OT - NO POLITICS We’re on to April & May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Any of my fellow HR people use UKG Ready? If so, I'd appreciate your thoughts on it. We need to replace our existing HRIS and payroll, and UKG is one we're currently looking at.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Any of my fellow HR people use UKG Ready? If so, I'd appreciate your thoughts on it. We need to replace our existing HRIS and payroll, and UKG is one we're currently looking at.

They all suck but UKG super sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: sooshii

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
Lovely day....

Haircut at Great Clips - although I could have done w/o the MT19 ad in my booth

Restocked my goodies stash for tomorrow's pregame snacks

Returned overdue library books and had my fines dismissed

Big Apple Bagels - blueberry - for this week's breakfasts

Found sweet potato hush puppies.....WOW

BBQ pizza from Blaze Pizza....oh yeah

All in all - a very good day....I am very grateful...

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
We use ADP and refer to it as the "least-bad HR/Payroll system"

ADP as a system is great. Easy to use, super intuitive, visually pleasing.

If something goes wrong, though, their customer service is atrocious, and has been for the ~18 years I've been in HR. If they could figure that part out, they'd be head and shoulders above the competition. In my current job we left ADP for a smaller system (iSolved). The system isn't as good but the customer service is much better so, overall, it's a better fit. Things always end up going wrong, and changes always need to be made, and that is an easier process with a smaller company more focused on customer service.

@Bruinaura , in my previous job we left ADP for UKG. UKG completely overpromised their capabilities (like, breach of contract level) and implementation was a NIGHTMARE. We implemented because we had already left ADP and ran with it for about a year, and ended up going back to ADP. Had started re-implementation when I left.

Reactions: McGarnagle

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
we use Dayforce, like most HR systems, aspects of the platform are very good, others suck and as all HRIS , the customer support is miserable

Scottie , what are you doing?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
We use Dayforce and we’ve been able to make some customizations. Used Oracle R12 and Fusion in the past.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I don't envy you payroll folks! My old company was a non-union construction company in NH but we did alot of public work in MA which meant workers got paid prevailing wages.

So they had a private/NH and a public rate. And they could be multiple trades/rates in a day. And the rate has a W2 portion and a health portion and a pension portion. And the rates depended on what town/region you worked in MA. We chewed through payroll clerks, it was bad.

We also had a Department of Labor audit because instead of sending the guys directly to the sites, we had them meet at the shop to carpool in a work truck. Meeting at the shop intentionally or unintentionally led to them "working" but not getting paid. So we had to pay $100k in back wages.

Don't miss it!

Current company moved the payroll department from NYC to Cincinnati. One overworked payroll clerk sent 3,000 W2s a phishing scam a few years ago. Their turnover is also nuts and I think some of the tasks are being done in India now.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
All I can say is I do not miss having to do payroll & the associated forms, reports etc. that go with it. It was a pain in the ass.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Here are some time consuming questions for a monotonous, endless day, waiting for 7:00.

1) Tell us about a funny phrase your parents, grandparents, teachers, etc., used to say that no one uses now.

2) If you were given a chance to go back in time, would you have wanted to experience Woodstock? I mean, actually lived there for the whole thing in the field.

3) What is the best Halloween costume you ever wore?

4) Do you like scary movies? If so, which is the scariest movie in your opinion?

5) Have you ever experienced something so scary or traumatic that time actually slowed down in your brain?

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
1) My grandparents are from Portugal. Close the light and clean the snow come to mind.

2) Yes! but based on the times the acts went on, I would probably need to be one some drugs to stay up.

3) Blind Ref was a popular one

4) The Descent or the Witch are the only ones that made some sort of impact, most are just meh.

5) Not that I can remember.

Reactions: caz16

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

If something goes wrong, though, their customer service is atrocious, and has been for the ~18 years I've been in HR. If they could figure that part out, they'd be head and shoulders above the competition. In my current job we left ADP for a smaller system (iSolved). The system isn't as good but the customer service is much better so, overall, it's a better fit. Things always end up going wrong, and changes always need to be made, and that is an easier process with a smaller company more focused on customer service.

@Bruinaura , in my previous job we left ADP for UKG. UKG completely overpromised their capabilities (like, breach of contract level) and implementation was a NIGHTMARE. We implemented because we had already left ADP and ran with it for about a year, and ended up going back to ADP. Had started re-implementation when I left.
Yeah, every time there's some simple thing that they screw up, we have to call the account manager who will just be like "you have to call time and attendance" or "we have to open a service request with tech support". Like why do we even have you as a senior account manager if you're just going to transfer it to some other department, Jeff?

I don't envy you payroll folks! My old company was a non-union construction company in NH but we did alot of public work in MA which meant workers got paid prevailing wages.

So they had a private/NH and a public rate. And they could be multiple trades/rates in a day. And the rate has a W2 portion and a health portion and a pension portion. And the rates depended on what town/region you worked in MA. We chewed through payroll clerks, it was bad.

We also had a Department of Labor audit because instead of sending the guys directly to the sites, we had them meet at the shop to carpool in a work truck. Meeting at the shop intentionally or unintentionally led to them "working" but not getting paid. So we had to pay $100k in back wages.

Don't miss it!

Current company moved the payroll department from NYC to Cincinnati. One overworked payroll clerk sent 3,000 W2s a phishing scam a few years ago. Their turnover is also nuts and I think some of the tasks are being done in India now.
I like payroll, you deal with facts and numbers, there's some situational decisionmaking but not as much dealing with people. But at least a couple times a month we have to fix some problem because we find that someone 3 years ago forgot something and it causes issues today. I still prefer payroll to HR.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Yeah, every time there's some simple thing that they screw up, we have to call the account manager who will just be like "you have to call time and attendance" or "we have to open a service request with tech support". Like why do we even have you as a senior account manager if you're just going to transfer it to some other department, Jeff?

I like payroll, you deal with facts and numbers, there's some situational decisionmaking but not as much dealing with people. But at least a couple times a month we have to fix some problem because we find that someone 3 years ago forgot something and it causes issues today. I still prefer payroll to HR.

Ugh. Jeff is the worst. I have dealt with many Jeff's in my time.

• Haha
Reactions: McGarnagle

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Here are some time consuming questions for a monotonous, endless day, waiting for 7:00.

1) Tell us about a funny phrase your parents, grandparents, teachers, etc., used to say that no one uses now.

My dad had a few:

"Shit, and two is eight."
"<Insert non-fun activity> is like kissing your sister." (sounds weird now, but it made sense then).

2) If you were given a chance to go back in time, would you have wanted to experience Woodstock? I mean, actually lived there for the whole thing in the field.

I'd honestly rather be anywhere else. The weather sucked, the music was barely heard, and I know I'd throw up from the combined smells of B.O., skunk weed, and patchouli oil.

I was Van Gogh's self portrait one year.

197298_10151223275764763_239854400_n.jpg

4) Do you like scary movies? If so, which is the scariest movie in your opinion?

Not really. Most I find stupid, but The Exorcist scared the hell out of me. Probably that Catholic guilt.
5) Have you ever experienced something so scary or traumatic that time actually slowed down in your brain?

I was cut off on 95 by Hartford, the car came within inches of clipping my front end. I swerved to miss and did a 360 in the middle of the 4 lane highway at 75 MPH. Everything slowed down to the point where I easily steered through the spin and popped the clutch in when I came around and continued forward. I pulled over, and a car that saw what happened also pulled over to check on me. By that time, I was a shaking mess, but the spin itself was pure clarity. Never experienced it before or since.

Ugh. Jeff is the worst. I have dealt with many Jeff's in my time.

We're not all bad!

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
1. "There are no pills for stupid....." That one got used a lot when I was a kid. My grandparents would say it in German..

2. No. It looked like an absolute shit-show.

3. My wife and I dressed up as M&M boxes. She was plain, I was "with nuts". I had a pair of coconuts stuffed inside a nylon stocking, for emphasis.

4. Not really my thing, but I liked "Signs" alot.

5. Yes. Was driving down the interstate heading home from work in a rain/sleet storm. 18 Wheeler heading in the opposite direction jacknifed and came across the grass median right for me. I saw it coming and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. Time slowed down and I remember thinking to myself "man, I hope its a quick end.." I remember staring directly at the rear double wheels of the trailer and the next thing I know, my windshield is covered in mud, sod and rocks from the trailer sideswiping across the grass and I'm just waiting for the crunch. It never happened, and to this day, I still don't know how. I was white as a sheet when I got home and my wife gave me a double bourbon...

Last edited:

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston

1) Whenever my mother would goof something up she would yell, “shit, piss, and corruption!” I have absolutely no idea what this means but she still uses it today.

2) That’s a no from me. Large crowds wig me out.

3) Never been a big Halloween guy. I don’t think I’ve dressed up or been to a Halloween party since junior high.

4) I do, my dad and I would watch them. He showed me Poltergeist when I was 8 and I didn’t sleep for a week.

5) in my early 20s, I was diagnosed with a very rare bone tumor and had to spend a week in MGH after corrective surgery to remove it. My sleep pattern was all messed up so I’d be awake overnight and each minute felt like an hour. Longest week of my life by far.

Reactions: caz16

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

1. My mom once told us to "chill up" instead of "chill out" and we never let her forget it lol

2. No

3. No idea. Nothing original, anyway.

4. No

5. My mom was driving me back from an orthodontist appointment. We were on a two lane road and there was a truck stopped in the other lane waiting to turn left. A car behind him didn't pay attention, clipped the back end, and flipped over multiple times, coming right at us. It was slow motion, I could hear their car literally breaking up. Somehow my mom was able to get us out of the way in time. She asked if I was okay and I said yes. She said I screamed the whole time, I have no recollection of doing so. I was probably 10 years old at the time.

Reactions: BMC and caz16

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

UKG bought out Ascentis, the platform we've been using since 2005. :help: While it still functions, they have no plans to do any upgrades and it's a matter of "when not if" we'll have to switch to something. If we go with UKG Ready they are supposed to be able to transfer our existing data (where have I heard that before).

We use Paycom for payroll and it's a nightmare, so would like to have one system do all.

I hate this whole process. I don't think great customer service and support exists anywhere in the HRIS/payroll realm anymore. They all just want to sell you the latest and greatest modules that aren't always so great.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
UKG bought out Ascentis, the platform we've been using since 2005. :help: While it still functions, they have no plans to do any upgrades and it's a matter of "when not if" we'll have to switch to something. If we go with UKG Ready they are supposed to be able to transfer our existing data (where have I heard that before).

We use Paycom for payroll and it's a nightmare, so would like to have one system do all.

I hate this whole process. I don't think great customer service and support exists anywhere in the HRIS/payroll realm anymore. They all just want to sell you the latest and greatest modules that aren't always so great.

Yeah, they can transfer it...but you need to make sure that the new system matches up EXACTLY to the legacy system, or it won't work.

Realistically, any system can accept transferred data, you just need to work with them and the legacy company to get the data dumped in a format that works.

Multiple systems is a huge issue since it's hard to establish one true system of record, they don't talk to each other, multiple data input/failure points, etc. Challenge is no company out there has found a do-it-all solution that works for all or most industries.

It's infuriating.

Again, they all suck, but my advice is always to run far from anything related to UKG.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

1) My mother was always getting sayings wrong but my favourite was "never kick a gift horse in the teeth".

2) I would not - the music was great but I could never survive in those conditions.

3) Mine weren't great but I had fun trying to look like Cleopatra

4) I used to like scary movies when I was young, not so much now with all the blood & gore.
The scariest was Poltergeist and the static screen, and the clown....

5) Yes, I was walking across a cross-walk at the local mall on Christmas Eve, it was really slushy. A van came racing around the corner of the building and saw me just in time, hadn't stopped at the stop sign there, hit the brakes and slid through the slush - I was frozen in time, the van stopped about 3 inches from me in the middle of the road. When I got back in my car, I broke down and sobbed, I really thought I was going to be dead on Christmas Eve and all the thoughts of my family went through my head while that van came towards me. It is a weird feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad