Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Not sure what problem having Petry on the left side solves. Is it just so that Juulsen can play on the top 4? Personally, I think he's fine learning the ropes on the 3rd pair for now.

Reilly and Mete should be the top 2 LDs. After that we have a revolving doors of outcasts that can jump in on the third pair. Ouellet and Schlemko are fine. I'd try to move Benn and Alzner sooner than later. They bring nothing to this team.
Well I mean Weber, Petry and Juulsen are our top 3 dmen and then it drops off after that. Playing Petry with Weber, or at least trying, makes sense to me.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Well I mean Weber, Petry and Juulsen are our top 3 dmen and then it drops off after that. Playing Petry with Weber, or at least trying, makes sense to me.

I don't think Juulsen is better than either Mete or Reilly... Most definitely not better than Reilly at least.

In any case, if he can be a stabilizing presence on a 3rd pair, even better for us.

Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why Ouellet on the 2nd pair and Reilly on the 3rd? Just roll

Mete/Reilly - Weber
Reilly/Mete - Petry
Schlemko/Ouellet - Juulsen

Problem solved

I would not be too upset with it. But a few points...

1) I prefer a stronger top 4D vs spreading the talent in 3 pairings
2) I prefer only having one of Mete or Reilly in my top 4D.
3) Juulsen is too good to be playing 3rd pairing

We need more shutdown ability. Big guys that can skate and not be out muscled in our own end. I rather roll 4D with the last pairing playing less minutes.

Reactions: The Great Schlemko

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't think Juulsen is better than either Mete or Reilly... Most definitely not better than Reilly at least.

In any case, if he can be a stabilizing presence on a 3rd pair, even better for us.
I strongly disagree. The only thing Mete has compared to Juulsen is skating. Juulsen is much better defensively and offensively. Mete has really struggled this year. Reilly is our 4th best dman imo

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I would not be too upset with it. But a few points...

1) I prefer a stronger top 4D vs spreading the talent in 3 pairings
2) I prefer only having one of Mete or Reilly in my top 4D.
3) Juulsen is too good to be playing 3rd pairing

We need more shutdown ability. Big guys that can skate and not be out muscled in our own end. I rater roll 4D with the last pairing playing less minutes.

Why having only one of Reilly or Mete on your top 4? I don't get the rationale behind that statement.

Juulsen is a rookie and I don't feel like he's too good for any role. Third pair minutes + PK is good enough for me, at this stage.

I don't agree that having Juulsen on a 3rd pair equals spreading talent around. I really don't see how he's that much more better than Reilly or Mete. It's a non issue to me, so I don't really see the point of moving Petry to his off-side considering how well he has been playing so far on his strong side.

Reactions: angry pirate

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I strongly disagree. The only thing Mete has compared to Juulsen is skating. Juulsen is much better defensively and offensively. Mete has really struggled this year. Reilly is our 4th best dman imo

Skating and puck moving is half the battle in the modern NHL, and Mete does those things extremely well.

I think he could benefit from playing with a guy like Weber. They have complimentary skill sets.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Skating and puck moving is half the battle in the modern NHL, and Mete does those things extremely well.

I think he could benefit from playing with a guy like Weber. They have complimentary skill sets.
All Mete does is skate. Probably our worst dman offensively and is very inconsistent defensively. Juulsen is better in both categories, and even then, Juulsen isnt a poor skater.

I'd rather have Reilly with Weber and Petry with Juulsen. Weber makes all his partners look better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

What do you value more?

1) Guys like Reilly and Mete who have some offensive ability and very good skating. But are below average in their own end.
2) Guys like Juulsen who has shutdown ability and some offensive skill in terms of a good shot from the point and making smart passes in transition.

Juulsen may not be as fast as a skater as Mete/Reilly but this kid is very good. I think you are overlooking his defensive skills and how he is going to help us limit the scoring chances against Price. Price played like god again last night but allowed 5 goals. We are not winning games like this when it counts.... even if we can score 5/5. We need a better D

Juulsen >> Mete or Reilly

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
What do you value more?

1) Guys like Reilly and Mete who have some offensive ability and very good skating. But are below average in their own end.
2) Guys like Juulsen who has shutdown ability and some offensive skill.

Juulsen may not be as fast as a skater as Mete/Reilly but this kid is very good. I think you are overlooking his defensive skills and how he is going to help us limit the scoring chances against Price. Price played like god again last night but allowed 5 goals. We are not winning games like this when it counts.... even if we can score 5/5. We need a better D

I'm not disregarding any of the things Juulsen does well. I just don't see the issue with him carrying his own pairing in a lesser role as a rookie. He'll get nigh 20 minutes a night with some PK time sprinkled in anyway. He can be a stabilizing presence on the third pair.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not disregarding any of the things Juulsen does well. I just don't see the issue with him carrying his own pairing in a lesser role as a rookie. He'll get nigh 20 minutes a night with some PK time sprinkled in anyway. He can be a stabilizing presence on the third pair.

Depends on what direction you want the Habs to take?

1) Make the playoffs
2) Allow the kids to play and learn on the job while they make mistakes.

If we are going to try to make the playoffs and go past the 1st round, we need a better top 4D. It's a big weakness. The answer to what we should do depends on what direction you prefer. If we want to ice the best team to try to win, moving Petry to the left side (When Weber comes back) and having Petry, Weber, Juulsen all playing top 4D is something we should experiment with. I value shut down ability and how this helps out Price

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Depends on what direction you want the Habs to take?

1) Make the playoffs
2) Allow the kids to play and learn on the job while they make mistakes.

If we are going to try to make the playoffs and go past the 1st round, we need a better top 4D. It's a big weakness. The answer to what we should do depends on what direction you prefer. If we want to ice the best team to try to win, moving Petry to the left side (When Weber comes back) and having Petry, Weber, Juulsen all playing top 4D is something we should experiment with. I value shut down ability and how this helps out Price

Implying Juulsen won't learn on the job from the third pair?

And in that case it's either Mete or Reilly that finds himself on the third pair and thus won't be able to learn on the job?

I can't answer your question because I think your premise is inherently flawed. Just like valuing shut down ability to help out Price. Juulsen's shut down ability wouldn't go to waste just because he's on the third pair.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
All Mete does is skate. Probably our worst dman offensively and is very inconsistent defensively. Juulsen is better in both categories, and even then, Juulsen isnt a poor skater.

I'd rather have Reilly with Weber and Petry with Juulsen. Weber makes all his partners look better.

Mete is a great transition D though, better than Juulsen. And while has struggled offensively, he's not exactly far off at ES from Reilly or Juulsen. We're not talking a large sample here, one game can flip things the other way.

I think Julien is waiting for Weber to come back to give Mete a shot with him (Weber covers Mete's lack of a heavy shot, physical play and lets him sneak into the offensive zone more, Mete helps Weber in transition). And lefty-righty pairs are just more effective. And the gap between Juulsen and Mete isn't massive.

Mete-Weber
Reilly-Petry
Schlemko/Benn/Alzner/Ouellet-Juulsen

could work. Its at least worth a try

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Where there is a popular approach and then there is a ranking that reviews actual production. Sportsnet's article was not saying Petry was the 13th best defenseman undisputedly. They reviewed 3 years of production and that's where he fell. Fast forward to this season and Petry is 7th in NHL scoring at the moment.

Most people would not have Petry as a top pairing defenseman but he has produced in this role. What does this tell you? Do you ignore it? The point here is Petry is better than most are willing to admit.

I've been a fan since Bergevin found him at a bargain bin price at the deadline. And, the emphasis on skating in the NHL suites his game even more. He's a luxury to have on a second pair.

This is just a footnote, but I don't know why all of a sudden he can't hit the net on the PP or properly play a 2 on1 in the defensive zone (he always takes the shooter, doesn't cover the passing lane, and the result is a tap in. I love him, but even as a Petry supporter it's starting to get maddening to see the same basic plays being flubbed consistently. But like I said, this is just a footnote. I really hope he can start to hit the net on the pp and use his one timer.

Chris Chelios

Feb 11, 2006
I've been a fan since Bergevin found him at a bargain bin price at the deadline. And, the emphasis on skating in the NHL suites his game even more. He's a luxury to have on a second pair.

This is just a footnote, but I don't know why all of a sudden he can't hit the net on the PP or properly play a 2 on1 in the defensive zone (he always takes the shooter, doesn't cover the passing lane, and the result is a tap in. I love him, but even as a Petry supporter it's starting to get maddening to see the same basic plays being flubbed consistently. But like I said, this is just a footnote. I really hope he can start to hit the net on the pp and use his one timer.

Its very annoying ..

Still don’t understand the need of trading him ... hes signed on a very good contract , playing well and we dont have any young player good enough to replace him ...

We are retooling not tanking , theres no point to create a big hole on an already so so defense.

The tanking mentality just doesnt work , ask the oilers / sabres fans . We need a winning culture to develop our youngsters

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

He's an extremely inconsistent player. But his good skating means he's suited for present day hockey. Once the league finishes that adjustment, as we see with even replacement-level production but good skaters like Mete playing in the NHL, Petry's value will decrease but that's a little while away.

Its very annoying ..

Still don’t understand the need of trading him ... hes signed on a very good contract , playing well and we dont have any young player good enough to replace him ...

We are retooling not tanking , theres no point to create a big hole on an already so so defense.

The tanking mentality just doesnt work , ask the oilers / sabres fans . We need a winning culture to develop our youngsters
I agree that a winning culture is good but the idea is to sign or develop a Petry replacement and sell him when his value is high. I kinda want the wheels to fall off this season so the Habs sell off Byron, Petry, etc. Because there is no way they are winning even the first round with this defense as it is and I don't want to spend assets acquiring d-men.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's an extremely inconsistent player. But his good skating means he's suited for present day hockey. Once the league finishes that adjustment, as we see with even replacement-level production but good skaters like Mete playing in the NHL, Petry's value will decrease but that's a little while away.

I agree that a winning culture is good but the idea is to sign or develop a Petry replacement and sell him when his value is high. I kinda want the wheels to fall off this season so the Habs sell off Byron, Petry, etc. Because there is no way they are winning even the first round with this defense as it is and I don't want to spend assets acquiring d-men.

I don't think the wheels fall off unless there are injuries. Right now we're a good, well balanced team when healthy. But because we don't have high end talent aside from Domi and Gallagher, and perhaps Price, we need everyone to be healthy. Right now, Weber, Byron, and Armia are huge losses, because we need the depth throughout the lineup - and add to that Juulsen. It will be hard for us to be high above 500 without them.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Mete is a great transition D though, better than Juulsen. And while has struggled offensively, he's not exactly far off at ES from Reilly or Juulsen. We're not talking a large sample here, one game can flip things the other way.

I think Julien is waiting for Weber to come back to give Mete a shot with him (Weber covers Mete's lack of a heavy shot, physical play and lets him sneak into the offensive zone more, Mete helps Weber in transition). And lefty-righty pairs are just more effective. And the gap between Juulsen and Mete isn't massive.

Mete-Weber
Reilly-Petry
Schlemko/Benn/Alzner/Ouellet-Juulsen

could work. Its at least worth a try
The way they've been using Mete this year so far, there's no chance he plays with Weber. He's averaging 15 minutes a game... It's going to be Reilly.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I don't think the wheels fall off unless there are injuries. Right now we're a good, well balanced team when healthy. But because we don't have high end talent aside from Domi and Gallagher, and perhaps Price, we need everyone to be healthy. Right now, Weber, Byron, and Armia are huge losses, because we need the depth throughout the lineup - and add to that Juulsen. It will be hard for us to be high above 500 without them.
This defense is clearly not balanced or good even with a healthy Weber. And every team suffers injuries to bottom6 players, how can you call that a huge loss?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think Petry has more to give from game to game. The potential for him to be better than what he is showing is there. I'd like to see a more selfish Petry.. just a bit more. He has the ability to raise his game and his current game is pretty good.

If he is comfortable with moving to the LD side (once we have a healthy roster), I think our top 4D becomes very strong. Just depends who we play with Weber. At the moment, I think Either Reilly or Mete fit but I only have one of them in my line-up.

Reilly / Weber
Petry / Juulsen
Quellet / Schlemko

Mete, Benn

As far as missing the net, I think our PP is a mess! They lack killer mentality and are a pass happy team. Way to predictable. Even if Petry misses the net, I would like to see him to keep blasting it. He has a great shot and we don't have many shooter happy players besides Gallagher.

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I hate him on PP, but he play very well so far this season. He is no doubt a very good top 3 defenseman.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Petry with 20 points in 29 games. He will be in demand before the trade deadline. What to do....

Jul 6, 2016
Just an idea (maybe a bad one, but...)

Why not try Petry on the left side with Weber ? I know that RH D-men have a hard time adapting to the left side, but IF Petry could do it, we would have one of the 10 best D-men combo in the league. Juulsen is good enough to play second pairing on right side, and Benn can stay on the bottom pairing right side. + We have Brooks and Fleury coming up in the pipeline for the right side.

GSP2018

Nov 20, 2018

Juulsen is miles ahead of both those two defensively speaking and is stronger and smarter.

Juulsen will have a longer NHL career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad