Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I guess it depends on if you see him long term with this team or not. I actually like Petry a lot (brain farts and everything), but not sure I see him on the team in 3 years. I think he's really in his prime right now, and I don't think he'll get better than this. If this Habs can get a Sandin type prospect to go along with a first rounder, then I think you have to consider it. Imagine if we pick up a good defence man with our later first round pick, our prospect pool on defence would be much better than today:

Noah Juulsen (21)
Victor Mete (20)

Josh Brook
Rasmus Sandin (or another grade A prospect)
Cale Fleury
Alexander Romanov
Jordan Harris
Matthew Robertson (2019 draft as an example of what we can get)

Jarret Tsyzka
Scott Walford

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Trading him for picks and prospect is good and all, but you need good veterans to shelter and teach the kids. Weber, juuuulsen and Petry is a good defense where you can slide in prospect and teach how to play d in the nhl.

Petry is a very important piece of this team
And if he can be re-signed at a reasonable amount and term, you do it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bergevin wants to win now. Only way he moves Petry is to get a LD as good as Petry now.

Also, I wonder if the best first unit would have both Petry and Weber at the point. An added bonus would be Petry would have a much better chance of getting to 50-60 points. Having said that I think the current top 5 (Weber, Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, and KK) will figure it out. Weber was being covered so closely that it opened things up for Drouin on the point. Drouin was doing good things with that space. The puck will start to go in.

I agree when we think about what Bergevin will do. No way he trades Petry for futures in our pride/rebound year where we come close to either making or missing the playoffs.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I agree when we think about what Bergevin will do. No way he trades Petry for futures in our pride/rebound year where we come close to either making or missing the playoffs.

With few injuries, this team has a very high chance of making the playoffs. But I suppose every team can say that

If I were management I'd be looking closely at what has caused injuries in the recent past and educate players accordingly. Of course they have to go all out, but since imo injuries will define the season, I would ask them to avoid certain situations, making certain kinds of plays.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With few injuries, this team has a very high chance of making the playoffs. But I suppose every team can say that

If I were management I'd be looking closely at what has caused injuries in the recent past and educate players accordingly. Of course they have to go all out, but since imo injuries will define the season, I would ask them to avoid certain situations, making certain kinds of plays.

Injuries are going to happen. It just sucks big time when it's Price and Weber at the same time. People ignored this last year and insisted we were as bad as the record showed without 2 of our best players. Same story in the 15/16 season.

Shore up that D and limit teams to 2 goals (+/-) and we will be fine if we don't have major injuries. But look up front, lots of small players that can get hurt.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Injuries are going to happen. It just sucks big time when it's Price and Weber at the same time. People ignored this last year and insisted we were as bad as the record showed without 2 of our best players. Same story in the 15/16 season.

Shore up that D and limit teams to 2 goals (+/-) and we will be fine if we don't have major injuries. But look up front, lots of small players that can get hurt.

In your examples, the injured players were two of our biggest players. Are the two guys who are out now small? I think size has less and less to do with injuries as the game has changed.

Even Pleky went almost a whole career without being injured.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I know it was hard to watch on some nights, but being the go to guy for roughly a year has changed his game. He takes charge now. He's an important piece and he makes us very very strong on RD.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
With the expansion draft, many people think that we will lose him, because we have to protect weber, juulsen et mete. But this is my plan. I trade mete for a guy like jake muzzin or edmunson. I sign him for only a year. So at the expansion draft, he is a ufa. So im not obligated to protect him. I protect weber/juulsen and petry.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Trading him for picks and prospect is good and all, but you need good veterans to shelter and teach the kids. Weber, juuuulsen and Petry is a good defense where you can slide in prospect and teach how to play d in the nhl.

Petry is a very important piece of this team
And if he can be re-signed at a reasonable amount and term, you do it.

Petry's next contract is a trap contract. He's UFA at the age of 33. If you can extend him for 5 years (if you are lucky), you get him form 33-37. Do you think Petry is able to maintain this level of play till age 37? Were talking about a guy who is going to want to get paid too.

Lets look at the major points to consider:
- Habs won't be cup contenders year after year for a bit yet. Certainly not in the window with Petry's current contract
- Petry from age 31-33 at $5.5M is solid value. We can keep him to help our "make the playoffs where anything can happen" strategy
- What does Petry ask for as a 33 year old UFA? Term and AAV?
- Who else needs new contracts moving forward from now till when Petry is 33? Gallagher, Tatar, Domi, Lehkonen, Juulsen, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Brook, Mete.
- How does the depth look at RD? Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury.

Yeah, I get the current hope but our ability to improve our team is either to keep drafting and let the young kids develop or to go after improvements through trades and UFA signings? It's a critical path we are on at the moment. A nice hair cut would be smart. Trim off parts we can get returns for and let the hair grow again. Not talking about shaving all the hair off either. lol

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think Juulsen is better than either Mete or Reilly... Most definitely not better than Reilly at least.

In any case, if he can be a stabilizing presence on a 3rd pair, even better for us.
Seriously ? Juulsen is miles better than Rielly, and Mete. His defensive numbers are absolutely out of this world ... And it so happens that he produces more than them.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I was surprised to see him with more points than #1 D like Karlsson, Suter, Doughty, Hedman, Ekman-Larsson, Subban, Jones. That’s some elite company right here...

He’s got more points than any defensemen playing for the mighty Nashville Predators. (Tied with Josi)

He’s done good for himself imo

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Without Petry this years where not in the playoff right now
And with Petry what will happen ?

Also why are we not in PO's ?
This team has been in the PO's for the whole year and we had Juulsen as the 2nd pair D. Do you think Petry is better than Weber ?

Petry
Juulsen

Was good enough to make the PO's.

Weber
Juulsen

Don't you think that this is good enough for the PO's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->