Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's the best D on the Habs currently. He is not great defensively. It tells wonders on how bad the defense is. Without him, this team would be last.

For some of you suggesting to trade Pertry for a young LD prospect, that would be a very bad mistake for now at least.

Anybody who wanted to trade Petry either assumed we wouldn't be capable of being in the playoff race or didn't want us to, thinking it's better to get a lottery pick.

It was always about the future and not being the best we can be now.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Anybody who wanted to trade Petry either assumed we wouldn't be capable of being in the playoff race or didn't want us to, thinking it's better to get a lottery pick.

It's a matter of selling high and managing your assets to eventually win a cup (or at least reach the scf and give a good fight). Nothing to do with tanking. If you want to do the playoffs and exit them in the 1st or 2nd round keep Petry. If you want to win a bigger trophy in the next 5 years then sell him. By the time this team will be ready he'll be too old and his value is as high as it will ever be. His value can only go down from here.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It's a matter of selling high and managing your assets to eventually win a cup (or at least reach the scf and give a good fight). Nothing to do with tanking. If you want to do the playoffs and exit them in the 1st or 2nd round keep Petry. If you want to win a bigger trophy in the next 5 years then sell him. By the time this team will be ready he'll be too old and his value is as high as it will ever be. His value can only go down from here.

Dead on.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

You just said "it has nothing to with tanking." And then in the next sentence "if you want to do the playoffs and exit the 1st or 2nd round keep him."

I don't know what semantics you're talking about, but the point is clear - trading him is bad for the present, but good for the future. It's good for the future for 2 reasons: 1) as you said the young assets will help us when we're ready to win. 2) it makes us worse now and gives us a better draft pick. To ignore the 2nd part is just flat out dishonest.

Anyways, I don't see Bergevin doing anything to weaken our team in the short-term, unless we're not in the playoff picture at the deadline. Even then I'll have to try to assess his perspective from his comments/body language. But I think it's pretty clear he wants to make the playoffs this year, and wouldn't trade Petry form a suspect dcore.

I'm in favor of trading Petry and building for the future. Not now, because I don't think his value has peaked. He has a certain reputation going back to when he was available for a 2nd when we acquired him. If he's top 10 in the NHL in points by dmen at the deadline, after not such a short sample, then I think his value will be high. Not sure I want a late 1st for him though. I want a real good prospect or a potential lottery pick, perhaps a 1st from a team that's on the bubble when it comes to making the playoffs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I’d still trade Petry if the return was right and reinforced our future on top of what we already have

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.

Ridiculous. Nobody does this unless their team is clearly tanking for several years or the player is an upcoming UFA.

I'll say it again like in the Tatar thread:

Hey here's an idea. Let's trade every good player we have for picks who have a 10% chance of being as good as them in five years. That's the way to build a contender amiright?

Reactions: Vachon23 and Deebs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ridiculous. Nobody does this unless their team is clearly tanking for several years or the player is an upcoming UFA.

Hey here's an idea. Let's trade every good player we have for picks who have a 10% chance of being as good as them in five years. That's the way to build a contender amiright?

We won’t be just trading him for picks. The return should be for picks and prospects like Suzuki.

Takes vision and guts to make a move like this for sure. But the key here is we are stacked at RD and we should be focusing on the Price/Weber/Gallagher and under core

Trade from a position of strength to address holes in the youth core. That’s why there is Petry trade talks.

But yes, it’s likely not going to happen. Bergevin needs to be willing to make this move and it’s not easy to pry out another Patch type return from another team

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Great teams do it, mediocre and bad ones hold on to this type of player.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I love Jeff Petry (brain farts and all), and it would really suck to trade him. But I guess we have to think long term for this team and depending on the situation, would be open to trading him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Currently ranked 9th in pts for defenseman. Seems like the sportsnet article ranking him 13th over the last 3 years is not far off after all?

Definitive ranking of NHL’s top 20 defencemen over three seasons - Sportsnet.ca

Any self-titled "Definitive" ranking is sketchy to begin with. Then when you see it gives #13 Jeff Petry a slighly lower score than #14 Hedman, you know it's analytics at its worst - using a bunch of stats/numbers and making "definitive" conclusions from them.

Would you take Petry's play over the last 3 years over Werenski, Byfuglien, Ekholm, McDonagh, Gotisbehere, etc..
Also Mike Green is listed as 40th, only slightly behind #38 McDonagh, when in reality there's a football field's distance between them.

And no way we get a package for Petry similar to what Tampa got for rental McDonagh. But hopefully Petry will be in the top 10 in points at the deadline and more articles like this will keep coming out. And I'll add, hopefully he can learn to hit the net on the power play and to properly play a 2 on 1 in the defensive zone - as in not weakly going for the puck carrier and not blocking off the passing lane for an easy tap in.

Reactions: groovejuice

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He would fetch a nice player or pick, I'm certain of it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Which team did it ? Chicago didn't do that, LA and Pittsburgh either ?
Chicago didn't do that ? What happened with Byfuglien, Saad, Sharp, Niemi, Hjalmarsson....
The kings traded Gaborik and Jones, but mishandled a few of their guys, and now look at them.
Pittsburgh let go of Fleury, Goligoski, Neal, Perron...

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Chicago didn't do that ? What happened with Byfuglien, Saad, Sharp, Niemi, Hjalmarsson....
The kings traded Gaborik and Jones, but mishandled a few of their guys, and now look at them.

That's because of the salary cap and Hjarmarlsson is still with the Hawks !

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
He just makes the whole power play purr, lol. He's a risky player who wins alot of his battles. You gotta take the bad with good.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

They did so because of cap troubles, when has a playoff team ever traded their #2D? I'd think St. Louis trading Shattenkirk is the only one I can remember, but that was because they were worried he'd walk in FA

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Which team did it ? Chicago didn't do that, LA and Pittsburgh either ?

Are you being seroius here? You are talking about cup contender. Of course they wont sell.

What about Boston? They sold Lulu high. Chicago sold almost the entire team in 2004 and 2005 for a bunch of picks prior to drafting Toews and Kane. Byckell and Hjarmalsson were drafted with those picks and a young Sharp was acquired.

There's many example of teams selling when it's time to sell. I'll tell you right now not selling our vets will be a mistake and hopefully the last one MB will do. We are not ready to contend and we need more picks/prospects

Last edited:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I love Jeff Petry (brain farts and all), and it would really suck to trade him. But I guess we have to think long term for this team and depending on the situation, would be open to trading him.
This team does not think long term, the Binman is thinking about saving his own ass. Unfortunately he is winning right now, but long term it is not in the interest of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad