Management Jeremy Jacobs expects Bruins to run 'deep in the playoffs'

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Wouldn't expect an owner to say anything but that. And I doubt he believes that.

What's ol' JJ going to say to the public? He'd be happy with a one and done playoff appearance? Even though realistically given they have missed the playoffs two consecutive season, a 1st round loss where they push the winner to the brink ala 2008 should be considered a successful season. All I want to see is progress, that's it really. No more tire spinning.

As far as an owner's public comments, it's just JJ putting on his salesman cap.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This is an important year for the Bruins, highly important.
I agree with EverettMike on that.

Jacobs comments can really end up hurting this team for years.

I know you see this as a 100 point team and a team that has no flaws but I dont.

This is ridiculous. I know you live in the twitter/playstation/me now age and think about sports along those terms (ie how dare we miss the playoffs by a point we should have tanked to be like Edmonton or Toronto and traded Bergeron with Loui for a better return) but this owner for all his faults is accustomed to making the playoffs and will not let the team have consecutive top 5/10 picks.

Last year we drafted 5 guys in the top 50 and this year it was 3. The organization is also the best in the NHL at signing college free agents. And scouts mid draft talent better than top 20 guys.

Blue line is a problem? Well we not only have a 19 year old kid showing up to camp and seriously outplaying our fringe NHL/AHL stars in Morrow and C MIller but OGara showing up as the next McQuaid/K Miller as a first year pro. Whats wrong with that? Isn't that improving without making a stupid deal??? How many 1st/2nd round drafted D men do we have in the system other than Carlo....3? 3 1st round forwards too from the last 2 drafts and none are named Heinen or Czarnik the 2 forwards to make the team in camp. Are you just ignoring this stuff?

This summer was always going to be rough with us looking at 2 more years of Chara and Seidenberg. One got bought out you got what you wished/demandded.

Fans like you would have bitten off Burke's arm for Tomas Kaberle in 2009 and coughed a pick up along with Thrill Kessel to get him because we needed that PMD so bad.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Its seriously funny that Jacobs is being lambasted for never allowing the Bruins to suck for an extended period of time. This thread makes our fans collectively look so stupid its not even funny.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is an important year for the Bruins, highly important.
I agree with EverettMike on that.

Jacobs comments can really end up hurting this team for years.

I know you see this as a 100 point team and a team that has no flaws but I dont.

Flawless !!!! They are perfect-o:clap::bow::thumbu:

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
They are words.

If anyone is seriously thinking that the FO will react to them they're wacked. Anything the guy does or says gets quite a reaction here. Last years press conferences are an example. It's ridiculous.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Its seriously funny that Jacobs is being lambasted for never allowing the Bruins to suck for an extended period of time. This thread makes our fans collectively look so stupid its not even funny.

In fairness 80% of the Bruins fans here started really following Late April 2011.

Considering it's been only 5 years I think overall they are doing well and getting better every year :handclap:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
They are words.

If anyone is seriously thinking that the FO will react to them they're wacked. Anything the guy does or says gets quite a reaction here. Last years press conferences are an example. It's ridiculous.

Hes not a 'bad' owner to begin with.

Add in a salary cap and the guy becomes a good to very good owner. We should be up there for best record in the NHL since the 2005 lockout probably top 5 overall record and top 10 playoff games/wins.

I'll make a soccer analogy to Jacobs. Hes not Roman Abramovich or Man City's Sheik Monsour. But he's Stan Kroenke/Arsenal. They aren't getting relegated and will play in the Champions League basically every year and have a lot of good players. Built the Garden with his own money.

He had a good offseason he payed for Seidenberg's buyout and gave the money that would have gone to Loui to a much tougher player who fits our team very well. Nice new practice facilty. Guys like Marchand and Krug leaving money on the table to be here long term. He can say whatever he wants.

I think we need to try and get one of these RFA D men though would make that next step so much easier for all the high draft picks still in juniors to do well soon on the big club. Sweeney's picks shouldn't be expected to put us over the top.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
His ownership has seen plenty of suck.

They put all their chips on black and it turned out red during the first NHL lockout. Resulted in going from good to suck without games being played I know a couple calendar years passed but thats a more extreme drop off than the 98 Marlins in terms of games played we were #1 in the East in 2004.

The suck in the 90s turned around really quickly with Pat Burns being hired. Cheaped out on a very good team earlier in the decade but he did build the new building. Sinden is his biggest mistake.

Since Sinden has been gone things have been good and Jacobs has a very solid record. His kid caring is a good thing. As is Cam being the buffer between the two of them and Donny.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I read nothing sinister in Jeremy's statement today. He owns the team and is a fan. He know the players who have been there, and has no doubt been told good things about the young players. In this case I think he is doing what you would expect from an owner, he is selling tickets. He just can't come out and say, look we know this is a transitional year, but we are hoping things will break our way and we'll be able to sneak into the playoffs as the 3rd seed in our division.

This is a far cry from Charlie Jacobs going to the media in Jan 2015 called the team and incredible failure and insisted that everyone in the org was being evaluated, and missing the playoffs was unacceptable

EDIT: I do not think Jacobs meddles in the day to day hockey business anymore. I very much believe he is hands off. Jeremy that is. That being said statements like this absolutely put pressure on guys like Sweeney.

I don't think Jeremy Jacobs has ever meddled in the Day to Day operations of the hockey club. For 28 years he gave Harry Sinden complete control of the team, and Sinden ran the team as he saw fit

This. Could've gotten a great return(another 1st round pick and a player) and saved all the picks they moved for Liles and Stempniak.

Maybe, but they insist there was never an offer of a first round pick, forget a first round pick and another player.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
This. Could've gotten a great return(another 1st round pick and a player) and saved all the picks they moved for Liles and Stempniak.

Except sweeney confirmed nobody was offering even just a first, much less a first and a player.

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
What was he suppose to say?
"We have no shot, but our Roster would be highly competitive for the Calder Cup if we were an AHL team, so there's that"
As long as the Bruins remember it isn't a 68 game season, they'll make the playoffs.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
What's ol' JJ going to say to the public? He'd be happy with a one and done playoff appearance? Even though realistically given they have missed the playoffs two consecutive season, a 1st round loss where they push the winner to the brink ala 2008 should be considered a successful season. All I want to see is progress, that's it really. No more tire spinning.

As far as an owner's public comments, it's just JJ putting on his salesman cap.

They are words.

Yes, and hell yes.

JJ is just saying what he thinks STHs need to hear so that they feel good about plunking down thousands after having missed the playoffs twice. One of the biggest perks of being a STH is access to cheap playoff tickets, and STHs are mad that, for the second year in a row, they've had a playoff promise that's been broken. (And I mean a literal promise. Chara even promised little Johnny at the STH State of the Bruins that they'd make the playoffs in 2014-5.)

And you can't blame him. Having low expectations helps nobody. Smart fans know that this roster is at best a crapshoot, depending on surprise performances from players like Acciari, Carlo, and O'Gara. They could be crushed in the NHL. They could give us a trip to the playoffs. Or, like Pastrnak in 2014-5, one or more of them could be a single bright spot in an otherwise terrible season.

I can't take JJ's comments too seriously. I give him credit for letting us spend to the cap, and I don't get the impression that he meddles in the day-to-day. I get the impression that he sets the tone (ie we have a chance to make the playoffs, so make it happen), and Sweeneely are charged with executing it.

Remember: we're dealing with incomplete information. I can't blame Sweeney too much for keeping Eriksson, or even for trading those picks away at the deadline. The best offers for Eriksson might have been crap. If that's the case and we were locked with Loui, it's reasonable to spend a little on a playoff lottery ticket.

Remember, we were one game away from making the playoffs, BOTH YEARS. I'm not entirely sure whether last season we got lucky and "deserved" to do worse, or if we got unlucky and deserved to do better. My guess would be we deserved slightly better - and that slightly better means we were a playoff team.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Except sweeney confirmed nobody was offering even just a first, much less a first and a player.

I believe Sweeney is an honest guy but he would have no benefit in admitting that he was offered a first and declined it.

I just don't believe every word I hear. It's like/is politics.

catsmasher

Mar 8, 2012
Hey JJ, then change management and coach. Let's hope they make the playoffs let alone going deep.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hey JJ, then change management and coach. Let's hope they make the playoffs let alone going deep.

So who do you want instead? Should he waste money on hiring 5 different GM's to collectively do 1 guys job like the Maple Leafs owners have done with that 'braintrust'???

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is ridiculous. I know you live in the twitter/playstation/me now age and think about sports along those terms (ie how dare we miss the playoffs by a point we should have tanked to be like Edmonton or Toronto and traded Bergeron with Loui for a better return) but this owner for all his faults is accustomed to making the playoffs and will not let the team have consecutive top 5/10 picks.

Last year we drafted 5 guys in the top 50 and this year it was 3. The organization is also the best in the NHL at signing college free agents. And scouts mid draft talent better than top 20 guys.

Blue line is a problem? Well we not only have a 19 year old kid showing up to camp and seriously outplaying our fringe NHL/AHL stars in Morrow and C MIller but OGara showing up as the next McQuaid/K Miller as a first year pro. Whats wrong with that? Isn't that improving without making a stupid deal??? How many 1st/2nd round drafted D men do we have in the system other than Carlo....3? 3 1st round forwards too from the last 2 drafts and none are named Heinen or Czarnik the 2 forwards to make the team in camp. Are you just ignoring this stuff?

This summer was always going to be rough with us looking at 2 more years of Chara and Seidenberg. One got bought out you got what you wished/demandded.

Fans like you would have bitten off Burke's arm for Tomas Kaberle in 2009 and coughed a pick up along with Thrill Kessel to get him because we needed that PMD so bad.

I'm interested in building a Stanley Cup winner, a base for potential Stanley Cup winner.
Instead of a just a playoff team, what this is, it's hurting this team now and longterm.

I haven't said be like Edmonton, but how often does rebuilds on fly end up successfull, how much did keeping Lou help this team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad