Jersey Tossing

Butane Fan

Jan 29, 2013
Cowtown
I get to Rexall once a year at the best of times. I got the general idea of tossing a jersey when no effort was expended by the team. But last night makes me think it is a fad that has gone to far. I am not sure if I could sit there and watch some half wit toss a jersey. Do the fans in the general area just sit there an say nothing? Or is here any reaction? Moderators do what u will

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I get to Rexall once a year at the best of times. I got the general idea of tossing a jersey when no effort was expended by the team. But last night makes me think it is a fad that has gone to far. I am not sure if I could sit there and watch some half wit toss a jersey. Do the fans in the general area just sit there an say nothing? Or is here any reaction? Moderators do what u will

Ban the throwers for life from all Oilers games in Edmonton.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006

Is it worth it to throw away $200 hockey jersey? No

If a person hates Wall Street so much, do you think this person will throw away a gold bullion? I bet someone will dare to do that.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I understood the jersey tossing the first time last year. The more it went on, the more old it got. I'm damn frustrated with this team, but being able to watch the game live along with wearing the jersey is always quite a treat.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

This. It's pathetic and pointless. We have enough trouble attracting free agents, what do you think Fayne, Nikitin, Pouliot etc thought last night? A game that the Oilers actually played quite well in and controlled most of the pace, and their logo gets disrespected like that? Disgusting. It's not hip or edgy or making a statement. It's juvenile and I wouldn't feel the least bit bad if the person sitting beside the jersey tosser gave him a hard shot in the jaw.

Oh, and if I'd been Perron, I would have hammered that moron's cell into the boards as hard as I could.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Last night was particularly embarrassing with all the alumni in the building, and the fact that it was game 1. If it's game 50 and we are still playing like **** and giving **** all, then fine.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The first time it happened it was well deserved. Throwing one after last nights game, a game which the Oiler's actually played hard most of the game was just idiotic. Hopefully they threw the guys cell phone in the trash and gave the jersey to a kid.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The first time it happened it was well deserved. Throwing one after last nights game, a game which the Oiler's actually played hard most of the game was just idiotic. Hopefully they threw the guys cell phone in the trash and gave the jersey to a kid.

The guy's cellphone is with an employer at Rexall atm. If he wants it back, he needs to man up and go there and retrieve it according to good ol Perron. :laugh:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't know if you can do that after you've publicly announced that the first guy that did it gets to drop the puck at the next home playoff game. (Assuming of course that the twenty something year old guy hasn't already died from old age.)

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
A new season is about new beginnings.

It sucked to see the misery of last year dredged up and dumped on the team in the season opener. It was a frustrating loss but not one worth tossing a jersey for.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Last night was particularly embarrassing with all the alumni in the building, and the fact that it was game 1. If it's game 50 and we are still playing like **** and giving **** all, then fine.

Last night was game 657.

Some people's memories don't refresh over the off-season.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
At this point, jersey tossing is starting to settle in with the culture of the franchise, people will probably be throwing jerseys on the ice 30 years from now after bad losses. I doubt it'll even stop after it loses all it's ability shock people, which is the primary reason people are doing it.

But that's what happens when you perpetuate a toxic culture of cronyism while turning a sports franchise into the laughingstock of the league. If your only answer to fixing those problems is to rehire, promote, and reward the idiots who made it all possible, then fans with more emotion than good sense are going to do things they think will display their feelings of betrayal.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Toss a jersey after every loss until they make the playoffs. By then it'll be a 20 year tradition and people will continue to do it anyway. It'll be like the Octopus or the Potvin Sucks! chant.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I don't know if you can do that after you've publicly announced that the first guy that did it gets to drop the puck at the next home playoff game. (Assuming of course that the twenty something year old guy hasn't already died from old age.)

Yeah you can, you just start banning them. It's really quite easy. A two sentence memo could get the policy changed.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
Toss a jersey after every loss until they make the playoffs. By then it'll be a 20 year tradition and people will continue to do it anyway. It'll be like the Octopus or the Potvin Sucks! chant.

This. Honestly I wish that there would just be more than one or two jerseys, if at least a dozen would be thrown a clear message would be shown.

This continual loser culture is unacceptable, and makes wearing the jerseys by the fans shameful for us. We have every right.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
This. It's pathetic and pointless. We have enough trouble attracting free agents, what do you think Fayne, Nikitin, Pouliot etc thought last night? A game that the Oilers actually played quite well in and controlled most of the pace, and their logo gets disrespected like that? Disgusting. It's not hip or edgy or making a statement. It's juvenile and I wouldn't feel the least bit bad if the person sitting beside the jersey tosser gave him a hard shot in the jaw.

Oh, and if I'd been Perron, I would have hammered that moron's cell into the boards as hard as I could.

Real classy stuff right here.

You suggest a harmless act should be met with violence? That's far more immature and disgusting than tossing a jersey. Get a grip, man, it's a game.

scliff

Nov 28, 2009
I love the team, but wow am I ever sick of the fanbase. Why throw a jersey on the ice? Especially after last nights game of all games. The combination of absolute stupidity and the hubris in that action about sums up oilers fans right now. No one cares how "disgusted" you are. If it's that bad then go cheer for another team and quit being an attention seeking drama queen. Nobody will miss you. HFOil is the internet forum equivalent of the jersey throwing guy right now.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
This team has been terrible for almost a decade now, I think it's time to move on from the jersey throwing though....

Bring on the dog crap, because that is what this team has looked like the past 8 years.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
This team has been terrible for almost a decade now, I think it's time to move on from the jersey throwing though....

Bring on the dog crap, because that is what this team has looked like the past 8 years.

They finished 9th in 2007-08 NHL season and missed the playoffs by three points. You think they played terrible? :shakehead

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Real classy stuff right here.

You suggest a harmless act should be met with violence? That's far more immature and disgusting than tossing a jersey. Get a grip, man, it's a game.

I suggest that I wouldnt have any pity for the person that threw the jersey. Not one iota.

if you don't want to be a fan of the team anymore, jump on someone else's bandwagon. You won't be missed. Throwing crap on the ice and disrespecting the team shows what, precisely? That you have disposable income? Congratulations. All you're accomplishing is pissing off the players - half of which are probably marking down the days until they can get the hell out of here.

Ultimately if you're the type of 'fan' that would throw a jersey or hoodie onto the ice after a loss, do yourselves and everyone else a favor - stay the **** home, donate your tickets to a kid that actually wants to be there, and go ***** online about how unfair it is that your NHL team isn't good. I'm sure fans in Quebec City will be incredibly receptive to your feelings. Go ask a Winnipeg fan how much fun it was not having a team.

We're all pissed off that the team sucks but a fan flinging a jersey is no better than a monkey flinging its own feces.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I like the jersey tossing. Its one way for us fans to convey how disgusted we are with the team's effort and compete level especially when you have robots like Stauffer and Eakins programed to BS.

If someone pays $200 to go to a game and $200 to throw their jersey more power to them.

I dont blame Eakins for being upset. People are paying $200 to convey their disgust with his team and thats down right humiliating.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
All for it.
If they play like they did last year or the year before every game, why would it change because it's game one?

You have the organization trying to re-sell everyone on the same **** every year. MacTavish "We are significantly better"

So they should expect the same response. Your jersey on the ice.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
All for it.
If they play like they did last year or the year before every game, why would it change because it's game one?

You have the organization trying to re-sell everyone on the same **** every year. MacTavish "We are significantly better"

So they should expect the same response. Your jersey on the ice.

Did you remember the 2007-08 NHL season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad