Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
And with Petry what will happen ?

Also why are we not in PO's ?
This team has been in the PO's for the whole year and we had Juulsen as the 2nd pair D. Do you think Petry is better than Weber ?

Petry
Juulsen

Was good enough to make the PO's.

Weber
Juulsen

Don't you think that this is good enough for the PO's ?

At the end it was time that Weber came back and this way before Juulsen got injured. Nobody in this defense can take the 23 minutes Petry is playing

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
At the end it was time that Weber came back and this way before Juulsen got injured. Nobody in this defense can take the 23 minutes Petry is playing
Weber can't take the 23 minutes Petry is playing ?

Juulsen had fantastic defnsive numbers before going down with his injuries, it was not "time" he was just as effective.

Petry is the one that slowed down and that couldn't handle the load, so many P-3try moments.

Weber played 29 minutes yesterday, and he looked like he was 25.

Since Webs came back from injury, Petry plays on average 20 minutes a night.

Juulsen played 18 minutes a night.

Petry plays 2 minutes a night on the PP.

Now bear with me, I know you're confused.

Is it that huge of a task for Juulsen to STILL play 18 minutes a night, while Weber is playing his 23 minutes ? Petry and Juulsen play EXACTLY the same time if you take out the PP.

Now Petry is playing 2nd PP, a spot than can be filled easily by Rielly.

This is the kind of thinking that gets you return on investment.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
In a perfect world were not wasting Juulsen on the 3rd pair and were playing him on the 2nd pair behind Weber.
I think it's fine for now but trading Petry should be in the plans for this team in the near future. He's been a very good player for us but it just makes too much sense given we have Brook and Juulsen on the right side and at least one is going to be a top 4.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
ONLY chance Petry gets traded this season is if the Habs crash really hard and are FAAAAAR away from a playoff spot at TDL.

everyone predicted a miserable season to the Habs, they're in a PO spot right now, smells like redemption time for big Marc.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Juulsen dosen't have 1 complete season in the NHL playing 16-18 minutes is perfect ! If Weber injured himself, Juulsen became the 1st d ! You really want this to happen ?
If Weber is injured, were not making the PO's, as you just stated. You gotta choose which leg you want to stand on, Vachon.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I was surprised to see him with more points than #1 D like Karlsson, Suter, Doughty, Hedman, Ekman-Larsson, Subban, Jones. That’s some elite company right here...

He’s got more points than any defensemen playing for the mighty Nashville Predators. (Tied with Josi)

He’s done good for himself imo

He's in the league of Yandles, Mike Green's and others like that. Solid guys who put up points but are not no. 1 D.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Petry's next contract is a trap contract. He's UFA at the age of 33. If you can extend him for 5 years (if you are lucky), you get him form 33-37. Do you think Petry is able to maintain this level of play till age 37? Were talking about a guy who is going to want to get paid too.

Lets look at the major points to consider:
- Habs won't be cup contenders year after year for a bit yet. Certainly not in the window with Petry's current contract
- Petry from age 31-33 at $5.5M is solid value. We can keep him to help our "make the playoffs where anything can happen" strategy
- What does Petry ask for as a 33 year old UFA? Term and AAV?
- Who else needs new contracts moving forward from now till when Petry is 33? Gallagher, Tatar, Domi, Lehkonen, Juulsen, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Brook, Mete.
- How does the depth look at RD? Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury.

Yeah, I get the current hope but our ability to improve our team is either to keep drafting and let the young kids develop or to go after improvements through trades and UFA signings? It's a critical path we are on at the moment. A nice hair cut would be smart. Trim off parts we can get returns for and let the hair grow again. Not talking about shaving all the hair off either. lol

That’s fine, that’s why you do your homework. How much, how long, does he even want to stay? What are other teams willing to give for him.

But

I don’t believe in throwing rookies to the wolves. In my opinion, a good d with experience is vital in rebuilding a team and believe Petry and Weber is a very good foundation on the back end, guys that can chew minutes against opposing team’s best

Reactions: Victorius

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Weber can't take the 23 minutes Petry is playing ?

Juulsen had fantastic defnsive numbers before going down with his injuries, it was not "time" he was just as effective.

Petry is the one that slowed down and that couldn't handle the load, so many P-3try moments.

Weber played 29 minutes yesterday, and he looked like he was 25.

Since Webs came back from injury, Petry plays on average 20 minutes a night.

Juulsen played 18 minutes a night.

Petry plays 2 minutes a night on the PP.

Now bear with me, I know you're confused.

Is it that huge of a task for Juulsen to STILL play 18 minutes a night, while Weber is playing his 23 minutes ? Petry and Juulsen play EXACTLY the same time if you take out the PP.

Now Petry is playing 2nd PP, a spot than can be filled easily by Rielly.

This is the kind of thinking that gets you return on investment.
Petry has 4 points in 6 games and is a +4 since since Weber came back. He hasn't slowed down. Juulsen has ways to go before we can safely pencil him in the top 4. I agree that trading Petry should be an option, but it has to be a GREAT return. If all we get is a lousy late 1st and a meh prospect, I'd rather just hold onto him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That’s fine, that’s why you do your homework. How much, how long, does he even want to stay? What are other teams willing to give for him.

But

I don’t believe in throwing rookies to the wolves. In my opinion, a good d with experience is vital in rebuilding a team and believe Petry and Weber is a very good foundation on the back end, guys that can chew minutes against opposing team’s best

Juulsen, Brook, Fleury. At least two of them will be pushing Petry out of the line-up on the RD side. Why not allow Petry to win with another team while the Habs get futures for him in the rebuild on the fly plan?

If Petry can play LD and play as well as he does at RD, then that changes things for me.

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
Juulsen, Brook, Fleury. At least two of them will be pushing Petry out of the line-up on the RD side.

I like all three of those prospects, but if even one of them is as good as Petry that'll be a huge success. Defensemen who can play big minutes in all situations and put up 40+ points are extremely rare, and valuable. Petry is not perfect but he's also quite underrated around here, we shouldn't get rid of him lightly.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like all three of those prospects, but if even one of them is as good as Petry that'll be a huge success. Defensemen who can play big minutes in all situations and put up 40+ points are extremely rare, and valuable. Petry is not perfect but he's also quite underrated around here, we shouldn't get rid of him lightly.

I don't underrate Petry and I agree with you in terms of his value and how good he is. I'm also not just going to trade him for some small price cause it works for the team interested in him.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
He's definitely been playing quite well the past year. The few mistakes he makes does not outweigh all the good he does. A legit top 4 defenseman, very nice to have. If the team wasn't playing in a playoff position he'd be a fine trade peice but the team has performed better than expected so no reason trading him for uncertain futures right now.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
he's so good at disrupting the zone entry with his long reach

sometimes he over commits to the stick check on that and leaves himself in the lurch but usually catches up to make the play, most times early in the game before his legs to brain transmitter gets woke

his breakouts are way better, and if he doesn't have a pass look he gets on his fast horse and carries it out

500+ games and he's still learning

I get it that he is good trade material but there will be no "decline" during his remaining term, (barring injury) so there is time

and he CAN play left without much drop off

Jul 6, 2016
he's so good at disrupting the zone entry with his long reach

sometimes he over commits to the stick check on that and leaves himself in the lurch but usually catches up to make the play, most times early in the game before his legs to brain transmitter gets woke

his breakouts are way better, and if he doesn't have a pass look he gets on his fast horse and carries it out

500+ games and he's still learning

I get it that he is good trade material but there will be no "decline" during his remaining term, (barring injury) so there is time

and he CAN play left without much drop off

Really ? If so, CJ should just put him with Weber asap.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I thought I heard he couldn't play left.

P3 is playing phenomenally. I always really liked him but he's certainly elevated his game ever since Weber went down. Robbed the Oilers with that gem of a trade.

Please keep him off the PP though.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
They put him on the left side with Weber in the last few minutes of the game, but other than that he was on the right side

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
9th in the NHL scoring D right now

Haven't checked that in a while. It's impressive. He really has taken off in the last two seasons where he was a typical 20-30 pts guy prior. People talking about Brodin... Well Brodin is what Petry was 2 years ago.

On pace for 58 pts. I doubt he gets that in the end but would be a nice to see. Petry has game and if you are picky, what is his weakness? I don't see any. Maybe he should be more nasty like Weber is in his own end?

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
With Brook turning pro next year, the smart move for MB is to trade Weber and keep Petry. Petry is younger and much faster. Weber will get you Hague, a 1st and more from Vegas. No chance MB does it though. Weber will be 36 or 37 when this team is ready to compete again for the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad