Management Jeremy Jacobs expects Bruins to run 'deep in the playoffs'

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
wanna hear something from ownership or the Pres? STOP plunking down your hard earned cash for mediocre product on the ice. Worked years ago, forced Jacobs to address a clear issue as there was literally thousands of empty seats dressed up like fans, only time an owner will seriously look at making change is when you hit em where it hurts and that`s the pocket IMO

The guy's clearly no dummy you'd think he would have gotten the message the last time. Apparently not though because it is happening all over again.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm doing my part, but not many are it seems. Outside of a few exceptions, secondary market tix this season are ridiculous and inventory overall has been very low.

it`s not easy to do when you love a team and love going to games but if Jacobs looks down from his perch and see`s 17,565 seats filled....

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The guy's clearly no dummy you'd think he would have gotten the message the last time. Apparently not though because it is happening all over again.

yep, he`s ridden the coattails of the cup win a few years ago, gotten too comfy but again, want to speak and have him hear it? Don`t buy tix for this product because right now he see`s a full barn and his pockets too are full

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Should've just blown it up in 2014-15, bottomed out for a couple of years, and rebuilt. Instead of this half-assed "retool" that they're doing now that isn't working. Reminds me of the Leafs during the Burke years.

During the Burke years the Toronto fans still packed the house every night. Biggest suckers in sports.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
wanna hear something from ownership or the Pres? STOP plunking down your hard earned cash for mediocre product on the ice. Worked years ago, forced Jacobs to address a clear issue as there was literally thousands of empty seats dressed up like fans, only time an owner will seriously look at making change is when you hit em where it hurts and that`s the pocket IMO

I'm doing my part, but not many are it seems. Outside of a few exceptions, secondary market tix this season are ridiculous and inventory overall has been very low......surprising given the quality of the product on the ice (particularly at home)

From a business perspective, I understand this logic. As a fan, I hate it.

In order to voice my displeasure with the direction of the team, I'm supposed to give up my season tickets. Until this year, there would be a line of people waiting to snatch them up, and at a higher cost, which actually benefits ownership. I give up my seats, changes are made, and then as a 9 year STH I'm out on the street when things eventually do turn around?

I've had to eat tickets for the first time this year, and a lot of other STHs I know have as well. I've sold for less than face on more than one occasion. While that doesn't affect the team's bottom line, it does show that demand isn't there. The demand/interest in the team is definitely down, the building is rarely full, concessions have to be down, and the pro shop is always empty. None of those things are a good look, and as a businessman, Jacobs knows that.

Success is cyclical. Sometimes to make sure you're there for the highs, you have to stick with it through the lows, too. I get that the best way to voice your displeasure is with your wallet -- but when you have a lot of time and money invested as a STH, it's not that easy to just walk away.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Possibly, but Bruins fans don't plan the championship parade every year.

At least not the majority on this board don't. ;)

They have announced every game as a sellout but several have been not even close.

The issue is rates for the advertising ribbons are set on attendance as TV does not pick them up.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
From a business perspective, I understand this logic. As a fan, I hate it.

In order to voice my displeasure with the direction of the team, I'm supposed to give up my season tickets. Until this year, there would be a line of people waiting to snatch them up, and at a higher cost, which actually benefits ownership. I give up my seats, changes are made, and then as a 9 year STH I'm out on the street when things eventually do turn around?

I've had to eat tickets for the first time this year, and a lot of other STHs I know have as well. I've sold for less than face on more than one occasion. While that doesn't affect the team's bottom line, it does show that demand isn't there. The demand/interest in the team is definitely down, the building is rarely full, concessions have to be down, and the pro shop is always empty. None of those things are a good look, and as a businessman, Jacobs knows that.

Success is cyclical. Sometimes to make sure you're there for the highs, you have to stick with it through the lows, too. I get that the best way to voice your displeasure is with your wallet -- but when you have a lot of time and money invested as a STH, it's not that easy to just walk away.

Kate - great post. My feelings are exactly the same. I am also a 9 year season ticket holder and I feel stuck. The product on ice isn't worth the cost right now. I am having a tuff time even selling tickets for face value. Add in the fact they charge us full price for 3 preseason tickets and the fact my tickets have gone from $50 a game back in 2007 to $95 a game now I am torn. I love my seat location but its just not a good value for the cost. Tough call….I remember getting season tickets and walking in and the ticket rep said "you can basically pick your seats - there are about 14,000 open seats to pick from".

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Kate - great post. My feelings are exactly the same. I am also a 9 year season ticket holder and I feel stuck. The product on ice isn't worth the cost right now. I am having a tuff time even selling tickets for face value. Add in the fact they charge us full price for 3 preseason tickets and the fact my tickets have gone from $50 a game back in 2007 to $95 a game now I am torn. I love my seat location but its just not a good value for the cost. Tough call….I remember getting season tickets and walking in and the ticket rep said "you can basically pick your seats - there are about 14,000 open seats to pick from".

We had the same conversation with our rep when we bought in. Could pick anything we wanted -- we knew we wanted low row balcony on the aisle, and that's what we ended up with. I love our location, it's incredibly convenient to bathroom/concessions/in and out. Our price went from $24 in '07 to $52 now. The game we ate was our fault, we waited too long to post them for sale. Lesson learned, and all games we know we can't go to have now been spoken for. We're not looking to make money (if we do, bonus), so as long as we're breaking even for the most part it doesn't make sense for us to ditch the tickets. Things will, eventually, get better.

It's not as easy as you might think to talk with your wallet. You're giving up more than just hockey tickets.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
We had the same conversation with our rep when we bought in. Could pick anything we wanted -- we knew we wanted low row balcony on the aisle, and that's what we ended up with. I love our location, it's incredibly convenient to bathroom/concessions/in and out. Our price went from $24 in '07 to $52 now. The game we ate was our fault, we waited too long to post them for sale. Lesson learned, and all games we know we can't go to have now been spoken for. We're not looking to make money (if we do, bonus), so as long as we're breaking even for the most part it doesn't make sense for us to ditch the tickets. Things will, eventually, get better.

It's not as easy as you might think to talk with your wallet. You're giving up more than just hockey tickets.

The fans would never do it but his money or most of it isn't from the gate. Its the concessions. That's where he'd be hit the hardest. I have that from someone that knows a lot about such things.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
The fans would never do it but his money or most of it isn't from the gate. Its the concessions. That's where he'd be hit the hardest. I have that from someone that knows a lot about such things.

That doesn't surprise me at all.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I think the Jacobs do fear that fans will vote with their wallet and try to be preemptive. Sometimes I think the Bruins are in a tough spot in the Boston sports market, especially with there being so much local success the last 15 years and hockey being a popular but not primary sport and there being lots of games in town. Would masses of Bruins fans accept a full rebuild? I think the Jacobs fear they wouldn't so when the team is on the downcycle they do something like give 30 million to 30 something David Backes to try to generate some buzz and keep the hotdog line moving.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The pro shop is getting hammered. Very little traffic during and after a game.

Sadly this has become Nero fiddles while Rome burns. The only person in management talking to the media is Claude and his frustration is showing.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Should've just blown it up in 2014-15, bottomed out for a couple of years, and rebuilt. Instead of this half-assed "retool" that they're doing now that isn't working. Reminds me of the Leafs during the Burke years.

They're trying to follow the Ken Holland model for the Red Wings. Unfortunately none of the three is Ken Holland....

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney needs to come out and tell us everything- at least something so some can go in their usual ****** mode and say he suckz

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
JJ is a delusional fool if he thinks this team is making a deep run in the playoffs. The only way JJ will see the finals is to buy a Black Hawks ticket.

The Bruins are bad enough to miss the playoffs but not so bad as to make the 1st round of the draft anyway worthwhile. Sweeney is trying but it's hard to make chicken salad out of chicken ***t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->