Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I donno, it seems like Petry is getting better and better. I think we can win a cup with Price/Weber/Petry, and we need to do everything possible to get it done. With the addition of Kotka and Domi emerging at center, I don’t see a need to piss away the Weber/Price era for some “maybe this maybe that”prospects. .

Many people said to "add talent".

Well, we just ADDED two potential #1 Cs in one off season, one only 23 and the other 18!! And we got another top 19 year old talent who possibly will be Canada's #2C at the WJC, and can also play RW.

We also have an elite goalie who is hopefully returning to form, and a legit elite #1D.

Then add a 30-35 goal scoring winger who is only 26 and a 31 year old #2D who does not have a ton of miles on him and still has great legs.

We have talent. We'll get some more every year if we are smart. It makes no sense to trade away the talent you have to try to replace it on the maybe plan.

So unless someone offers a really strong trade return, maybe it's best to keep your 27, 28 and 29 year old forwards who can score 18-30 goals - EVERY WINNING TEAM needs them! The pro tankers give lip service to "of course it takes more than a Hughes", but then suggest to get rid of the "more" we already have.

smh

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Anything can happen in the playoffs! If Price decides to go into Superman mode we can win a cup if we add a couple pieces.

Just ****ing shoot me if we’re going to “tank/rebuild/“, how depressing, maybe in 5-10 years right boys?

Thinking anything can happen so long as you get in is a recipe for failure. Price going into Superman mode might win you one or two series much like Halak did, but hoping your goalie carries you for 4 series is just insane, even Hasek couldn't do that.

Now if we add some legitimate core pieces then sure it might make sense to keep Petry, but it would depend on what those pieces are, and I have a hard time seeing how we would get those core pieces without giving up an important piece.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Many people said to "add talent".

Well, we just ADDED two potential #1 Cs in one off season, one only 23 and the other 18!! And we got another top 19 year old talent who possibly will be Canada's #2C at the WJC, and can also play RW.

We also have an elite goalie who is hopefully returning to form, and a legit elite #1D.

Then add a 30-35 goal scoring winger who is only 26 and a 31 year old #2D who does not have a ton of miles on him and still has great legs.

We have talent. We'll get some more every year if we are smart. It makes no sense to trade away the talent you have to try to replace it on the maybe plan.

So unless someone offers a really strong trade return, maybe it's best to keep your 27, 28 and 29 year old forwards who can score 18-30 goals - EVERY WINNING TEAM needs them! The pro tankers give lip service to "of course it takes more than a Hughes", but then suggest to get rid of the "more" we already have.

smh
Maybe you and I should take this thing over and build a Championship team? :naughty:

I’m texting Molson as we speak.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I donno, it seems like Petry is getting better and better. I think we can win a cup with Price/Weber/Petry, and we need to do everything possible to get it done. With the addition of Kotka and Domi emerging at center, I don’t see a need to piss away the Weber/Price era for some “maybe this maybe that”prospects. We draft new prospects every year, we have enough young players with the team we currently have. We don’t need any more rookies.

Trade the whole farm and all the picks necessary to get us a LD and a top 6 forward. That’s my strategy, I want to win now, not build some imaginary future that may never bear fruit, while pissing away Weber/Price/Petry

Go Habs Go

**** a rebuild, **** tanking, I wanna win hockey games. Anything can happen when you are strong enough in the playoffs.

I'm not against this, I mostly just want us to pick a direction, either go into a rebuild or make a serious push. No more of this half rebuild half going for the playoffs.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Thinking anything can happen so long as you get in is a recipe for failure. Price going into Superman mode might win you one or two series much like Halak did, but hoping your goalie carries you for 4 series is just insane, even Hasek couldn't do that.

Now if we add some legitimate core pieces then sure it might make sense to keep Petry, but it would depend on what those pieces are, and I have a hard time seeing how we would get those core pieces without giving up an important piece.
I just suggested we acquire the 2 missing pieces by selling the farm.

Suzuki
Brook
Poehling
2019 1st
2020 1st

All out the door and see you later for:

Top 4 LD
Top 6 scoring Forward

Now we have our missing pieces.
We can hopefully also add another “stable” LD threw free agency.

Now we can compete for a cup. We just rebuild the farm in the years to come.

Or maybe just sit stagnant and wait for ever to develop prospects while pissing away the players we have. We won’t get anywhere like that.

We have all the pieces to the puzzle RIGHT NOW, we just have to move the pieces around properly and make the right trades. We have enough young players on the team, WE ARE THERE. It’s time to go for it, we have a perfect mix of veterans and youth! Let’s not wait till Byron, Shaw and Gallagher get too old.

Reactions: Sorinth

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I'm not against this, I mostly just want us to pick a direction, either go into a rebuild or make a serious push. No more of this half rebuild half going for the playoffs.
This is the only direction we should be moving towards considering that a “rebuild” is not possible in Montreal. It will never happen. It’s like beating a dead horse when talking about a rebuild.

We should be living in reality. And “rebuilds” don’t exist in ours.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I just suggested we acquire the 2 missing pieces by selling the farm.

Suzuki
Brook
Poehling
2019 1st
2020 1st

All out the door and see you later for:

Top 4 LD
Top 6 scoring Forward

Now we have our missing pieces.
We can hopefully also add another “stable” LD threw free agency.

Now we can compete for a cup. We just rebuild the farm in the years to come.

Or maybe just sit stagnant and wait for ever to develop prospects while pissing away the players we have. We won’t get anywhere like that.

We have all the pieces to the puzzle RIGHT NOW, we just have to move the pieces around properly and make the right trades. We have enough young players on the team, WE ARE THERE. It’s time to go for it, we have a perfect mix of veterans and youth! Let’s not wait till Byron, Shaw and Gallagher get too old.

I wouldn't expect this opinion to be popular on these boards, but it certainly could work, it mostly depends on who we get. But I'm not against it even though I doubt it would ever happen under Bergevin.

This is the only direction we should be moving towards considering that a “rebuild” is not possible in Montreal. It will never happen. It’s like beating a dead horse when talking about a rebuild.

We should be living in reality. And “rebuilds” don’t exist in ours.

Not sure I agree, when Bergevin was first hired I thought there was ample support for a proper rebuild. Back when Andre Savard got hired it seemed like there was decent support for a real rebuild then too.

I think the idea that it's not possible is BS. There would maybe be less revenue as merchandise wouldn't sell as much, maybe not every game would sell out, but we would still be one of the most profitable teams in the league.

The only reason it might not be possible is because the owner not the fans.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I wouldn't expect this opinion to be popular on these boards, but it certainly could work, it mostly depends on who we get. But I'm not against it even though I doubt it would ever happen under Bergevin.

Not sure I agree, when Bergevin was first hired I thought there was ample support for a proper rebuild. Back when Andre Savard got hired it seemed like there was decent support for a real rebuild then too.

I think the idea that it's not possible is BS. There would maybe be less revenue as merchandise wouldn't sell as much, maybe not every game would sell out, but we would still be one of the most profitable teams in the league.

The only reason it might not be possible is because the owner not the fans.
Price/Weber

This is why it isn’t possible. We are going to the end with these two guys like it or not.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
If you mean Bergevin or Molson won't allow the team to rebuild through tanking say that, don't say Montreal can't do that as it implies the fans wouldn't support it.
What a waste it would be to not give Price another chance at a cup...

If we’re going to rebuild then all of these guys should be traded at once for maximum returns.

Price
Weber
Petry
Gallagher
Byron
Tatar
Shaw

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
When you trade a player like that you need to have someone to replace him ! Our top 4 is already weak imagine without Petry ... they will be alote of player not in there chair

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What a waste it would be to not give Price another chance at a cup...

If we’re going to rebuild then all of these guys should be traded at once for maximum returns.

Price
Weber
Petry
Gallagher
Byron
Tatar
Shaw

Gallagher can stay. At 26 he'll still be good in 3 to 5 years. Plus, his value is not at a high point now - Danault's been his centerman.

Anyways, MB's not going down this road so it's a moot point.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think that alote here don't understand that you don't replace a 22 minutes guy in snapping fingers ! Oilers are still trying to find someone to replace Petry they even give up Hall for Larsson because top 4 RD are hard to find
A lot of OIler fans didn't like Petry. On the trade forum boards anyway. I imagine they knew him well. I asked about him going back there, they don't want him

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

smh
Reposted for emphasis.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

To think this team right now the way it's built has any chance of winning the cup is outright blind homerism. But MB within two months added two legit top 6 centers, a blue chip prospect that can play top 6 center or right wing, and a legit top 6 winger to replace a sad sack captain. Who is to say what changes can be made within the next three months? A couple of moves for legit left D and this team all of a sudden can be in the mix. But even if no moves are made this year, there is a strong core on this team that can be the foundation of a contender next year. If the right moves are made in the off season.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
A lot of OIler fans didn't like Petry. On the trade forum boards anyway. I imagine they knew him well. I asked about him going back there, they don't want him

they threw him out there for 246 games while no less than 30 other D came and went in that span.. Petry was one of the few of those that stayed in the league. The supporting cast of forwards were entitled children, tenured old clappers, and strait up 1 year contract bums..

shlt show

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Smart fans behind a shrewd GM. Petry was flawed, definitely not as good as Bobby Orr. So Chiarelli let Petry go for almost nothing, then had to trade former #1 overall future league MVP Taylor Hall in the prime of his career to get a decent defenceman, and the guy he gets (Adam Larsson) is farther from Orr calibre.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
To think this team right now the way it's built has any chance of winning the cup is outright blind homerism. But MB within two months added two legit top 6 centers, a blue chip prospect that can play top 6 center or right wing, and a legit top 6 winger to replace a sad sack captain. Who is to say what changes can be made within the next three months? A couple of moves for legit left D and this team all of a sudden can be in the mix. But even if no moves are made this year, there is a strong core on this team that can be the foundation of a contender next year. If the right moves are made in the off season.

I've always said keeping Petry, Weber, even Price should in large part be dependent on how quickly we think we can turn into a contender. If it's one or two years then by all means keep them, but I have serious doubts we can do it that quickly even though in year one we took a number of big strides towards doing it.

Reactions: Habs Icing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->