is what separates the puck from the player way more often than not

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Who should he be imitating then? I think he needs his own style, instead of imitating someone else.

Just a guess, but I think he meant to use the word "intimidating". :laugh:

Oh, I know. But this is way more fun :naughty:

Yay for spell check over the phone :laugh: I'm not even going to change it now :D

They don't need to be worried, the actual bumping is what separates the puck from the player way more often than not
Absolutely true as well, that is the other major purpose of being physical.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
See: Tanner Glass

Fast uses hits to his advantage and his fantastic on the forecheck. You don't have to be Kronwall to be an effective hitter.

Last edited:

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Lol who dug this thread out of the rubble? In all seriousness though Fast is incredibly underrated. Hardest worker on the ice, small guy but really battles in the corners. Smart player who empties the tank each shift.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Lol who dug this thread out of the rubble? In all seriousness though Fast is incredibly underrated. Hardest worker on the ice, small guy but really battles in the corners. Smart player who empties the tank each shift.

He really does, doesnt ever take a shift off. Now, if he and Lindberg can duo well, maybe eventually they will score some goals......they have it in them, just arent asked to force the situation. Have a feeling we will soon be getting some goals from them.....key goals. Especially when we get healthy, they'll be overlooked and contribute.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Been a solid utility guy recently more than ever. His line always seems to have the opposition pinned in. Nice to see.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
It's a huge part.

There's like 3 players that legitimately force d-men to throw pucks away prematurely. Players in this game aren't afraid of anyone. Ovechkin coming down the wing to kill you is a unique situation, 9.5/10 players in the league don't have this effect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad