Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
With Brook turning pro next year, the smart move for MB is to trade Weber and keep Petry. Petry is younger and much faster. Weber will get you Hague, a 1st and more from Vegas. No chance MB does it though. Weber will be 36 or 37 when this team is ready to compete again for the cup.
Yes, 3-4 years away, a nice safe distance so that you don't have to feel any pressure for your team to win games, and you can tell any friends you have that the team you irrationally cheer for is only losing games because it's a great strategy that you understand!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the strategy is to move him out.. we gotta hope he keeps it up

There is already enough sample size of his recent production for other GM's to value. Even if Petry's production drops a bit, He still would be considered a 40 pts D man that is a big mobile body and does all the things a coach values.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
There is already enough sample size of his recent production for other GM's to value. Even if Petry's production drops a bit, He still would be considered a 40 pts D man that is a big mobile body and does all the things a coach values.

I'm fine with moving Petry but not for just a late first or worse. He indeed has value! The return should be Tatar-like, or with a recent first round prospect taking the place of the second rounder.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm fine with moving Petry but not for just a late first or worse. He indeed has value! The return should be Tatar-like, or with a recent first round prospect taking the place of the second rounder.

Totally agree and most Habs fans that are willing to move Petry feel the same. Pry-away factor and give us solid futures if you want this very good top 4D who has shown ability to produce offensive numbers in the last two seasons.

This would be my memo in regards to Petry possibly becoming available:
- 1st round pick in 2019
- Grade A prospect at LD
- Future 2nd

Reactions: Fixxer and Agalloch

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
obsessed much.

Yeah, I'm a Habs fan since 1963. I irrationally cheer for this team even though by pure logic there is no reason for it. Most fans are "fan-atic", in fact that's the source of the word "fan".

As a fan, I do NOT want my GM to START competing for a cup in 3-4 years, more than halfway through Kotkaniemi's cost-controlled years.

I want the GM to improve the team on a long-term basis, today, tomorrow, next week, at the trade deadline, next summer, next TDL, etc. I want to be opening the cup-contention window within another year or so. If George McPhee can start with less and get fast results, this time-frame is fair.

If Bergevin is not ujp to the job (and I think he is not),. get someone else. #DaChampion might do the job.

Reactions: MasterD

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, I'm a Habs fan since 1963. I irrationally cheer for this team even though by pure logic there is no reason for it. Most fans are "fan-atic", in fact that's the source of the word "fan".

As a fan, I do NOT want my GM to START competing for a cup in 3-4 years, more than halfway through Kotkaniemi's cost-controlled years.

I want the GM to improve the team on a long-term basis, today, tomorrow, next week, at the trade deadline, next summer, next TDL, etc. I want to be opening the cup-contention window within another year or so. If George McPhee can start with less and get fast results, this time-frame is fair.

If Bergevin is not ujp to the job (and I think he is not),. get someone else. #DaChampion might do the job.

Vegas went on a magical playoff run. They might not even make the playoffs this year. And they made several trades using futures (Tatar and then Patch) cause they have false hope. Just like the Sens did last year.

We don't want magical playoff runs where we fall short. We want year after year cup contenders like the Lightning have been and will be.

What would I have done if I was our GM?
- I sit down with Price, Weber, Gallagher before the season starts and tell them we will be heading towards a youth movement. There will be growing pains but the plan is to be a much stronger team in 2 years. I tell them they are part of my long term plan.
- Kotkaniemi stays away from my stay at the bottom attempt year. He either plays Liiga or AHL.
- I don't waive Scherbak and DLR over Deslauries, Alzner, Benn, Schlemko.
- Let the kids play and learn on the job. Test them and then you see what you got right?
- I dangle Petry, Byron, Tatar at certain points to see what we can get in return.

My plan would be to focus on an accelerated rebuild from what we could get for Petry, Byron, Tatar and with our own picks cause likely get another top 10 pick with a decent shot at a lottery win

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I doubt the Habs move Petry - I don't know why people keep talking about it. He's playing great, and he's under contract for a few more years, and he has a NMC, and he's one of the team's best players. Maybe in a couple of years, but it's much more likely one of the other dmen get traded this year.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I doubt the Habs move Petry - I don't know why people keep talking about it. He's playing great, and he's under contract for a few more years, and he has a NMC, and he's one of the team's best players. Maybe in a couple of years, but it's much more likely one of the other dmen get traded this year.
He's our most worthwhile non-core player. He is prime trade bait of the highest order. The only better players to ever get traded at the deadline are core players who are upcoming FAs. Otherwise, he is a prime candidate to benefit the Habs in a trade deadline bidding war.

Reactions: groovejuice and LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The thing to keep in mind is Petrry is not UFA. There's still two years left to his contract and this is a good contract. While i personally think he is playing over his head right now like someone else said in a previous post the sample size of big enough to consider him a solid 40 points top 4 dman for the next 2 season on his contract (a real one not like Alzner). While he is not the best dman around defensively speaking his offensive contributions far outweigh his small defensive liabilities.

Nobody is saying we should trade Petry for a late 1st round pick. He is under contract and right now one of the very good RHD in the game. If we move him the return must be close to the one we got for Patch. I don't think it's a stretch to assume we could get close to that for Petry.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

It's a limited one starting this year. Starting this year he can only submit a list of 15 teams he doesn't want to be traded to.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I mean... I can see why people would look to trade him but the fact is we'll be fighting for the last WC spot all year (most likely) and he's proven to be reliable enough when Weber isn't there to step in as our #1, even if it's not the most ideal situation (but nothing ever is when you lose your #1D). Would we rather have a Juulsen step in as our #1? I love the guy but he's not ready for that and may never be. Petry also brings that veteran presence back there when Weber isn't around and can lead his own unit on the 2nd pairing.

Now if someone offered as a legit, prime aged top-4 LHD for our prime-aged, top-4 RHD, then maybe there's something there, but as of now it doesn't make much sense to move him.

If we completely fall out of the playoff race and become full blown sellers, then maybe. His term definitely would help whatever return we get.

Reactions: Habs Icing

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
What would I have done if I was our GM?
- I sit down with Price, Weber, Gallagher before the season starts and tell them we will be heading towards a youth movement.

That's in case none of the three figured it out when they saw Plekanec and Alzner sit out games 1&2 and many more, when Plekanec later got released and Alzner sent down to Laval, and the former captain moved for a younger player and future assets. Perhaps the GM could bring to their attention that we now have the youngest player in the league on the team as well. Like just in case they didn't realize.

Reactions: MasterD

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Trade his ass! We could get lucky, which seems to be how we survive LOL! Seriously, even for a late first rounder. Just my .02 and the guy is 31...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The thing to keep in mind is Petrry is not UFA. There's still two years left to his contract and this is a good contract. While i personally think he is playing over his head right now like someone else said in a previous post the sample size of big enough to consider him a solid 40 points top 4 dman for the next 2 season on his contract (a real one not like Alzner). While he is not the best dman around defensively speaking his offensive contributions far outweigh his small defensive liabilities.

Nobody is saying we should trade Petry for a late 1st round pick. He is under contract and right now one of the very good RHD in the game. If we move him the return must be close to the one we got for Patch. I don't think it's a stretch to assume we could get close to that for Petry.

We couldn't get Suzuki alone for Petry. Maybe at the deadline if hes still on pace for 50 points though.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
He's our most worthwhile non-core player. He is prime trade bait of the highest order. The only better players to ever get traded at the deadline are core players who are upcoming FAs. Otherwise, he is a prime candidate to benefit the Habs in a trade deadline bidding war.

I totally agree he has good value, but he's more valuable to the Habs than anything they are likely to get back for him. No point trading Petry until he has some serious competition for his spot in the lineup, which might not happen during the life of his contract. Even if the Habs are in full rebuild, having vet dmen are really important. But we'll see what happens - anything's possible.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We couldn't get Suzuki alone for Petry. Maybe at the deadline if hes still on pace for 50 points though.

I'm not sure what we can get for Petry but the price to acquire is not pending UFA price. My asking price would be the same approach we took with Patch. Pay up or you don't get him.

- Grade A prospect at LD
- 2019 1st
- Future 2nd.

Said it before and will say it again, I want a solid piece for each year in term left.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure what we can get for Petry but the price to acquire is not pending UFA price. My asking price would be the same approach we took with Patch. Pay up or you don't get him.

- Grade A prospect at LD
- 2019 1st
- Future 2nd.

Said it before and will say it again, I want a solid piece for each year in term left.

Petry hasn't made a name for himself the way patches had. Petry putting up points over 30 games isn't nearly as bold of a statement as having done so after 60 games. That's why I think he'll be more valuable at the deadline. If he's the only dman available that is top 10 in league scoring for dmen. Contenders wanting to take their blue line to another level may be then willing to give up quality futures. Suzuki is a lottery talent that is developing well, much better asset than a late 1st. Those assets don't go often at the deadline.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I wrestle mentally on whether to trade Petry.

Part of me wants to keep him because, well the defense isn't stellar with him and the depth really falls off after him so...

But the other part of me knows that his trade value is probably at an all time high.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I wrestle mentally on whether to trade Petry.

Part of me wants to keep him because, well the defense isn't stellar with him and the depth really falls off after him so...

But the other part of me knows that his trade value is probably at an all time high.

His value may be at an all time high, but it may not be because 30 something games is a small sample size. If he can continue at this pace until the deadline, his value will be at an all time high. I think he can do it. Especially if he stays on the pp and the pp gets going.

And, imo, the only reasons you trade Petry are:
1) to get a LD of equal value. (unlikely)
2) to try to get futures (I would do it for this, but MB won't)
3) to try to get a package like the Pacioretty trade of futures and a roster player of equal, close to equal, or even better value. (this type of trade does happen sometimes - another example is Bobby Ryan for Siverberg, a 1st and a prospect, but they usually involve a player with a bigger, longer reputation as being elite or close to elite. So although MB would do it, it's also unlikely)

Last edited:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
His value may be at an all time high, but it may not be because 30 something games is a small sample size. If he can continue at this pace until the deadline, his value will be at an all time high. I think he can do it. Especially if he stays on the pp and the pp gets going.

And, imo, the only reasons you trade Petry are:
1) to get a LD of equal value. (unlikely)
2) to try to get futures (I would do it for this, but MB won't)
3) to try to get a package like the Pacioretty trade of futures and a roster player of equal, close to equal, or even better value. (this type of trade does happen sometimes - another example is Bobby Ryan for Siverberg, a 1st and a prospect, but they usually involve a player with a bigger, longer reputation as being elite or close to elite. So although MB would do it, it's also unlikely)

He did produce 42 points last year which puts him in the top 25 D for point production. I think that's a fairly good sample size to say he is a top2/4 offense oriented D.

If you combine both seasons , he is at 21st in the NHL for points produced by D...Not too shabby!

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
He did produce 42 points last year which puts him in the top 25 D for point production. I think that's a fairly good sample size to say he is a top2/4 offense oriented D.

Exactly.

He had a career year offensively last year and he's on pace to have an even better year this season.

He's top 10 in NHL defenseman scoring right now.

He's 31, two years left on his deal after this season at a very reasonable 5.5M caphit.

There are good arguments on both sides (to keep him or trade him). I'm on the fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad