Jeremy Roenick done on NBC

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I would feel bad, but he didn't even apologize or say that he was in the wrong in his little video. You can't make comments like that, friends or not, and expect to keep you're job, especially working for a company like NBC.

he did apologize in another video, though

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
He wouldn't have lost his job if he hadn't referenced his co-worker. If he'd just joked about a generic threesome rather than one involving his co-worker, he would have been fine. It's not just about outrageous and controversial things, its about context. And I can understand KT not condoning his actions, friends or not. Who wants to sit on a set or work with someone, knowing everyone out there has heard the comments he made; that's just going to feel awkward. I would imagine the on-air chemistry would not be the same even if he did return...
You just stated exactly what I was going to say.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Why not? His wife clearly doesn't care and he's clearly joking, they're all best friends. Neither are upset about his comments so cares that random people that don't know them are triggered.

Roenick's firing has been a much bigger source of triggering than his comments, and a quick perusal of this thread is confirming this.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Its brilliant to me that you actually believe you can make a bunch of monkeys who kill each other every day, go to war constantly, people get ripped off and greed is a serious problem that a little nuance like a sexual innuendo needs to be stopped. I rarely if ever get offended and even if I did, I'd simply remove myself from the situation and not make a selfish commotion about something that really didn't hurt anyone. You have every right to be offended, but you cant have free speech and also monitor every single thing someone gets outraged over and the more you do the less free it is. Besides hate speech and racism when you start policing every misguided quote whate the point in having that right then?
You seem awfully offended that JR got fired. You also seem offended that actions have consequences. The vast majority of posters are not offended by JRs comments. Hell, I just thought they were cringey and reeked of a guy trying too hard, but I have also worked in a professional environment and realized he was likely to be punished in some fashion, knowing that that may even include being fired.

JR is responsible for his own thoughts, actions, and statements.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
JR is what like 50+ years old ? He isnt some dumb kid who doesn't know any better.

I get guys don't want to lose their jobs because they say something dumb. Pretty easy solution to that. Keep your mouth shut on topics of sex and politics at the office and dont do interviews where you discuss your private sex wants especially if they involve people you work with

if JR said he wanted to bang Pierre and was serious, I suspect the whats the big deal folks would be singing a different tune.
Good post.
I would add that if JR or anyone wants to be taken seriously as a mature professional he should stay clear of talk shows hosted by and followed by idiots who have not matured beyond the high school jock, locker room mentality.

"Hey I'm a serious sports reporter, listen to me degrade and objectify my female "friends" and co-workers so the adolescent listeners and the hosts stuck in a state of arrested adolescence can giggle and get some yucks at her expense."

JR was always a moron who thinks he has more personality and charisma than he actually does. His interviews with non fratboy, jock types were always a painful thing to watch. His bullshit apologies are only slightly less painful. Come on JR, you've been running your mouth long enough that we know who you are: a sad, silly 50 year old man-child who will always be snapping towels in the locker room with your bros.

Last edited:

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Yes I do. The ENTIRE reason Roenick is such a popular media personality is the same reason Charles Barkley is so popular: saying outrageous and controversial things. That is their entire gimmick and MO. So when they cross the line (which everyone knew would happen) I find it hilarious that the people who hired them are shocked that this happened.

Roenick isn’t close to the entertaining personality Barkley is. If he was, NBC would’ve just suspended him the rest of the season. Roenick wasn’t good at his role, said something very stupid involving his colleague, and NBC got rid of him because he wasn’t valuable enough to retain following the incident.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Good post.
I would add that if JR or anyone wants to be taken seriously as a mature professional he should stay clear of talk shows hosted by and followed by idiots who have not matured beyond the high school jock, locker room mentality.

"Hey I'm a serious sports reporter, listen to me degrade and objectify my female "friends" and co-workers so the adolescent listeners and the hosts stuck in a state of arrested adolescents can giggle and get some yucks at her expense."

JR was always a moron who thinks he has more personality and charisma than he actually does. His interviews with non fratboy, jock types were always a painful thing to watch. His bull**** apologies are only slightly less painful. Come on JR, you've been running your mouth long enough that we know who you are: a sad, silly 50 year old man-child who will always be snapping towels in the locker room with your bros.

That's the ironic thing. If you actually listened to the audio, the Barstool guys were trying to get JR to realize what he was saying was not kosher. They gave him ample opportunity to walk things back, but JR continued to plow forward. Also, it appears Spittin' Chicklets allows guests to review their interview and edit out any questionable content, and JR chose to leave it in.

Note: I'm not a Barstool fan, and prior to this have never listened to any of their podcasts. I'm just relaying facts.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Roenick isn’t close to the entertaining personality Barkley is. If he was, NBC would’ve just suspended him the rest of the season. Roenick wasn’t good at his role, said something very stupid involving his colleague, and NBC got rid of him because he wasn’t valuable enough to retain following the incident.
Roenick doesn't say anything entertaining or outlandish stuff at all, he's just a pompous ass that got famous because he was an good player who liked to talk shit 20 years ago.

I guess compared to the average bland hockey player who only knows how to say "oh you know, for sure, gets some pucks in deep, traffic in front" then yeah, I guess Roenick has some personality. But still.

Reactions: DaBadGuy7

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
That's the ironic thing. If you actually listened to the audio, the Barstool guys were trying to get JR to realize what he was saying was not kosher. They gave him ample opportunity to walk things back, but JR continued to plow forward. Also, it appears Spittin' Chicklets allows guests to review their interview and edit out any questionable content, and JR chose to leave it in.

Note: I'm not a Barstool fan, and prior to this have never listened to any of their podcasts. I'm just relaying facts.
I didn't listen, just saw his comments posted on here. I guess it's good that they tried to dial him back, but he was playing to his audience and to his hosts with those remarks I am sure. JR is just too full of arrogance (and himself) to realize he might face consequences for said remarks - the hosts at least had the common sense to the potential problems the remarks could lead to.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I would have liked to see a different path here. What he said was inappropriate, but getting rid of him wasn’t the only form of remediation. He brought a good energy and viewpoint to the broadcasts that otherwise can get kind of antiseptic and bland.

How could nbc do it without it being ackward when JR and Kathryn Tappen are working the same broadcast events, especially what he said? There's no way they could work together on anything. He's got a bigger problem with their friendship moving forward than getting fired from NBC.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
The moment those words came out of his mouth, JR created a toxic work environment. There’s no way, especially in a male dominated industry, Tappen wouldn’t feel humiliated and uncomfortable being on TV next to JR. Knowing what every viewer is thinking. For anyone arguing about cancel culture, say something like this at work, have HR find out, and see what happens.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Maybe talking about a woman like she's a piece of meat can be considered sexist, I don't know?

He talked the same way about Patrick Sharp, who is not even his friend and almost no one was offended here. Why are you not offended about his comments on Sharp and you are for Tappen ? It's all about Tappen in this thread.

Isn't that the definition of sexism ?

Imo, neither was sexist, it was a bad joke about a real-life story.

Last edited:

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I watch the movie Ted for a second time back in the summer and my oh my they could never release that movie in today's current environment.
Oh yeah, totally bro, so much has changed in 7 seven years, it’s crazy Brah. Except for all the movies that are on par or similar to Ted, ....including Ted 2 or Ted 3 that’s in talks. Nope, funny movies are cancelled.

Was watching Grimsby Brothers (2016) nothing like that will ever be released again...bruh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad