Management Jeremy Jacobs expects Bruins to run 'deep in the playoffs'

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Pretty much. What did people expect him to say? Don't buy my product?

"I'm just hoping we find a way to squeak into the playoffs so I can squeeze some more cash from Bruins fans for two or three more home games. But realistically, we're probably two, maybe three years away from making serious noise. Get your tickets now!"

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
I get the leader saying we will do well buy tickets thing, but saying this year we are expecting to make a strong push to make the playoffs might be a bit more realistic

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'm interested in building a Stanley Cup winner, a base for potential Stanley Cup winner.
Instead of a just a playoff team, what this is, it's hurting this team now and longterm.

I haven't said be like Edmonton, but how often does rebuilds on fly end up successfull, how much did keeping Lou help this team?

Brad's contract likely had a lot to do with keeping Loui. Why would he take less money if we were trading a top line player when being 3/4 in the standings?

Back in fall of 2013 1 year prior to giving Boychuk away we did something really stupid and gave Seidenberg a 4 year extension prior to the last year on his deal. I think every Bruins fan should have realized he didn't have 5 years left and once that happened that we were going to be F-ed on D summer 2016 when both him and Chara were signed for 11 mil and had 2 more years and were going to be too old to be anywhere near worth it.

Well, its that summer. We had to buy out Seids. We have 2 similar players in K Miller and McQuaid who the team leaned on too much being a little overpaid. Krug on the left with 2 guys who have seen better days. But at least we have a better young option than friggen Colin Miller and Joe Morrow. There's the results of 5 picks in the top 50 Carlo might be better than Hamilton this year look how bad the Flames were last year vs the year before.

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
Owner going on record as to his expectations, to me those expectations are unreasonable given the talent level of this team but if 2016 Bruins meet them neely and Sweeney will have established that many of their let's say unorthodox moves were correct. However anyone who thinks neely survives missing playoffs 3 years in a row is a dreamer. Win win for me. If they are THAT good will enjoy watching them, if they miss again I will expect to see someone who appears to be in over his head replaced by competent management. New president can make call on Sweeney and Claude. I suspect Sweeney certain to go and Claude very likely but we shall see.

Hard to get hard data on private company but to me Interest in Bruins hasn't been this low in about a decade. I mean a couple of weeks ago they offered discounted tickets to anyone who is registered with USA hockey. You unlikely to do that if interest high and sales strong. Tv ratings were pathetic last year for major hockey market 3 years removed from cup run. People voting on directions of team with their clickers.

Felger and the lackeys will blame a 3rd miss on the long gone Chiarelli and or Claude but my guess is Jerry knows that's bs. Sink or swim cam.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
They are trying to drum up excitement about the team, what else are they going to say, go watch something else.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It is also obvious that Papa Jacobs wants to be in the same room when Charlie meets the media.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
This just confirms what we knew. There's no real plan here. There's a cake and eat it too "strategy" that has them thinking we can be good now, and later. We'll see about that.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This is what I came to post. What's he supposed to say? As if what he had to say had any validity anyway

Exactly. This happens on a daily basis. Nothing more than a PR move both for the club and his business.

I also think Fenway is correct in suggesting that there was a hidden message to Cam in those comments.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
How many team presidents around the league are of the Neely/Brendan Shanahan, ex-player mold and how many are of the GM/businessman mold?

Just wondering.

Obviously each team might arrange their front office differently.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I'm frustrated by the past 2 seasons and I want to be a contender again, too.

But I understand we finally have a good prospect pool and I don't want to **** that all away to keep a few jobs. I hope he understands where we are as an organization.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
How many team presidents around the league are of the Neely/Brendan Shanahan, ex-player mold and how many are of the GM/businessman mold?

Just wondering.

Not every team has a Prez, so I looked at GM's instead.

It's easier to list the guys that aren't former players that made it to the Pro level:

Chiarelli
Fletcher
Bowman
Chayka
Armstrong
Lou Lams
Dorion
Murray
Shero
Gorton
Lombardi

Some good names there, so be playing pro is not a necessity for success. It should be noted that several of the above GM's have family connections to the NHL, which is how they got into the biz.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Just wondering.

It's odd isn't it?

Would you consider Stan Bowman, Lou Lams, Dean Lombardi, and to a lesser degree Doug Armstrong, good NHL GM's?

And what do they have in common with Tim Murray, Chuck Fletcher, Jeff Gorton, Pierre Dorion and John Chayka?

None of them played a single game in the NHL and only Murray had any professional playing career (33 games in the AHL)

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I'm interested in building a Stanley Cup winner, a base for potential Stanley Cup winner.
Instead of a just a playoff team, what this is, it's hurting this team now and longterm.

I haven't said be like Edmonton, but how often does rebuilds on fly end up successfull, how much did keeping Lou help this team?

IMO, it helped getting Marchand to buy in long term with short money. You can't give up on a team and trade your top line RW with goals in the high 20s for draft picks when you are firmly in a playoff spot, or even competing for a spot. What kind of message does that send? Why would anyone want to play or sign here?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I don't get what you are saying. So you are an advocate of the should have traded Loui camp?

I thought I remembered you arguing until your finger tips were black and blue from typing that the Bruins should not trade Loui, until it became obvious that they tried to.

Maybe it's my old age playing tricks on my memory

So I googled HF Boards BB88 Bruins should keep Loui.

Surprising what I found. You were an advocate of keeping Loui whether the Bruins were in a playoff spot or not.

Lot of posts like this one http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=108849975&postcount=44

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Thing is, why would you say any different to your guys, especially your young players?

Something tells me every single team believes they have the talent to win, there's a ton of parity and these guys are playing in the best hockey league in the world

I think it's only once you start losing games that reality sinks in, but you have to believe going in to the season that you're there for more than just a paycheck.

Imagine telling a bunch of young guys fighting for spots "meh, just do your best, we're really pretty mediocre anyways"

All that said, ultimately Sweeney needs to make the roster decisions. It's one thing to say that, it's another to force your GM to move futures when your team clearly doesn't have what it takes and spring is approaching. Hopefully JJ doesn't do that to the Don, we have a good thing going and I'm willing to wait to get a real prize eventually. We've already seen sweeney'a decisions produce so far, we're about to go into the season with several players he either drafted, advocated for, or helped mold - or all of the above.

Anyone (well maybe besides me :naughty:) expect Carlo to make the team a year after he was drafted? I doubt it.

The man has a plan, let's enjoy the ride

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I have a feeling thats a pre written speech. Not even the Jacobs can be that far out of touch with reality.

This is the man who hired low-cost yes-men as GM and as president. His right hand man is his son who goes to bed every night dreaminng about the billionws he's about to inherit. He has no one around him to bring him back to reality.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Exactly. This happens on a daily basis. Nothing more than a PR move both for the club and his business.

I also think Fenway is correct in suggesting that there was a hidden message to Cam in those comments.

If it were just a PR move it's really stupid. You don't overpromise and under deliver.

He might genuinely believe this, but saying so publicly lets management know what his expectations are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad