Jeremy Roenick done on NBC

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I would have liked to see a different path here. What he said was inappropriate, but getting rid of him wasn’t the only form of remediation. He brought a good energy and viewpoint to the broadcasts that otherwise can get kind of antiseptic and bland.
They simply buried the problem. Corporations usually do that. The image is everything.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Everyone would rally around her? I mean really, look at the behemoths that have been taken down my women just recently and rightfully so they deserved it but show me an example of a women speaking out in a situation like this in sports and what were the consequences for her?

Since you seem to be so sure of yourself, why don't you show me?

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
Since you seem to be so sure of yourself, why don't you show me?
Huh? You said she wont say the same thing in front of a mic. I'm stating the fact of what she said the onus would be on you to show me an example of a similar situation and how if affected her and her career. I believe there wouldnt be any problems for her if she said something but if you can prove me wrong then I'll gladly admit maybe I am wrong

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Huh? You said she wont say the same thing in front of a mic. I'm stating the fact of what she said the onus would be on you to show me an example of a similar situation and how if affected her and her career.

I think it's so obvious what would happen to her career that as far as I know, no one has ever gone down that road so there are no examples to provide.

If I'm wrong, feel free to show us. If not, then stop insisting I provide an example when it's impossible to do so.

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
Everyone would rally around her? I mean really, look at the behemoths that have been taken down my women just recently and rightfully so they deserved it but show me an example of a women speaking out in a situation like this in sports and what were the consequences for her?
I don't think you're considering this from the perspective of a-day-in-the-life. The reality is that this business, like most, is male dominated, and women have long had the expectation or pressure to stay quiet and "take the higher road." With respect to the day-to-day interactions with her peers, make no mistake, women can face a certain kind of social ostracization in the workplace if they complain about harassment, even as they hear public support (sometimes from the same peers who are otherwise avoidant at work). It's a catch-22.

Like most things in life, there's a lot of nuance, especially when comparing public and private sentiments.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
I think it's so obvious what would happen to her career that as far as I know, no one has ever gone down that road so there are no examples to provide.

If I'm wrong, feel free to show us. If not, then stop insisting I provide an example when it's impossible to do so.
Lol your literally playing the god argument now. You just said something you cant substantiate and I'm saying based on this inciden, what she said and the lack of a single example of a womens career being ruined by calling out someone how can I prove something I've never seen but I do know what she did say whether it was public or not

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
I don't think you're considering this from the perspective of a-day-in-the-life. The reality is that this business, like most, is male dominated, and women have long had the expectation or pressure to stay quiet and "take the higher road." With respect to the day-to-day interactions with her peers, make no mistake, women can face a certain kind of social ostracization in the workplace if they complain about harassment, even as they hear public support (sometimes from the same peers who are otherwise avoidant at work). It's a catch-22.

Like most things in life, there's a lot of nuance, especially when comparing public and private sentiments.
Ok I can respect and agree with that. Cant you also see that while your.probably partially right that it is making a leap in saying that she didn't mean what she said, how can anyone possibly know that? I am just going by what she has said

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Exactly.

Lol your literally playing the god argument now. You just said something you cant substantiate and I'm saying based on this inciden, what she said and the lack of a single example of a womens career being ruined by calling out someone how can I prove something I've never seen but I do know what she did say whether it was public or not

Like I predicted you can't even come up with one example. If you can't understand why, the above post explain it perfectly, think about it.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
Exactly.

Like I predicted you can't even come up with one example. If you can't understand why, the above post explain it perfectly, think about it.
He does make a point. I dont doubt there is some truth to it but my issue is you are saying she didnt mean what she said. As if your speaking for her. This was on live tv as well wouldnt it look a little suspicious if she did say something and suddenly her job or whatever was suddenly in jeopardy? I'm not actually sure what example your asking me to provide? Or are you saying since it's a road not taken that makes you right

Last edited:

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
Ok I can respect and agree with that. Cant you also see that while your.probably partially right that it is making a leap in saying that she didn't mean what she said, how can anyone possibly know that? I am just going by what she has said
Consider this: a company is looking to hire a female anchor. One suffered through a very public debacle in the form of a sexual harassment case and the protracted accompanying fallout, the other is a relative unknown with "a clean slate." Does the company have the incentive to go with the lesser known candidate to avoid the potential spotlight and backlash of this "known figure"? It could definitely be a factor, and this does happen. It's one of the reasons that women who come forward often talk about the risk that they do to their careers when they speak out, and why you have to consider the nuance of public versus private comments.

In this case, Roenick pulled Tappen into a spotlight she didn't ask for, so it shouldn't be surprising if she tries to play down the issue to move back to grounds where she's comfortable. In a difficult situation, people often choose the path of least resistance. Again, a lot of nuance.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
Consider this: a company is looking to hire a female anchor. One suffered through a very public debacle in the form of a sexual harassment case and the protracted accompanying fallout, the other is a relative unknown with "a clean slate." Does the company have the incentive to go with the lesser known candidate to avoid the potential spotlight and backlash of this "known figure"? It could definitely be a factor, and this does happen. It's one of the reasons that women who come forward often talk about the risk that they do to their careers when they speak out, and why you have to consider the nuance of public versus private comments.

In this case, Roenick pulled Tappen into a spotlight she didn't ask for, so it shouldn't be surprising if she tries to play down the issue to move back to grounds where she's comfortable. In a difficult situation, people often choose the path of least resistance. Again, a lot of nuance.
I can get on board with that. I had a hard time arguing that's what's really going on. I truly don't believe it is but I also agree with you that stuff does go on. My original point being I still dont think its quite a fireable offense

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Except it wasn't between guys, it was broadcasted to the world on a very popular podcast.

And it wouldn't have been a big deal except for the outrage among people who likely didn't even hear the podcast in the first place. People just overreact about almost anything these days. If any of you people who heard this second hand were deeply offended by his comments, then you need to evaluate your own priorities. Get a life.

For me the most laughable thing is that NBC is acting like they have morals in the first place. NBC isn't an ethical corporation, and never has been. They are just bowing to the pressure from the oversensitive public and social media. Remember this is the network that Matt Lauer worked for. NBC suppressed reporting of the Weinstein scandal before it broke. They were accused by Gabrielle Union of allowing racially insensitive behavior on the set of America's Got Talent. But JR is such a big problem that they have to let him go over one insensitive comment? Give me a break. NBC let JR go to save face and repair their own tarnished reputation, and I'm not buying it for a second. NBC ain't the good guy, I'll tell you that much.

Reactions: Fixxer

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He does make a point. I dont doubt there is some truth to it but my issue is you are saying she didnt mean what she said. As if your speaking for her. This was on live tv as well wouldnt it look a little suspicious if she did say something and suddenly her job or whatever was suddenly in jeopardy? I'm not actually sure what example your asking me to provide? Or are you saying since it's a road not taken that makes you right

If I came off as if I'm speaking for her, I apologise. That was not my intent.

I meant to say that in all probability, she felt like if she wanted to keep her career on track, she had to respond publicly the way she did despite the fact that she more than likely was offended and creeped out. I also believe that the desire to keep her career on track was the reason for her saying what she did publicly, there's good reason for her to be concerned about her career in this situation and that's why saying how she really feels is "a road not taken".

Of course Roenick's behaviour was so stupid that it isn't something that happens often so the sample size isn't big here. At any rate, IMHO firing Roenick is a step in the right direction and hopefully we'll keep moving in the right direction and there will be a time in the not too distant future where a woman in this position can say what she feels publicly without fearing for here career. More than likely though, considering the glacial pace that these things move at it will take a fair bit of time to get there (if we ever do).

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
And it wouldn't have been a big deal except for the outrage among people who likely didn't even hear the podcast in the first place. People just overreact about almost anything these days. If any of you people who heard this second hand were deeply offended by his comments, then you need to evaluate your own priorities. Get a life.

What outrage? I keep asking for people to show the the outrage that led to JR getting suspended, but nobody is showing any.

I'm starting to suspect that this "outrage" is nothing more than a figment of your imagination.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

For me the most laughable thing is that NBC is acting like they have morals in the first place. NBC isn't an ethical corporation, and never has been. They are just bowing to the pressure from the oversensitive public and social media. Remember this is the network that Matt Lauer worked for. NBC suppressed reporting of the Weinstein scandal before it broke. They were accused by Gabrielle Union of allowing racially insensitive behavior on the set of America's Got Talent. But JR is such a big problem that they have to let him go over one insensitive comment? Give me a break. NBC let JR go to save face and repair their own tarnished reputation, and I'm not buying it for a second. NBC ain't the good guy, I'll tell you that much.

There was, and is, only one group outraged in this story.
And they aren't being outraged at what JR said.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
If I came off as if I'm speaking for her, I apologise. That was not my intent.

I meant to say that in all probability, she felt like if she wanted to keep her career on track, she had to respond publicly the way she did despite the fact that she more than likely was offended and creeped out. I also believe that the desire to keep her career on track was the reason for her saying what she did publicly, there's good reason for he to be concerned about her career in this situation and that's why saying how she really feels is "a road not taken".

Of course Roenick's behaviour was so stupid that it isn't something that happens often so the sample size isn't big here. At any rate, IMHO firing Roenick is a step in the right direction and hopefully we'll keep moving in the right direction and there will be a time in the not too distant future where a woman in this position can say what she feels publicly without fearing for here career. More than likely though, considering the glacial pace that these things move at it will take a fair bit of time to get there (if we ever do).
I honestly understand your point of view. I was on an hour long train ride and was just trying to mix it up just a bit. No hard feelings or anything. We.both can agree a crappy situation all around

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I'm ok with this. I never found him that entertaining or funny. He was just one of the few guys willing to show some personality back in the 90s.

I respect the hell out of his performance on the ice, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad