Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I don't think there's a rush to trade him, he's making genuine improvements to his game. He used to be more error prone but has really stabilized his play, and has improved his offensive timing. D development curve can take longer and quick physical decline isn't usually an issue. We only have 2 legit D-men and he would be very difficult to replace. Unless there is some crazy good offer to Bergevin, keep Petry.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The more you love Petry, the more you should want to trade his ass outta here. That's the smart, tough business move. Because the more you love something, the more others are likely to love it, too. It's true that we won't get anyone back who's as good as him. Right now. But we're not looking at 'right now', we're looking ahead two/three years from now, when 33/34 year-old Petry may be slowing down and the Habs ramping up. Two/three years is the target. What's our love gonna' look like by then?

Reactions: Sorinth

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Exactly.

He had a career year offensively last year and he's on pace to have an even better year this season.

He's top 10 in NHL defenseman scoring right now.

He's 31, two years left on his deal after this season at a very reasonable 5.5M caphit.

There are good arguments on both sides (to keep him or trade him). I'm on the fence.

I think the decision will be easier once we hit the trade deadline. If we are even in the hunt for playoff positioning then I don't see how he is traded. If we are out of the top 10 in the conference then this would be a good time to trade him and possibly other minor vets.

I think ultimately best case is to trade him at the draft as it will be hard to keep Juulsen out of the top 4 in 2019-2020.

2019-2020 projected D:

Mete - Weber
Rielly - Juulsen
Kulak - Fleury

It's not amazing but it helps buildout our future. Potentially we could acquire a D as UFA or by trade.

Reactions: Tuggy

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
The more you love Petry, the more you should want to trade his ass outta here. That's the smart, tough business move. Because the more you love something, the more others are likely to love it, too. It's true that we won't get anyone back who's as good as him. Right now. But we're not looking at 'right now', we're looking ahead two/three years from now, when 33/34 year-old Petry may be slowing down and the Habs ramping up. Two/three years is the target. What's our love gonna' look like by then?

Agree with selling high on aging players like this, although it isn't a practical solution while we are in a playoff race with no immediate replacement. If we are out of it come February, then we can look at moving him (maybe even an off-season trade), IMO.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Why not go all in WITH Petry and go for a cup?

We only need one solid LD and 1 more top 6 player and we can compete for the cup.

Building for a future that may never happen or pass us by again might not be our best option. I would sell what we have in Suzuki, Brook, Poehling, 1st round picks, etc, and get us the 2 pieces we need to try and win the cup in the next 3 years WITH Petry.

Last edited:

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal

We only need one solid LD and 1 more top 6 player and we can compete for the cup.

Building for a future that may never happen or pass us by again might not be our best option. I would sell what we have in Suzuki, Brook, Poehling, 1st round picks, etc, and get us the 2 pieces we need to try and win the cup in the next 3 years WITH Petry.

Habs are not close to a cup at all. First of all they need a 1C, then they need two top 4 LHD and they need to get bigger and more skilled on the wings and finally they need a goalie for the playoffs because Price can’t get it done.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He did produce 42 points last year which puts him in the top 25 D for point production. I think that's a fairly good sample size to say he is a top2/4 offense oriented D.

If you combine both seasons , he is at 21st in the NHL for points produced by D...Not too shabby!

He's no. 8 this year. Tied with Kris Letang and right ahead of Roman Josi, Dustin Byfuglien, Matt Dumba, Tyson Barrie, Ryan McDonagh, Erik Karlsson, and Mattias Ekholm.

Do you think his trade value is anywhere near as high as those players? It might get closer if he can do this through 60 games.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

But what are you going to give up to get that LD and top 6 player.

If Bergevin were smart, he would have snagged Skinner, Duclair, and Perron in the offseason - enough to get you a LD and have a top 6 forward left.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
But what are you going to give up to get that LD and top 6 player.

If Bergevin were smart, he would have snagged Skinner, Duclair, and Perron in the offseason - enough to get you a LD and have a top 6 forward left.
To be fair to the man except for Skinner there were big question marks with those players. And even Skinner had a beware tag on him with his concussion problems.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
To be fair to the man except for Skinner there were big question marks with those players. And even Skinner had a beware tag on him with his concussion problems.

