Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Chelios

Feb 11, 2006
Unless we can get a very very good young dman ( cery unlikly ) id say keep him.. hes playing great lately and we need some good players to build the team around and we will need some vets .. exaclty like tatar

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
It's a matter of selling high and managing your assets to eventually win a cup (or at least reach the scf and give a good fight). Nothing to do with tanking. If you want to do the playoffs and exit them in the 1st or 2nd round keep Petry. If you want to win a bigger trophy in the next 5 years then sell him. By the time this team will be ready he'll be too old and his value is as high as it will ever be. His value can only go down from here.
your post makes too much sense.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Anyone else think we try him on the left side to play with Weber? At least for a few games to see how he does.

I always wanted to see this. Apparently it was done once during preseason and Petry didn't like it. I'd actually prefer Weber on the left so he could uncork his one-timer all night, not just on the pp.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's no reason to trade a player if the return is not high. But if a team offer a 1st and an interesting prospect for Petry then you have to move him imo.

It comes down to what strategy you prefer vs you vs Bergevin.

My strategy? I'm not desperate to trade Petry but I would be engaging in trade value for him. Why? Cause we have a team that is in transition to youth and we have a position of strength... RD. Would I trade him for cheap? Hell no!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Any self-titled "Definitive" ranking is sketchy to begin with. Then when you see it gives #13 Jeff Petry a slighly lower score than #14 Hedman, you know it's analytics at its worst - using a bunch of stats/numbers and making "definitive" conclusions from them.

Would you take Petry's play over the last 3 years over Werenski, Byfuglien, Ekholm, McDonagh, Gotisbehere, etc..
Also Mike Green is listed as 40th, only slightly behind #38 McDonagh, when in reality there's a football field's distance between them.

And no way we get a package for Petry similar to what Tampa got for rental McDonagh. But hopefully Petry will be in the top 10 in points at the deadline and more articles like this will keep coming out. And I'll add, hopefully he can learn to hit the net on the power play and to properly play a 2 on 1 in the defensive zone - as in not weakly going for the puck carrier and not blocking off the passing lane for an easy tap in.

Where there is a popular approach and then there is a ranking that reviews actual production. Sportsnet's article was not saying Petry was the 13th best defenseman undisputedly. They reviewed 3 years of production and that's where he fell. Fast forward to this season and Petry is 7th in NHL scoring at the moment.

Most people would not have Petry as a top pairing defenseman but he has produced in this role. What does this tell you? Do you ignore it? The point here is Petry is better than most are willing to admit.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'm not against the idea of moving Petry assuming we can get a similar kind of return to what we had for Pacioretty.

If all we can get is a low 1st round pick? Might as well keep him.

It's not realistic to consider moving him anyway considering the sort of predicament Bergevin finds himself in. He needs to make the playoffs to salvage his job, and trading Petry wouldn't help in that regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaP

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Theres no way he would get less than a 1st+good prospect at this point. I dont think we trade him because bergevin thinks that we can make the playoffs and defense is already a big issue.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anyone else think we try him on the left side to play with Weber? At least for a few games to see how he does.

I talked about this before. I think it would be smart to move Petry to the Left side. It open up various options for us he can handle it.

AAAA / Weber
Petry / Juulsen
Quellet / Schlemko

Alzner, Mete or Reilly

- AAAA: Can be Mete or Reilly
- Benn should be traded for a 4th or 5th pick. If we don't get bites, send Alzner down to the AHL. Pretty simple if you ask me. We owe Alzner nothing cause he has done nothing for us so far.

Trying Petry on the left side makes logical sense to me.... if he is up for the new role. Pretty sure he would be OK with it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Theres no way he would get less than a 1st+good prospect at this point. I dont think we trade him because bergevin thinks that we can make the playoffs and defense is already a big issue.

- Petry ($1.5M retained)
for
- Sandin
- 2019 1st
- 2020 2nd
- Horton's uninsured contract

Pretty sure this is a workable deal for the Leafs. Petry for 4 more years at $4M would be a steal. I hate helping them out but if we can get a futures return like this, I'm game.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I talked about this before. I think it would be smart to move Petry to the Left side. It open up various options for us he can handle it.

AAAA / Weber
Petry / Juulsen
Quellet / Schlemko

Alzner, Mete or Reilly

- AAAA: Can be Mete or Reilly
- Benn should be traded for a 4th or 5th pick. If we don't get bites, send Alzner down to the AHL. Pretty simple if you ask me. We owe Alzner nothing cause he has done nothing for us so far.

Trying Petry on the left side makes logical sense to me.... if he is up for the new role. Pretty sure he would be OK with it.

Not sure what problem having Petry on the left side solves. Is it just so that Juulsen can play on the top 4? Personally, I think he's fine learning the ropes on the 3rd pair for now.

Reilly and Mete should be the top 2 LDs. After that we have a revolving doors of outcasts that can jump in on the third pair. Ouellet and Schlemko are fine. I'd try to move Benn and Alzner sooner than later. They bring nothing to this team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure what problem having Petry on the left side solves. Is it just so that Juulsen can play on the top 4? Personally, I think he's fine learning the ropes on the 3rd pair for now.

Reilly and Mete should be the top 2 LDs. After that we have a revolving doors of outcasts that can jump in on the third pair. Ouellet and Schlemko are fine. I'd try to move Benn and Alzner sooner than later. They bring nothing to this team.

It solves a problem cause we then would have a better top 4D vs what we have now.

Mete / Weber
Quellet / Petry
Reilly / Juulsen

Benn, Alzner

How much better is it? Not sure but we should try moving Petry on the Left side. I think our top 4D would be better and have more size/mobility. We suck defensevily at the moment. Moving Juulsen to the 3rd pairing after Weber comes back does what for us?

Mete or Reilly / Weber
Petry / Juulsen

Don't care what combo we use on the 3rd pairing from game to game.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
- Petry ($1.5M retained)
for
- Sandin
- 2019 1st
- 2020 2nd
- Horton's uninsured contract

Pretty sure this is a workable deal for the Leafs. Petry for 4 more years at $4M would be a steal. I hate helping them out but if we can get a futures return like this, I'm game.

We could probably get a similar return without the retention and taking on Horton’s contract

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We could probably get a similar return without the retention and taking on Horton’s contract

Hard to say. If we can, I'm all for it. But the offer I showed you is very workable and it sparks interest from the Leafs. I've studied the Leafs cap situation very closely starting next year and there is a reason why I retained. Habs don't need that cap space so we should use it somehow.

This deal works for both teams in more ways than one.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
It solves a problem cause we then would have a better top 4D vs what we have now.

Mete / Weber
Quellet / Petry
Reilly / Juulsen

Benn, Alzner

How much better is it? Not sure but we should try moving Petry on the Left side. I think our top 4D would be better and have more size/mobility. We suck defensevily at the moment. Moving Juulsen to the 3rd pairing after Weber comes back does what for us?

Mete or Reilly / Weber
Petry / Juulsen

Don't care what combo we use on the 3rd pairing from game to game.

Why Ouellet on the 2nd pair and Reilly on the 3rd? Just roll

Mete/Reilly - Weber
Reilly/Mete - Petry
Schlemko/Ouellet - Juulsen

Problem solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad