Jeremy Roenick done on NBC

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Roenick joked to another ex NHL player about wanting a threesome with a coworker. Those jokes happen at every job between guys.

Except it wasn't between guys, it was broadcasted to the world on a very popular podcast.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Not surprised, it’s 2020 JR. He’ll start a podcast or something so he can stay in the spotlight.

Once people forget about it in 6 months or so, he’ll join NHL Network. Then in 5-7 years NBC will take him back.

I mean, this was bounds for getting fired in 1990 too... I remember the cheezy workplace sexual harassment videos I had to watch for my first job in the 90's. It's not a 2020 thing.

Reactions: The National

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
its not a buzz word. its the current state of society and if you think its "how its always been" you are like 14.

if your so sick of it just dig through my post history and get me banned.

It's how it's always been since the mass arrival of women regarding that kind of stuff.

Reactions: 4Orr

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
lol @ people on here thinking they need to prove they are a better person then roenick

im sure roenicks done far worse then this
Dude you need more T bro. Brews, Bruhs and T is all you need brah.

testosterone.gif

Reactions: Zeus Bojangles

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It's always amusing to me when someone acts indignant over being held to standard for their own conduct.

The world is changing. What's acceptable behavior now isn't the same as what it was 20, or even 10 years ago. If someone's too stupid to realize that, and they behave in an unacceptable manner, they pay the price. Sorry about your luck.

It hasn't changed. This was always unacceptable 10, 20, maybe even 30 years ago.

People need to stop it with that narrative.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
I mean, this was bounds for getting fired in 1990 too... I remember the cheezy workplace sexual harassment videos I had to watch for my first job in the 90's. It's not a 2020 thing.

The only difference today is that the internet and social media make it so any incidents spread much quicker and get more attention faster. I do agree in the 90s this would have gotten you fired too but less people would know about it.

Reactions: Viqsi

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The only difference today is that the internet and social media make it so any incidents spread much quicker and get more attention faster. I do agree in the 90s this would have gotten you fired too but less people would know about it.

You mean, less people would know why Roenick was fired?
(I agree)

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Except this incident had no reaction UNTILL he was suspended. Then people lined up to be outraged on JR's behalf.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
You mean, less people would know why Roenick was fired?
(I agree)

We would have found out. Maybe not as fast as we do today, but if you two are implying we didn’t read the newspapers, watch the news @6 and 11 and reporters didn’t do their jobs in the 1990s, you both would be wrong. In fact, I might be inclined to think we paid attention more to the news back then, but that’s speculation.

A sportscaster’s mysterious disappearance from his weekly show would have created some news and reporters would have investigated it.

Reactions: MXD

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Except this incident had no reaction UNTILL he was suspended. Then people lined up to be outraged on JR's behalf.
This is so true. I watch hockey and follow the news regularly. I heard about this incident the first time on this very forum, from a thread posted by someone saying how terrible it was JR is getting suspended for comments he made on a podcast. I still don't think I've come across it anywhere else.
The outrage is from his defenders because everyone else in the world either doesn't care or reads what happened and says "Yup, sounds like he's getting fired for being an idiot."

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Except it wasn't between guys, it was broadcasted to the world on a very popular podcast.
Exactly. There’s tons of “water cooler” talk that goes on in the workplace but this was on a podcast who has hundreds of thousands, if not millions of listeners per episode.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Roenick is unbelievably stupid. Using his platform to tell the world about his sexual fantasies, that's some disgusting shit. Seriously Jeremy, how much of an egomaniac do you have to be to not understand that this is inappropriate, offensive and literally nobody wants to hear it. Makes me wonder how his wife feels. Makes me wonder about some people here as well who actually believe it would be OK for him to continue in his job. What if it was your daughter he said those things about or better yet, was married to? If it was my daughter he was married to I'd punch him in the mouth and that's just for starters. I don't know how she can stand being married to such a disgusting pig.

Reactions: MXD and 4Orr

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Oh no, I’d fire you, after an investigation of course. Zero tolerance for this stuff in the workplace.

In JR’s case he was suspended for some time while they investigated. He’s also admitted to be disciplined before which is why this was likely the last straw.

I’ve sadly experienced this kind of behavior more than once and let me tell you, it impacted me in ways I care not to discuss here.
I can understand why NBC thought his comments weren’t appropriate and if they thought they needed to fire him then I can see it.

I don’t see this being a big victim story like you are trying to make it out to be however. I doubt Tappen, Sharp, Carter were hardly affected by the comments.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I guess D. Hatcher's elbow to Roenick's head broke his mind AND his jaw. Never have liked the guy and i will not shed a sports tear for him.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
What's second though? First of all, you would only ever make a comment about wanting to have sex with a coworker if you knew that coworker would take it as a joke. Second, you would what? Deny it was a big deal if others heard it and were offended? Tell them that there is no reason they should feel offended? Tell them that what you really meant was something else? Tell them that you're not a bad person and mistakes are made so no harm, no foul? What's next? Is that the part where you try to dictate to everyone how they should feel based on your own clouded judgment of the situation? I'm curious.
Why would I apologize because other people were offended by a remark that I made to a "good friend" as she put it? That is exactly the point in was making, so what if a few people were offended that's life. If the "victim" had an actual issue with it I'd agree that he should have to apologize...to her. People have the right to feel offended but when you take it to such.an extreme that he got fired over that, that's when it's fake outrage. Should no one have to turn on something and be guaranteed they wont be offended? If a small minority of people found fighting to be offensive and setting a bad example to children should they pander to them? After all if they are offended then we should remove it immediately

I then ask you....in this situation besides the actual women he joked about what in the world would anyone else be offended about? I cant think of a single reason because if the women didnt even get that upset what justice are they fighting for? It wasnt sexual harassment to a stranger again it was a joke that probably he shouldn't have said but it didnt even bother the women that should be

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Why would I apologize because other people were offended? That is exactly the point in was making, so what if a few people were offended that's life. If the "victim" had an actual issue with it I'd agree that he should have to apologize...to her. People have the right to feel offended but when you take it to such.an extreme that he got fired over that, that's when it's fake outrage. Should no one have to turn on something and be guaranteed they wont be offended? If a small minority of people found fighting to be offensive and setting a bad example to children should they pander to them? After all if they are offended then we should remove it immediately

There is only one group being offended here, and they aren't offended at Roenick.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
Roenick is unbelievably stupid. Using his platform to tell the world about his sexual fantasies, that's some disgusting ****. Seriously Jeremy, how much of an egomaniac do you have to be to not understand that this is inappropriate, offensive and literally nobody wants to hear it. Makes me wonder how his wife feels. Makes me wonder about some people here as well who actually believe it would be OK for him to continue in his job. What if it was your daughter he said those things about or better yet, was married to? If it was my daughter he was married to I'd punch him in the mouth and that's just for starters. I don't know how she can stand being married to such a disgusting pig.
Last thing....I swear on my life if it was my grown adult daughter and she said she had no issue about I really wouldn't care no, why would I it's not my business. In fact I'd fine it creepier that as a father youd punch hm in the face when unless she had said it really bothered her you would be involved in her sexual life whatsoever. He didnt rape her ffs she can just stop being friends and going on vacations with them.She's a grown women she can handle a tasteless joke from a friend

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
Purely from the perspective of hockey analysis and commentary, I'm totally fine with this.

Kamaya Painters

Nov 8, 2018
Roenick tried to be himself in his interview with Spitting Chiclets and that's something that should be encouraged. I think people appreciate a real person (no matter if you like him/her or not) than some phony and professional facade (like Ron McLean for an example). He also made a mistake by mentioning what he thought about in that particular situation with his wife and Tappen while already inside a masculine jargone (not sure how else I should put this).

People might think it's stupid but everyone's been there, no matter age or maturity.

He's probably fully aware of the mistake but clearly doesn't accept the punishment, especially after posting a public apology across social media. He probably thought he'd get off the hook if he did that but it didn't pan out that way because some people higher up the hierarchy thought otherwise.

NBC is hardly an example to anyone and media is full of phony people who only adapt themselves within the politically correct and social norms inside that very same company/industry. But..nobody's irreplaceable which is why people act like that. Typical human behavior. Herd mentality.

Reactions: Fixxer and Bigb47

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Last thing....I swear on my life if it was my grown adult daughter and she said she had no issue about I really wouldn't care no, why would I it's not my business. In fact I'd fine it creepier that as a father youd punch hm in the face when unless she had said it really bothered her you would be involved in her sexual life whatsoever. He didnt rape her ffs she can just stop being friends and going on vacations with them.She's a grown women she can handle a tasteless joke from a friend

If you think what she says about this with a microphone stuck in her face is the same thing she would say to her close friends in private, you're being very naive. She's working in a male dominated business, of course she wants to project the image of being able to "take a joke" so to speak. What do you think happens to her if the acts like a victim here?

Reactions: powerbomb

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
If you think what she says about this with a microphone stuck in her face is the same thing she would say to her close friends in private, you're being very naive. She's working in a male dominated business, of course she wants to project the image of being able to "take a joke" so to speak. What do you think happens to her if the acts like a victim here?
Everyone would rally around her? I mean really, look at the behemoths that have been taken down my women just recently and rightfully so they deserved it but show me an example of a women speaking out in a situation like this in sports and what were the consequences for her?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->