I was heavily in favor of them all during the summer - not just in hind sight. The question marks are the reasons they were available at the prices they were. Duclair wasn't a risk at all because if you put him in the minors there's no cap hit. Perron has a long track record of being successful - and fetching good returns in trades - but after 1 playoff his value plummeted from the 67 point player heading into the playoffs. That's just way too short sighted thinking. Same with Skinner - one mediocre season on a bad team and his lottery pedigree and past production are forgotten about. The odds of him succeeding were much higher than those of a 2nd round pick. All were no brainers imo.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I'd be cool with keeping Petry because I really like the player. It's possible he'll be great into his mid-30s. But... if we're playing the odds, there's a greater likelihood that a 2019 top prospect will have a stronger impact in three years than 34 year old Petry. No guarantees, of course. We're speculating on stocks.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

you fell in the trap, take our hand brother

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
you fell in the trap, take our hand brother

If people think we are 1 LD and 1 FWD away from being a cup contender....

de·lu·sion
/dəˈlo͞oZHən/
noun
  1. an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder.
    "the delusion of being watched"
    synonyms:misapprehension, misconception, misunderstanding, mistake, error, misinterpretation, misco
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
If people think we are 1 LD and 1 FWD away from being a cup contender....

de·lu·sion
/dəˈlo͞oZHən/
noun
  1. an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder.
    "the delusion of being watched"
    synonyms:misapprehension, misconception, misunderstanding, mistake, error, misinterpretation, misco
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

I mean it's pretty typical and "normal" I guess? That's what is so hard about rebuilding : differentiating having a team that's ready to go for it, and having a team that is just progressing

we're ABSOLUTELY not there no matter how decent we look right now

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I'd be cool with keeping Petry because I really like the player. It's possible he'll be great into his mid-30s. But... if we're playing the odds, there's a greater likelihood that a 2019 top prospect will have a stronger impact in three years than 34 year old Petry. No guarantees, of course. We're speculating on stocks.
I donno, it seems like Petry is getting better and better. I think we can win a cup with Price/Weber/Petry, and we need to do everything possible to get it done. With the addition of Kotka and Domi emerging at center, I don’t see a need to piss away the Weber/Price era for some “maybe this maybe that”prospects. We draft new prospects every year, we have enough young players with the team we currently have. We don’t need any more rookies.

Trade the whole farm and all the picks necessary to get us a LD and a top 6 forward. That’s my strategy, I want to win now, not build some imaginary future that may never bear fruit, while pissing away Weber/Price/Petry

Go Habs Go

f*** a rebuild, f*** tanking, I wanna win hockey games. Anything can happen when you are strong enough in the playoffs.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I donno, it seems like Petry is getting better and better. I think we can win a cup with Price/Weber/Petry, and we need to do everything possible to get it done. With the addition of Kotka and Domi emerging at center, I don’t see a need to piss away the Weber/Price era for some “maybe this maybe that”prospects. We draft new prospects every year, we have enough young players with the team we currently have. We don’t need any more rookies.

Trade the whole farm and all the picks necessary to get us a LD and a top 6 forward. That’s my strategy, I want to win now, not build some imaginary future that may never bear fruit, while pissing away Weber/Price/Petry

Go Habs Go

**** a rebuild, **** tanking, I wanna win hockey games. Anything can happen when you are strong enough in the playoffs.
I feel exactly like you do when I'm watching the games. All I want is a win. Don't give a damn how. Go Habs ****in' GO! That's my heart talking. But my brain looks at the entire season and the rosters of the top teams and whispers, "Dude, seriously? You've gotta do some work".

And yes, my brain calls me "Dude".

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I feel exactly like you do when I'm watching the games. All I want is a win. Don't give a damn how. Go Habs ****in' GO! That's my heart talking. But my brain looks at the entire season and the rosters of the top teams and whispers, "Dude, seriously? You've gotta do some work".

And yes, my brain calls me "Dude".
Lol.

You know as well as I do what Bergevin is planning for this team. He’s going to make moves to improve the team, he ain’t selling Petry, he wants to win a cup before his contract is up. A “Rebuild” will never happen. It’s not even a thought for them. They are running a real hockey team with real humans, they aren’t putting together imaginary lines and deals like we are.

Hey Gally, sorry but we’re gonna trade Price and Weber away, we’re not going for a cup anymore, we rather piss away your prime now like we did Price’s so we can “rebuild”.
Are you ok with that Gally?

Real team, real humans, real relationships.
Not PlayStation.

The Habs players want to win a cup, they don’t care that some of the fans want to scrap it all to build for the “future”.
This is real life.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Lol.

You know as well as I do what Bergevin is planning for this team. He’s going to make moves to improve the team, he ain’t selling Petry, he wants to win a cup before his contract is up. A “Rebuild” will never happen. It’s not even a thought for them. They are running a real hockey team with real humans, they aren’t putting together imaginary lines and deals like we are.

Hey Gally, sorry but we’re gonna trade Price and Weber away, we’re not going for a cup anymore, we rather piss away your prime now like we did Price’s so we can “rebuild”.
Are you ok with that Gally?

Real team, real humans, real relationships.
Not PlayStation.

The Habs players want to win a cup, they don’t care that some of the fans want to scrap it all to build for the “future”.
This is real life.
If I had to bet, I'll say he won't trade Petry. But he also won't be a trade-deadline buyer, at least not if it means trading away picks & prospects. He'd be burned in effigy if he traded another pick -- I can't believe he'd do that. But I also think he lacks the balls to sell vets and aggressively position himself for the draft. So basically, I'm guessing Bergevin will passively let the deadline pass without sacrificing or adding anything.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Agree with selling high on aging players like this, although it isn't a practical solution while we are in a playoff race with no immediate replacement. If we are out of it come February, then we can look at moving him (maybe even an off-season trade), IMO.

I don't think you can look at it as in the playoff race or not. It's more a question of whether you think you can make a strong run in the playoffs or not. If the expectation is that we squeak into the playoffs and get bounced in the first round then I would rather trade him and get something that can really help us down the road.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
If I had to bet, I'll say he won't trade Petry. But he also won't be a trade-deadline buyer, at least not if it means trading away picks & prospects. He'd be burned in effigy if he traded another pick -- I can't believe he'd do that. But I also think he lacks the balls to sell vets and aggressively position himself for the draft. So basically, I'm guessing Bergevin will passively let the deadline pass without sacrificing or adding anything.
The deadline is not a good time to make trades. Unless the player is willing to stay with us long term.

Suzuki is a toss up, Brook is a RD, and Poehling is probably a 3rd line center. Trade trade trade.

We just got our “Future big 1st line C”
What the f*** is a 2019 draft pick gonna do for this team? Nothing. We will just keep drafting and being stagnant and piss away Gallagher’s career as well, just like we will do Price, Webber’s and Petry’s.

It’s stupid to be in the middle, and that’s where holding on to those 3 prospects will keep us. Right in the middle, developing talent while pissing away the talent we already have. We’ll just keep the hamster wheel turning and never get anywhere.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I don't think there's a rush to trade him, he's making genuine improvements to his game. He used to be more error prone but has really stabilized his play, and has improved his offensive timing. D development curve can take longer and quick physical decline isn't usually an issue. We only have 2 legit D-men and he would be very difficult to replace. Unless there is some crazy good offer to Bergevin, keep Petry.

There shouldn't even be a discussion on moving him until Juulsen proves he can be a top 4 dman or Brook proves he can be a top 4 defenseman.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I don't think you can look at it as in the playoff race or not. It's more a question of whether you think you can make a strong run in the playoffs or not. If the expectation is that we squeak into the playoffs and get bounced in the first round then I would rather trade him and get something that can really help us down the road.
Anything can happen in the playoffs! If Price decides to go into Superman mode we can win a cup if we add a couple pieces.

Just f***ing shoot me if we’re going to “tank/rebuild/“, how depressing, maybe in 5-10 years right boys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad