Jeremy Roenick done on NBC

Bartcal

Sponsor
Apr 15, 2007
So Cal
Yes I do. The ENTIRE reason Roenick is such a popular media personality is the same reason Charles Barkley is so popular: saying outrageous and controversial things. That is their entire gimmick and MO. So when they cross the line (which everyone knew would happen) I find it hilarious that the people who hired them are shocked that this happened.
He wouldn't have lost his job if he hadn't referenced his co-worker. If he'd just joked about a generic threesome rather than one involving his co-worker, he would have been fine. It's not just about outrageous and controversial things, its about context. And I can understand KT not condoning his actions, friends or not. Who wants to sit on a set or work with someone, knowing everyone out there has heard the comments he made; that's just going to feel awkward. I would imagine the on-air chemistry would not be the same even if he did return.

I'm not a JR fan and won't miss his so-called analysis. If he gets another job, fine. I don't think he deserves to be black-balled or anything, but damn, just keep your comments to hockey, dude.

Reactions: AzHawk

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
He was a shock hire to begin with and really I can't believe he lasted so long. It was a very excited hire. He was like Brett Hull lite. But the last few years he's reigned it in and has been drab and boring and down on him. The internet is a better place for him. Let's hope he can get together with Grapes.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
"What a joke" he says lmfao

Don't say you wanna have a threesome with your female coworker publicly ya weirdo
133193.jpg

Reactions: MapleLeafs9

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Why would I apologize because other people were offended by a remark that I made to a "good friend" as she put it? That is exactly the point in was making, so what if a few people were offended that's life. If the "victim" had an actual issue with it I'd agree that he should have to apologize...to her. People have the right to feel offended but when you take it to such.an extreme that he got fired over that, that's when it's fake outrage. Should no one have to turn on something and be guaranteed they wont be offended? If a small minority of people found fighting to be offensive and setting a bad example to children should they pander to them? After all if they are offended then we should remove it immediately

I then ask you....in this situation besides the actual women he joked about what in the world would anyone else be offended about? I cant think of a single reason because if the women didnt even get that upset what justice are they fighting for? It wasnt sexual harassment to a stranger again it was a joke that probably he shouldn't have said but it didnt even bother the women that should be

It must be a very black and white world you live in, but most of us live in a society that is full of complexity and nuance. Something you say in private that is then put out into the world through some nefarious method is one thing, but if you willfully make a remark to a good friend in front of others who are offended in some way by that remark, you don't get to set the rules. You don't get to demand a reason for their offense. You may think you do, and you may think that since you and your friend don't find it offensive, no one should. That's the brand of arrogance that made that kind of inappropriate talk commonplace and something people (mainly women) had to just accept as normal until really not that long ago. I guarantee you that there are things which offend you that you could try to justify to another person and fail miserably because that's how these things work.

Jeremy Roenick was a waste of time and space on NBC broadcasts anyway. He then went out and make inappropriate comments publicly. He doesn't get to put something into the public space and then act like it's a private matter between he and a friend, and you don't get to make that comparison in his defense because it's a false comparison.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Roenick forgot that we ain't the 90s anymore. Things go viral in an instant. The politically correct community are there waiting to point fingers and be outraged.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Jeremy Roenick seems like a good guy and was a good player. He made a witty joke, whatever. Probably a bit too careless of a joke but that's just how things are now.

Mike Milbury is the one who always seems miserable on the panel and has a bad reputation anyway, along with the fact that Pierre Mcguire (who is only good for cringe) still exists in hockey.

The American crew needs a whole revamping

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Roenick forgot that we ain't the 90s anymore. Things go viral in an instant. The politically correct community are there waiting to point fingers and be outraged.
That's crap.

This isn't a case of surveillance run amok. This wasn't a case of a private comment that was leaked, blabbed, recorded or gossiped about. This was something he said ON A PODCAST, for consumption by the masses. Something he said knowing the time and place and what was going to happen when he said it. As someone who made a living being on television, you have to know better.

If this truly was something said behind the scenes as a joke to maybe one or two people, I'd have a little more sympathy. If Roenick and Tappen had that kind of rapport where they could say things like that to each other as buddies, fine. But that's still inappropriate to say in public. Especially when working for a network that's dealing with backlash from similar incidents that they didn't handle correctly.

And no, this isn't a case of someone being trampled by the politically correct police. There's still such a thing as right and wrong.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Jeremy Roenick seems like a good guy and was a good player. He made a witty joke, whatever. Probably a bit too careless of a joke but that's just how things are now.

Mike Milbury is the one who always seems miserable on the panel and has a bad reputation anyway, along with the fact that Pierre Mcguire (who is only good for cringe) still exists in hockey.

I believe Roenick is a genuinely nice guy and all, but he's a bit of a goof and he did go far. Especially live.
Milbury still works on NBC... I didn't know and I hadn't seen him in a long time... Not that I missed him! lol
They still got Randy Jones too ?? :ha:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

It really is godawful. Keith Jones and Brian Boucher are just the most nondescript dolts, straight outta the Retired Flyer->NBC Sports Philly->NBC Sports program (as was JR, actually). Patrick Sharp is the handsome version of those two. Milbury is utter garbage, a very, very low rent Burke or Cherry without the flair. The backup play-by-play guys from the regional networks are mediocre, and the former women's player (I forget who it is) that they occasionally throw in the between-the-glass spot, she's just not ready yet. Tappen is capable and professional, but she's working with crap.

Kevin Weekes is OK. Doc is OK, but idiosyncratic and old as hell. Pierre is actually a very adept hockey analyst, but also just a weird personality. He might be more tolerable if he was part of a more likable team, where there were some folks there to respond to his good insights and raz him a little for his weirdness.

Honestly, the NHL Network folks are starting to come along and I could see a few of them sliding into NBC spots in the next couple years. Scott Hartnell is a pretty solid contributor. Scott Stevens is pretty stoic, smart, and direct, plus the fact that a ton of people hate him would make things interesting. Stu Grimson is surprisingly good, despite not being very fun to look at. I think Jackie Redmond might get a boost someday, she's able to actually get a bit of life and humor out of some of these old stiffs they saddle to her.

Eventually, the national NBC broadcast is going to beam Taryn Hatcher up from NBC Sports Philly to the mothership--you'll see that happen in the next few years, whether she's hosting in the studio or working the sidelines. She's been a revelation, incredibly talented and professional broadcaster who can make the most out of even the most boring player interview or ad read. The Flyers themselves all seem to have crushes on her (Carter Hart's interviews are just one long blush and giggle), but she's an absolute ace who can really do the job--she won't be just in Philly for long.

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I believe Roenick is a genuinely nice guy and all, but he's a bit of a goof and he did go far. Especially live.
Milbury still works on NBC... I didn't know and I hadn't seen him in a long time... Not that I missed him! lol
They still got Randy Jones too ?? :ha:

Live? No it wasn't live. But even worse, for circumstances just like these, Barstool allows guests to review their interview and edit out any questionable content. JR stupidly left it all in.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Live? No it wasn't live. But even worse, for circumstances just like these, Barstool allows guests to review their interview and edit out any questionable content. JR stupidly left it all in.
I guess he had poor judgement, twice then. lol

There's only one group outraged here, and they're supporting Roenick.
You should go back to your occcupation.

Last edited:

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
A few things.
If you agree that he should've been fired for these comments then I get that, if you don't think he should've been fired then I understand that also. I can see both sides.

- however, any poster whom has said something akin to 'I didn't like him anyways, so it's fine.' is on the wrong side of the fence. That's the same type of argument that says that the behaviour is fine if you like him.

NBC. Seriously. They spend decades sweeping rampant sexism and assaults under the rug by despicable men whom actually did things - only to 'clean' their image by firing someone for a distasteful remark. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been fired however the hypocrisy is staggering. Try not to draw a parallel between Matt Lauer, etc. and Roenick, as that's worlds apart, and please remember that no matter the p.r. spin, NBC has been brutal - and would any us be surprised to find out they still are. They waited to see if there was a backlash or ratings drop before making their decisions. This is not a company that should get any kudos for their 'morality'.

Don't The Chicclets edit interviews? I thought they did and that they weren't live - to protect against this exact kind of situation. I always just figured there was a tonne of this kind of crap edited out as they purposefully try to get guys to make off jokes or tell secrets or whatever.

Lastly, we have to be careful what we wish for. Complaints all the time that hockey interviews are bland cliches - but if these guys weren't so cautiously reserved we'd see/hear a lot more of this.

Reactions: AzHawk and Fixxer

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Lastly, we have to be careful what we wish for. Complaints all the time that hockey interviews are bland cliches - but if these guys weren't so cautiously reserved we'd see/hear a lot more of this.

Frankly, if an interviewee can't place a comment that falls somewhere in the gulf-sized gap that exists between "Bland Cliché" and "I'd have a threesome with this Women", we're probably better off without interviews. And the interviewee in question should probably follow some training in their spare time.

Last edited:
Reactions: b in vancouver

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Frankly, if the interviewees can't place a comment that falls somewhere in the gulf-sized gap that exists between "Bland Cliché" and "I'd have a threesome with this Women", we're probably better off without interviews. And the interviewees should probably follow some training in their spare time.

INTERVIEWER: You guys got off to a great start to this game, a couple of first period goals. What's working in the first period?

LUSTY AND UNPREDICTABLE NHL PLAYER: Obviously you know, getting pucks deep and focusing on getting to our game. Also obviously I really want to f*** my wife's sister, obviously I've been thinking about that on the bench and I think it's obviously helping me play the right way.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
INTERVIEWER: You guys got off to a great start to this game, a couple of first period goals. What's working in the first period?

LUSTY AND UNPREDICTABLE NHL PLAYER: Obviously you know, getting pucks deep and focusing on getting to our game. Also obviously I really want to **** my wife's sister, obviously I've been thinking about that on the bench and I think it's obviously helping me play the right way.

Great use of "on the bench" here, so I'm not putting a very specific face on the LUSTY AND UNPREDICTABLE NHL PLAYER.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I think the comments obviously crossed a line of professionalism. But some people think that these comments if said by a woman might be received differently. I generally agree with the response that the quotes are uncommon coming from women. So I don't think that's ironic.

But I do find it ironic that there's like this widespread indifference about the comments made about Patrick Sharp and Anson Carter. I didn't feel those comments were professional either. But I suppose people don't have a paternalistic/maternalistic reaction to guys like Sharp or Carter in the same way they would do another victim.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Regardless of whether you like him as an analyst or not, the reason for his firing is pretty bs. I would have understood a suspension. Firing seems excessive imo.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
But I do find it ironic that there's like this widespread indifference about the comments made about Patrick Sharp and Anson Carter. I didn't feel those comments were professional either. But I suppose people don't have a paternalistic/maternalistic reaction to guys like Sharp or Carter in the same way they would do another victim.

Do you have any proof of this? I'm pretty sure everyone thought both comments about Sharp and Tappen were equally inappropriate. Including NBC who make it clear that comments about both were the problem.

It's only those who are trying to invoke a fake outrage over his firing that keep referring to Tappen alone.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
Most of the outsider takes on Roenick's comments, myself included, don't matter much. Tappen's and sure, Sharp's and Carter's take, matters. We don't need to know their take. Just the suits at NBC do. If their take influenced the final decision on Roenick, it was probably the right decision.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Do you have any proof of this? I'm pretty sure everyone thought both comments about Sharp and Tappen were equally inappropriate. Including NBC who make it clear that comments about both were the problem.

It's only those who are trying to invoke a fake outrage over his firing that keep referring to Tappen alone.
All I looked at were the trending Tweets on Twitter. You wouldn't have been able to guess that he made other comments from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->