Jersey Tossing

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Fine it doesnt do anything in your opinion. I think going to church is irrelevant watching UFC is a waste of time as well.

If a fan pays $200 for a jersey and throwing it is a good use of money to them more power to them.

If this bothers the organization and they find it embarrassing and they are taking it out on the hard working players that don't deserve it perhaps the team should start winning games?

The only reason jersey throwing is an issue is everyone and their mother knows Calgary with Girodano a rookie and a team of plugs played 100X harder than the Oilers young guns last season.

I honestly don't think it bothers them anymore. It's become such a commonplace thing that it's lost it's edge. It's like "Oh, another jersey on the ice? Okay then."

Littering the ice is akin to things Canuck fans do, I guess we aren't so different after all

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I honestly don't think it bothers them anymore. It's become such a commonplace thing that it's lost it's edge. It's like "Oh, another jersey on the ice? Okay then."

Littering the ice is akin to things Canuck fans do, I guess we aren't so different after all

Its front page of the sports section everytime its done and its spawned a threat 5+ pages long. It clearly bothers them.

All jersey throwing is doing is bringing attention to how some fans are so disgusted at the effort this team is putting in they are willing to disregard monetary value to convey their absolute disgust.

If these professional athletes are too fragile to take that they should perhaps choose another career line where they will not be under the scope to such a degree.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its front page of the sports section everytime its done and its spawned a threat 5+ pages long. It clearly bothers them.

All jersey throwing is doing is bringing attention to how some fans are so disgusted at the effort this team is putting in they are willing to disregard monetary value to convey their absolute disgust.

If these professional athletes are too fragile to take that they should perhaps choose another career line where they will not be under the scope to such a degree.

Oh it is? Well then it's big news again! And.... nothing has changed, so again it's a worthless effort.

Look, the organization knows how frustrated the fanbase is. The protests, the jersey throwings, the signs, they know. They aren't that dumb.

But they don't do anything about it, nor will they. And the players can just stop caring about the sport and the fans that pay their salaries. What do they care? They can easily get traded elsewhere and play their hearts out there. Watch Hall pull a Pronger and go elsewhere and win a Cup.

The jersey tossing is juvenile, stupid, and pointless. Because it hasn't changed a damn thing. The team still sucks and nobody upstairs cares. So keep doing it in the hopes something will eventually change, and probably get worse!

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Oh it is? Well then it's big news again! And.... nothing has changed, so again it's a worthless effort.

Look, the organization knows how frustrated the fanbase is. The protests, the jersey throwings, the signs, they know. They aren't that dumb.

But they don't do anything about it, nor will they. And the players can just stop caring about the sport and the fans that pay their salaries. What do they care? They can easily get traded elsewhere and play their hearts out there. Watch Hall pull a Pronger and go elsewhere and win a Cup.

The jersey tossing is juvenile, stupid, and pointless. Because it hasn't changed a damn thing. The team still sucks and nobody upstairs cares. So keep doing it in the hopes something will eventually change, and probably get worse!

Its funny you think this team plays its heart out. The biggest knock on this team when comparing it to Calgary is how much harder working of a team Calgary is with significantly less talent.

This is a city that gave a joke of an organization an epic sending off for Ryan Smyth so much so that Hall and Eberle both said seeing that they want to play their full careers here.

The only reason jersey throwing is an issue is it is downright humiliating for Eakins and a stern reminder of how badly management is failing.

I'm hoping this team goes winless for the next 8 games and jerseys are thrown at all home games so that we can finally fire a coach who dedicates his post game comments to jersey tossing hodgepodge instead of how he is going to fix the club.

Anyone that doesnt like jersey tossing can close their eyes at this sporting equivalent of a bible burning and allow tier 1 fans to partake in their expression of discontent.

Point remains I buy a $200 jersey its mine to do with it as I please.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its funny you think this team plays its heart out. The biggest knock on this team when comparing it to Calgary is how much harder working of a team Calgary is with significantly less talent.

This is a city that gave a joke of an organization an epic sending off for Ryan Smyth so much so that Hall and Eberle both said seeing that they want to play their full careers here.

The only reason jersey throwing is an issue is it is downright humiliating for Eakins and a stern reminder of how badly management is failing.

I'm hoping this team goes winless for the next 8 games and jerseys are thrown at all home games so that we can finally fire a coach who dedicates his post game comments to jersey tossing hodgepodge instead of how he is going to fix the club.

Anyone that doesnt like jersey tossing can close their eyes at this sporting equivalent of a bible burning and allow tier 1 fans to partake in their expression of discontent.

Point remains I buy a $200 jersey its mine to do with it as I please.

I don't think this team plays it's heart out. They're lazy, stupid, irresponsible, just like the organization itself. The Oilers are a joke. Nothing will change that but a complete organizational cleansing. Despite that though, jerseys being thrown on the ice won't help that.

And to your last point, I'll buy something, come to your place and dump it on your floor because I'm dissatisfied, okay? We'll see if you change things or if you'll just continue to not care.

Jersey throwing is as much of a joke as the Oilers are. Because it's a pointless gesture that has done nothing positive for the organization. Don't like watching the team? Don't buy the tickets. Separate yourself from the organization. Not giving them your dollar is the highest form of protest. All this jersey **** does is make the fanbase look foolish. The Leafs fans are doing it now, and we all know that's not going to change anything over there either.

Oh and one more thing, the team has deserved to get booed off the ice on certain games. The first ****ing game of the year? They've had many, many worse ones than that. Give me a ****ing break. That joker deserves nothing but the highest form of mockery. Someone buy him a Canucks jersey.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
He hasn't said anything about it since the first occurrence, and even then he was asked by the media. But I guess making things up to fit an agenda isn't entirely new here.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I don't think this team plays it's heart out. They're lazy, stupid, irresponsible, just like the organization itself. The Oilers are a joke. Nothing will change that but a complete organizational cleansing. Despite that though, jerseys being thrown on the ice won't help that.

And to your last point, I'll buy something, come to your place and dump it on your floor because I'm dissatisfied, okay? We'll see if you change things or if you'll just continue to not care.

Jersey throwing is as much of a joke as the Oilers are. Because it's a pointless gesture that has done nothing positive for the organization. Don't like watching the team? Don't buy the tickets. Separate yourself from the organization. Not giving them your dollar is the highest form of protest. All this jersey **** does is make the fanbase look foolish. The Leafs fans are doing it now, and we all know that's not going to change anything over there either.

Oh and one more thing, the team has deserved to get booed off the ice on certain games. The first ****ing game of the year? They've had many, many worse ones than that. Give me a ****ing break. That joker deserves nothing but the highest form of mockery. Someone buy him a Canucks jersey.

Its not really my place or your place to command tier 1 fans what to do with their $200 jerseys. If they want to toss them I aint losing no sleep. It makes Eakins blood boil and Im all in favor of anything that does that.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its not really my place or your place to command tier 1 fans what to do with their $200 jerseys. If they want to toss them I aint losing no sleep. It makes Eakins blood boil and Im all in favor of anything that does that.

...But it doesn't. I don't think he cares one iota what pissy fans think. He's going to do his own thing no matter how many jersies hit the ice.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
People who spend 200$ on a jersey can do whatever they want with it for all I care. I really don't think it sends a message, at this point as long as the team is making money I don't think Katz will change a damn thing. He is happy with the way it is, he gets to be all buddy buddy with his childhood heros and he will never have the balls to fire any one of them. So, to really send a message, I would encourage people who want change to not attend games, which was starting to happen at the end of last season. I really think its the only way Katz will see that he does not have fans support. It is really unfortunate that it has to come down to wasting money in order to try and show displeasure, but after all it is the Oilers clueless management that we are talking about. They are just happy to be getting their 10 million dollar checks at the end of the year after yet another embarrassing season.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Back on topic, the loss wasn't deserving of a jersey toss. If it was for our loose cannon coach it better have his name on the back.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I don't live in Edmonton so I don't follow the politics of the whole thing, but maybe if City Council is that dumb you should be protesting them instead. Or just convince them to let the Oilers go rot.

Of course there are many, many other places to live.

It's not that bad tbh. I believe Katz pays for approximately 53% of an arena he doesn't own and is a 35 year tenant of, so that's OK I guess.

Jersey toss seems sort of ridiculous to me, one could do more damage by saving money and just not buying Oilers ****.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
Ban the throwers for life from all Oilers games in Edmonton.

cool fix bro

8 years of millionaires taking fans to the cleaners in a canadian market... still have jobs, still "throw" crap teams onto the ice every night...

or ban someone who protests this, regardless of that nights effort.

"someone threw a jersey on the ice... a UFA might not want to come..." (thinks of Souray, skype firing, bad drafts, etc, etc)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

TheSubbanator76

Oct 13, 2014
It's quite humorous to see people calling for these jersey thrower's heads when this management team has disrespected the history, the city, and the hockey culture of this city for so long. How is it possible that all of these guys still have their jobs after poor management/drafting/player handling year after year after year. Combine that with some of the highest ticket prices in hockey and a new overbudget building that is largely coming at the expense of tax payers, I would toss my jersey in disgust as well....without my cellphone in it.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
This organization is about to write off another entire season, yet the seats are full. That is the reason why nothing changes. Look at the attendance in Florida. If that happened here, do u think they'd be so complacent?

Throw all the jerseys you want. These guys need to be embarrassed into change because the bottom line won't do it.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
This organization is about to write off another entire season, yet the seats are full. That is the reason why nothing changes. Look at the attendance in Florida. If that happened here, do u think they'd be so complacent?

Throw all the jerseys you want. These guys need to be embarrassed into change because the bottom line won't do it.

This. If people want to force change, stop going to games. Don't renew season tickets.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Like I've mentioned the new arena fronted ironically by taxpayer money only guarantees that tickets continue to be sold. The vast majority of seats are seasons seats and are currently being retained as a means of placeholding seats for the new arena. The demand is not to see this current team, Its to have highly valued seats and privs in the new arena.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's quite humorous to see people calling for these jersey thrower's heads when this management team has disrespected the history, the city, and the hockey culture of this city for so long. How is it possible that all of these guys still have their jobs after poor management/drafting/player handling year after year after year. Combine that with some of the highest ticket prices in hockey and a new overbudget building that is largely coming at the expense of tax payers, I would toss my jersey in disgust as well....without my cellphone in it.

Yep. K Lowe, through ineptitude and through a stubborn tenacity to cling to a job for decades has hurt this team and logo more than anybody tossing it.

That this once proud logo is now used to prop up whatever old boys club member that needs a job is one of the things that tarnished this logo. As I mocked in another post my suspicion is that the latest gathering of the gloried crew will only result in some more positions being quietly granted soon. I would be surprised if it didn't occur.

Nobody runs successful private enterprise like this. Jobs should be on merit. But look through all those retained in management and you almost always see some kind of familial or other connection.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Like I've mentioned the new arena fronted ironically by taxpayer money only guarantees that tickets continue to be sold. The vast majority of seats are seasons seats and are currently being retained as a means of placeholding seats for the new arena. The demand is not to see this current team, Its to have highly valued seats and privs in the new arena.

I tend to agree. It seems that a significant number of STH are buying tickets like they buy stocks rather than for the immediate benefits. In stocks you buy them for the future growth you can obtain (hopefully) in the future.

People who are still dumping 10k+ in season tickets are most likely doing it to hold their seat for a team that will hopefully win something in the future in the new building. I am not convinced people are dropping big bucks to see what they saw in the home opener or what they've seen in recent memory.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I want to the thank the season ticket holders for buying those tickets.

I'd much rather watch this team fail then the one in the early 2000's fail.

I have hope for this team.. had none for the other.

The goal is for no one to show up for the game and get the team payroll axed so we can trade Hall and company for draft picks all to get Lowe, MacT and company fired? or for Katz to sell the team?

Seems like a case of careful what you wish for to me.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Is it really working in Florida though? They've sucked for years, with pathetic attendance and nothing changes.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I would think Eakins has been told to ignore the jersey tossing. Don't pay them any attention, hopefully they'll go away.

I think the jersey toss was actually a pretty potent symbol of the frustration Oilers fans were experiencing last year, but to do it again at this point in the season just seems idiotic.

We're already easy enough to ridicule, stuff like this just makes it easier.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I would think Eakins has been told to ignore the jersey tossing. Don't pay them any attention, hopefully they'll go away.

I think the jersey toss was actually a pretty potent symbol of the frustration Oilers fans were experiencing last year, but to do it again at this point in the season just seems idiotic.

We're already easy enough to ridicule, stuff like this just makes it easier.
Maybe its just me living in enemy territory but I doubt it can get any easier. Bashing the Oilers now is like bashing Nickelback. Sure they both suck but the novelty of bashing them faded at least 5 years ago *yawn*

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
That will force change alright. Change to a new city.

Yep, fans in this city have very little leverage. Especially since performance has had negligible impact on attendance thus far. There was pent up demand for tickets beyond capacity giving them a buffer, I have no doubt they have eaten into this buffer. The new arena is certainly going to to raise the stakes, but it probably also buys them at least another couple years grace as it's going to be easy to sell tickets in a new barn even if the teams performance stays the course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad