Management Jeremy Jacobs expects Bruins to run 'deep in the playoffs'

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It isn't like he only had two options on what he can say.

It wasn't "deep playoff run" or "we're going to suck."

There are a million more innocuous options in-between, ones that don't--at the very least appear to--carry a message to management.

"I like the team we have, I like our mix of young and old, and I'm excited for the season. I think we'll be successful."

You can be positive without setting such specific, high goals, for a team that is already under pressure to improve on the last two seasons.

Am I crazy or did Jeremy say something after last year about how, with the money they spend, not making the playoffs was unacceptable? I'm almost positive he did.

Combined with that, this feels like a clear message to me. Hopefully Sweeney and Neely don't take a short term band aid view at the expense of the long term goal. Considering their biggest, most vocal supporters keep saying to wait a couple years when the young D are ready, I'd imagine they'd hate that too.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don't get what you are saying. So you are an advocate of the should have traded Loui camp?

I thought I remembered you arguing until your finger tips were black and blue from typing that the Bruins should not trade Loui, until it became obvious that they tried to.

Maybe it's my old age playing tricks on my memory

So I googled HF Boards BB88 Bruins should keep Loui.

Surprising what I found. You were an advocate of keeping Loui whether the Bruins were in a playoff spot or not.

Lot of posts like this one http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=108849975&postcount=44

Unbelievable:amazed::laugh:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think when the owner addresses the media with his underlings at his side shaking their heads up and down like bobble heads it's really a threat to them. Make chicken soup out of chicken **** or your gone. I love crow pie but I just don't see this roster going that far this season.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
There are a million more innocuous options in-between, ones that don't--at the very least appear to--carry a message to management.

"I like the team we have, I like our mix of young and old, and I'm excited for the season. I think we'll be successful."

You can be positive without setting such specific, high goals, for a team that is already under pressure to improve on the last two seasons.

Am I crazy or did Jeremy say something after last year about how, with the money they spend, not making the playoffs was unacceptable? I'm almost positive he did.

1. absolutely true. You can promote your franchise without setting unrealistic goals.

2. He did. That's why I doubt people within the organisation take him seriously anymore. Afterall he's the son of the owner who threatens people and thinks he has the power when in reality he has to get permission from daddy.
I wish he would leave the franchise alone, his father is already enough.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
1. absolutely true. You can promote your franchise without setting unrealistic goals.

2. He did. That's why I doubt people within the organisation take him seriously anymore. Afterall he's the son of the owner who threatens people and thinks he has the power when in reality he has to get permission from daddy.
I wish he would leave the franchise alone, his father is already enough.

Maybe he will cut a hole in the wall like Harold Ballard did when he hovered over the Leaf team like a buzzard. The fans were wearing paper bags on their heads and he said " By the look of their faces they should wear bags". If the fans keep paying the big bucks for mediocre hockey and the owner is stuffing cash in all his pockets no one cares.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Jeremy Jacobs is delusional. I honestly believe that his #1 priority is making $$$ and therefore with a full stadium for games and a waiting list for season tickets then all is good no matter how the team figures in the standings.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't get what you are saying. So you are an advocate of the should have traded Loui camp?

I thought I remembered you arguing until your finger tips were black and blue from typing that the Bruins should not trade Loui, until it became obvious that they tried to.

Maybe it's my old age playing tricks on my memory

So I googled HF Boards BB88 Bruins should keep Loui.

Surprising what I found. You were an advocate of keeping Loui whether the Bruins were in a playoff spot or not.

Lot of posts like this one http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=108849975&postcount=44

I'm a Lou fan and wanted to re-sign him at the start of season, but when it was clear it wasn't going to happen I wanted to trade him. You don't lose players like Lou for nothing.
The team had more major flaws than I thought at the start of season, the team wasn't developing during the season, I realized they need more work, more cap& assets for fixing that blueline and more time to fix this mess.

I have zero faith that this rebuild on fly with Jacobs pressuring them will end up successfull during Bergerons time in Boston.

Last edited:

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
I agree with Mike, the owner just took a shot at the hockey ops/management team. Better hope they don't get off to a slow start, because I think panic will set in. Panic is never good for a FO

Although it may get CJ fired sooner than later, but I still don't want to see Sweeney go into panic mode.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If we miss the playoffs again, Sweeney, Claude, or both will be fired. And I mean it this time...

Mike Keenan could be the replacement - he's been out awhile but he will stir it up. Favorite of Harry

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If Jacobs fired Sweeney I hope he brings in a lunatic. Considering Seeeney would have been fired after 2 years the next guy would know this ain't about being patient and thinking long term - Jacobs would be closing in on 80 soon and wants a Cup before he's drooling in it.

I'd love to see Harry go back and bring in Keenen who could do to the Bruins what the Clint Eastwood character did to that town in High Plains Drifter

Oh I forgot in the fantasy world of HF Jacobs hires the perfect GM who does everything that each of us individually want and Stanley Cups multiply as is a Harry Potter like charm was placed in it

Sweeney goes the next guy understands long term ain't an option :laugh:

The Habs and Blue Jays like to recycle coaches - Mike O'Connell anyone

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
So the Pittsburgh Penguins won the Stanley Cup last year after finishing 17th overall in goals against. When you look back over the last seven or eight years, that is a complete anomaly, as nearly every team, except for the 2013 Blackhawks, was either #1 or #2 in D (Chicago was 6). Chicago was 3rd best that year in goals forward.

So basically...we're going to have a complete turnaround from last year (with extremely minimal changes to the defense) and we're going to be AT LEAST middle of the pack on D, and we're going to have one of the best offenses in the league.

Or...we are going to be a premier team defensively.

Both of those are next to impossible.

What Charlie is doing is business politics. Spew some generic crap that will convince people who don't know anything, and are on the fence, to come watch a few games and be "on your side". It's incredibly frustrating how little this team admits or addresses any of the big issues with the fan base. You put a guy like Sweeney as the GM, who is a decent speaker, and it allows them to hide behind all of the issues.

And the other thing is, if any of what we see on Behind the B is 'real', there are old farts at the top of this team who still refer to themselves and this team as "champions". They think it was them who won the Cup in 2011 and they somehow still think their visceral genius is enough to power this team today. It's ****ing stupid.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe he will cut a hole in the wall like Harold Ballard did when he hovered over the Leaf team like a buzzard. The fans were wearing paper bags on their heads and he said " By the look of their faces they should wear bags". If the fans keep paying the big bucks for mediocre hockey and the owner is stuffing cash in all his pockets no one cares.

Boston is notorious front runners they won't stick around if the Bruins continue to get 75 points and out of it by Christmas like last 2 years they will leave

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You guys can keep worrying about deciphering hidden messages when the 80 year old owner says the team is going to do well this year.

I'm going to concern myself with something a little more tangible like the lines with Bergeron not making the trip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad