Jeremy Roenick done on NBC

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
It must be a very black and white world you live in, but most of us live in a society that is full of complexity and nuance. Something you say in private that is then put out into the world through some nefarious method is one thing, but if you willfully make a remark to a good friend in front of others who are offended in some way by that remark, you don't get to set the rules. You don't get to demand a reason for their offense. You may think you do, and you may think that since you and your friend don't find it offensive, no one should. That's the brand of arrogance that made that kind of inappropriate talk commonplace and something people (mainly women) had to just accept as normal until really not that long ago. I guarantee you that there are things which offend you that you could try to justify to another person and fail miserably because that's how these things work.

Jeremy Roenick was a waste of time and space on NBC broadcasts anyway. He then went out and make inappropriate comments publicly. He doesn't get to put something into the public space and then act like it's a private matter between he and a friend, and you don't get to make that comparison in his defense because it's a false comparison.
Its brilliant to me that you actually believe you can make a bunch of monkeys who kill each other every day, go to war constantly, people get ripped off and greed is a serious problem that a little nuance like a sexual innuendo needs to be stopped. I rarely if ever get offended and even if I did, I'd simply remove myself from the situation and not make a selfish commotion about something that really didn't hurt anyone. You have every right to be offended, but you cant have free speech and also monitor every single thing someone gets outraged over and the more you do the less free it is. Besides hate speech and racism when you start policing every misguided quote whate the point in having that right then?

Reactions: SurferBroChad

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Its brilliant to me that you actually believe you can make a bunch of monkeys who kill each other every day, go to war constantly, people get ripped off and greed is a serious problem that a little nuance like a sexual innuendo needs to be stopped. I rarely if ever get offended and even if I did, I'd simply remove myself from the situation and not make a selfish commotion about something that really didn't hurt anyone. You have every right to be offended, but you cant have free speech and also monitor every single thing someone gets outraged over and the more you do the less free it is. Besides hate speech and racism when you start policing every misguided quote whate the point in having that right then?

Still not getting it, are you? Nobody was offended by his remarks. The problem came from the fact that this type of comment leads to a toxic, unpleasant work environment.

NBC has the right to enforce it's empmoyee policy and make it's workplace pleasant of its employees. It helps them attract and retain talent. Why do you want to restrict the rights of a comapny to do this? This is a free country, not a totalitarian state.

Mido

Dec 10, 2018
On one hand I feel sympathetic to Roenick, on the other hand I think if I announced to my employer and the general public that I wanted to bang our office accountant I'd be fired too.

Reactions: Vikke

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He provided absolutely no meaningful insight whatsoever and just dished out hockey guy cliches. If I made comments like that about a coworker where I work I would be canned too. That's how it works when you work for a company. See ya.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I would feel bad, but he didn't even apologize or say that he was in the wrong in his little video. You can't make comments like that, friends or not, and expect to keep you're job, especially working for a company like NBC.

Reactions: AzHawk

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was under the impression that all that he said was that he wouldn't kick Tappen out of bed, but, according to the following Yahoo article, there was more to it than I realized.
Yahoo said:
Roenick made comments on the Dec. 19 episode of the popular hockey podcast in which he described a vacation he took to Portugal with his wife and Tappen, where on multiple occasions people asked if the three of them were together and described joking with them about engaging in group sex.

“I play it off like we’re all going to bed together every night, the three of us. If it really came to fruition, that would really be good, but it’s never going to happen.” Roenick said.

Jeremy Roenick dismissed by NBC for inappropriate comments: 'Very disappointed and angry'

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
he didn't seem like he was all there when he made his comments. This isn't the joe rogan experience, they might have had a problem with him being tipsy as much as the content of what he said.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm confused how anyone can blame Spittin Chiclets?

Would it be better if they edited the part out and swept it under the rug, only for it to come out later and for them to be painted as misogynist pigs? Their whole podcast/brand is based on players/former players being able to say what they want, unfiltered... if the guests say something out of line thats on them. They are fully aware they are being recorded and the conversations will be posted on social media.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Before you applaud NBC for their wokeness, Just remember NBC kept and systematically protected high profile sexual predators and alleged serial rapists Harvey Weinstein and Matt Lauer for decades.
Haven't checked the whole thread, but in the first couple of pages, I don't think anyone is applauding NBC. Judging by JR's "What a joke" comment, he just seems like someone who doesn't get it, so this is NBC doing the bare minimum.

Reactions: Voight

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
If he had any self-awareness and owned up to it he might have kept his job, but I think it's his brutish arrogance that ultimately brought the hammer down

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
And it wouldn't have been a big deal except for the outrage among people who likely didn't even hear the podcast in the first place. People just overreact about almost anything these days. If any of you people who heard this second hand were deeply offended by his comments, then you need to evaluate your own priorities. Get a life.

For me the most laughable thing is that NBC is acting like they have morals in the first place. NBC isn't an ethical corporation, and never has been. They are just bowing to the pressure from the oversensitive public and social media. Remember this is the network that Matt Lauer worked for. NBC suppressed reporting of the Weinstein scandal before it broke. They were accused by Gabrielle Union of allowing racially insensitive behavior on the set of America's Got Talent. But JR is such a big problem that they have to let him go over one insensitive comment? Give me a break. NBC let JR go to save face and repair their own tarnished reputation, and I'm not buying it for a second. NBC ain't the good guy, I'll tell you that much.
Is this a parody post? Well done man, haven't seen satire like this since Jonathan Swift.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I would've rather seen a path to redemption but it was a mistake & a tough one to move past. There's some speculation higher ups already weren't happy with JR before this incident.

I like that JR has a personality, I see alot of ppl here don't like him (I don't get NBC enough to know) but from what I've seen I think he's alright. I don't condone what he said or find it acceptable. Pretty disappointing he said it. Its too bad, as I said I'd rather an opportunity to learn + improve, but the decision is totally understandable. Hopefully JR will learn & can get back on his feet in time.

Someone said Barstool exists on its 'own spectrum', which it does to a degree. Alot of it is younger people, and its not all men. Call Her Daddy is very popular amongst younger woman. I don't know what that means about younger people, but its not like its a gender exclusive thing where they are only attracting men to their network.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad