Jersey Tossing

Zihuatanejo

Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Doubt it will matter but my vote is for the juvenile crowd. It is childish to throw something in a temper tantrum, just like I think it is juvenile for a tennis player to throw a racket or a golfer a golf club or a person on the street who throws garbage or a beer or something. Acting out like that in public is immature.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Fine them 1000 dollars. Maybe they are anti Oiler fans but throwing away a 200 dollar jersey is worst than idiotic.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Ah, but this is an org with an owner that managed to cajole City council on fronting ALL the money (public money) into building them a brand new and very high priced arena.

Sorry, that's a game changer. If Katz and the Oilers don't realize that too bad. At that moment of getting public handout they put themselves in position to answer to the public. How is this not clear?

Its no longer as simple as don't purchase the product. As property owners we now pay for the product whether we want to or not.

The Oilers not too curiously act as if nothing at all has changed with that.

This is one of the things I found exceedingly strange in the whole transaction. That an org that for decades has thought itself above reproach and inaccessible and insular would open up long enough each time to get a huge public bail out. First instances with Pocklington, now with Katz.

3355111914_62d3056712.jpg

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
Doubt it will matter but my vote is for the juvenile crowd. It is childish to throw something in a temper tantrum, just like I think it is juvenile for a tennis player to throw a racket or a golfer a golf club or a person on the street who throws garbage or a beer or something. Acting out like that in public is immature.

Agreed ... if it is done with no forethought if it's done as an act of rage. Not being able to control one's temper is a character flaw, something we are suppose to learn when we are young. However you must consider that someone could throw their jersey as a calculated form off protest. If it's something someone planned ahead of time even if you don't agree with the method is not a tantrum in that circumstance and that changes everything.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Fine them 1000 dollars. Maybe they are anti Oiler fans but throwing away a 200 dollar jersey is worst than idiotic.

What legal licence and recourse would they have to fine somebody. Who would enforce payment, entitlement, and jurisdiction to impose this.

The Kingdome (intentional sp) of Oilers would I imagine love your idea and would be possessed of such rancor to think that they could fine fans for such action.

Next, theres next to no resales on used jerseys and negligible value to worn jerseys. Winners don't even take them. Pawn shops do for around 25bucks. I guess theres that..
So if a person decides they have no need for a jersey anymore it obviously follows its something that no longer has value for them.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Sure, and obviously I'm grouchy about it. Doesn't make what I stated wrong.

I'm not going to get into the arena debate with you again, but when are you going to drop it? You have to be the only one here that would take an association as loose as jersey tossing and relate it to an arena.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Agreed ... if it is done with no forethought if it's done as an act of rage. Not being able to control one's temper is a character flaw, something we are suppose to learn when we are young. However you must consider that someone could throw their jersey as a calculated form off protest. If it's something someone planned ahead of time even if you don't agree with the method is not a tantrum in that circumstance and that changes everything.

Good post and agreed on all of it. I can see both sides. The latest action re; the hoody could be seen more as reactive loss of control (i.e. throwing the phone along with the hoody) But for clarity to the thread that specifically is not the topic. its jersey tossing in general. Or at least as I took it.

If I did this, and I never have, it would be as an intentional act. (My jerseys in the closet quivering with fear..) :D

Nah, they're safe and sound. Anderson and Smyth are characters that made me by Jerseys. That doesn't change. The feeling towards those players doesn't change.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm not going to get into the arena debate with you again, but when are you going to drop it? You have to be the only one here that would take an association as loose as jersey tossing and relate it to an arena.

Its just a domain sidebar argument. Take it or leave it. Few people discuss such things in general on a hockey board.

But when GM, or any corporation seek a public bailout theres usual conditions attached and implied.

That's all.

So as a product its no longer just entertainment, its now a funded entity which makes it answerable. Although I'm convinced the org doesn't consider this.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Its just a domain argument. Take it or leave it. Few people discuss such things in general on a hockey board.

But when GM, or any corporation seek a public bailout theres usual conditions attached and implied.

That's all.

So as a product its no longer just entertainment, its now a funded entity which makes it answerable. Although I'm convinced the org doesn't consider this.

Since when is the organization not answerable? Tickets aren't free, people pay, and they pay for all the tickets every game. If people were that upset they wouldn't buy tickets anymore. Last I checked that hasn't changed since the arena got the go ahead. The city council and Mayor are also answerable through elections, and pro-area Councillors were re-elected. You don't like it because it isn't the answer YOU want.

Whether you like it or not people in this city love the team despite the BS we have to put up with. The team is answerable, and people keep buying tickets and merchandise as an answer.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Since when is the organization not answerable? Tickets aren't free, people pay, and they pay for all the tickets every game. If people were that upset they wouldn't buy tickets anymore. Last I checked that hasn't changed since the arena got the go ahead.

Whether you like it or not people in this city love the team despite the BS we have to put up with. The team is answerable, and people keep buying tickets and merchandise as an answer.

People are not STH's based on current team. What is occurring is arguably placeholding, for the new arena which I intend to address in a future thread.

Without the new arena looming in 2016 I think we would see less renewals.

Heres something interesting as well. The Oilers have figured out that in 2012-13 they allowed to many seats to be available via packages and game sales. Since then they have used more of the STH wait list to sell more as season tickets. There are now less package and per game sales available. It was the right move for them to make at present but people are buying and holding so they get to have seats in the New arena.

That's my view, we probably won't agree, cheers

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Its the fans wish if they wish to toss a jersey more power to them. If the organization doesnt like it well then start winning games.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
People are not STH's based on current team. What is occurring is arguably placeholding, for the new arena which I intend to address in a future thread.

Without the new arena looming in 2016 I think we would see less renewals.

Heres something interesting as well. The Oilers have figured out that in 2012-13 they allowed to many seats to be available via packages and game sales. Since then they have used more of the STH wait list to sell more as season tickets. There are now less package and per game sales available. It was the right move for them to make at present but people are buying and holding so they get to have seats in the New arena.

That's my view, we probably won't agree, cheers

Wait, so people WANT to buy tickets to see the team in the new arena "funded" by taxpayers? Interesting.....

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its the fans wish if they wish to toss a jersey more power to them. If the organization doesnt like it well then start winning games.

But it doesn't do anything. One spoiled whiny fan in the stands doesn't really send a message. In fact we haven't seen much change since this whole debacle started. It's a meaningless gesture that shows two things:

1) The Oilers are a bad hockey team (Which everyone already knew)

2) The Fans are spoiled brats and take it out on the players, who don't deserve it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Wait, so people WANT to buy tickets to see the team in the new arena "funded" by taxpayers? Interesting.....

The select portion of people that don't care about the public funding obviously. Theres of course a range of views in that. There was plenty of opposition to public funding as well, according to polls the plurality.

But anyway you stated you didn't want to get into that debate so lets not do it here. You can pm or discuss in another thread if you want.

cheers and good day sir

Connor Mcdavey*

But it doesn't do anything. One spoiled whiny fan in the stands doesn't really send a message. In fact we haven't seen much change since this whole debacle started. It's a meaningless gesture that shows two things:

2) The Fans are spoiled brats and take it out on the players, who don't deserve it.

lol.. the fan's are the spoiled brats? not the players?? How could somebody who makes 6 freaking million dollars show up to a home opener and not give a damn about effort or trying to win a game deserve anything less than a jersey tossing???? *cough cough jordan eberle cough*

The players are always getting free passes. Coaching changes, general manager changes, new assistant coaches. When can we call a spade a spade and say our team sucks?

Legitimately curious.

If I paid big money for tickets, helping fund a new arena complex downtown, and bought apparel to support my team: I can wipe my ass with this jersey and throw it on the ice because that's what this team deserves. You don't like it? Start winning games. It's easier to fix something like winning games then to change opinions of thousands of angry fans.

Zihuatanejo

Aug 4, 2014
Alberta

Very true, acts of protest are different than losing ones temper and acting out. I'm inclined to think this situation was not a calculated act of protest simply because of the phone in the pocket. But who knows.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
Well, you saw him do it. I'm sure others did as well. I guess he should have got the camera man's attention, and made the entire arena look at him while he did it. That way we could be sure that he wasn't making it about himself. :laugh:

Why is he "Mr. Tough Guy?" The only tough guys I see are the ones in this thread who want to attack him for what he did. Seems to me, there are a lot of people acting like spoiled kids for wanting to punch a guy, or berate him to death over throwing a piece of clothing on the ice.

Sigh... To be clear I didn't say I saw him do it did I? I said that I was standing close to where he threw it meaning over in that general area. My point was that when it happened the crowd was exiting. I decided to take the liberty of assuming that it was about him simply because I can't believe anyone would toss in the hoodie after the first game of the season. I could be wrong of course, perhaps he had decided that the home opener 2014 was his last straw. Lose the game and he's done! His call I guess.

I used the analogy "Mr Tough Guy" because my guess is that's what he was trying to be. Nothing more than a show-off who had too much to drink. (the fact that he tossed his phone lends evidence to that)

But maybe you're spot on and I'm way off base. With turkey in the oven on Thanksgiving Day I think I'll enjoy the family instead. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Zihuatanejo

Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
lol.. the fan's are the spoiled brats? not the players?? How could somebody who makes 6 freaking million dollars show up to a home opener and not give a damn about effort or trying to win a game deserve anything less than a jersey tossing???? *cough cough jordan eberle cough*

The players are always getting free passes. Coaching changes, general manager changes, new assistant coaches. When can we call a spade a spade and say our team sucks?

Legitimately curious.

If I paid big money for tickets, helping fund a new arena complex downtown, and bought apparel to support my team: I can wipe my ass with this jersey and throw it on the ice because that's what this team deserves. You don't like it? Start winning games. It's easier to fix something like winning games then to change opinions of thousands of angry fans.

Sorry but I couldn't disagree more. I hate this line of thinking, money isn't an excuse to act like an ass although sadly in this world many think it is.

And how exactly can you claim to know how much any player cares? Some people do not outwardly display emotion. Being pissed about lack of production is one thing and fine in a sports environment but claiming they don't care? Ludicrous in my opinion and impossible to substantiate.

Connor Mcdavey*

Sorry but I couldn't disagree more. I hate this line of thinking, money isn't an excuse to act like an ass although sadly in this world many think it is.

And how exactly can you claim to know how much any player cares? Some people do not outwardly display emotion. Being pissed about lack of production is one thing and fine in a sports environment but claiming they don't care? Ludicrous in my opinion and impossible to substantiate.

It's not about the money. I'm a full time student and if given the chance I would throw a jersey on the ice, simply because it's an effort to light a fire under the teams behind. We've been sold the same crap since I can remember how this year is different and this year were competitive. Bottom line is were one of the top teams on paper, and when we want to play like a team we can play outstanding. The fact that we see this once every couple months is exactly the reason why I feel there is no effort. Listen. Only 30 people are in that locker room and they know who cares and who doesn't. But, for the fans it's a numbers game. Win or shut up, that's how it has to be.

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
Very true, acts of protest are different than losing ones temper and acting out. I'm inclined to think this situation was not a calculated act of protest simply because of the phone in the pocket. But who knows.

I would think that if someone were to throw a jersey out of a calculated act of protest that there would be some thought involved as to which name plate was on the jersey. As Replacement was talking about his Smyth and Anderson jerseys, those would be a poor choice since those players epitomized the hard-work ethic. It would seem hardly right to disgrace a player who played his heart out while he wore the jersey. I could see someone throwing a Lowe jersey that to me would seem like a calculated protest.
If the jersey is not branded with the target of the protest then it should have no name at all.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

Fine it doesnt do anything in your opinion. I think going to church is irrelevant watching UFC is a waste of time as well.

If a fan pays $200 for a jersey and throwing it is a good use of money to them more power to them.

If this bothers the organization and they find it embarrassing and they are taking it out on the hard working players that don't deserve it perhaps the team should start winning games?

The only reason jersey throwing is an issue is everyone and their mother knows Calgary with Girodano a rookie and a team of plugs played 100X harder than the Oilers young guns last season.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
It's not about the money. I'm a full time student and if given the chance I would throw a jersey on the ice, simply because it's an effort to light a fire under the teams behind. We've been sold the same crap since I can remember how this year is different and this year were competitive. Bottom line is were one of the top teams on paper, and when we want to play like a team we can play outstanding. The fact that we see this once every couple months is exactly the reason why I feel there is no effort. Listen. Only 30 people are in that locker room and they know who cares and who doesn't. But, for the fans it's a numbers game. Win or shut up, that's how it has to be.

Nobody's forcing you to buy anything.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
Not sure why there's so much support for littering the ice. Do you equally support other objects being thrown during the game? Beer, soda, popcorn, etc?

It's a childish, idiotic way of showing your displeasure. The better way would be to not buy a ticket in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: