Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSP2018

Nov 20, 2018
Is it though? If the team is looking like they might miss out on the playoffs and a team offers you a package of a top prospect and first round pick. Do you still refuse that?

They are not looking like they are missing the playoffs as we speak. Finding Petrys is more difficult then you think. Ask the Leafs and Sens

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
They are not looking like they are missing the playoffs as we speak. Finding Petrys is more difficult then you think. Ask the Leafs and Sens

I know right now it looks like they might sneak in, but don't forget that it's a long season and teams contstantly move up and down in the standings. A small losing streak and we can be in the bottom 5 of the conference very easily. We're just talking here. Just a scenario where you can maximize your return is all.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It's worth considering but I'd rather have a better sense of what guys like Brook and Fleury can do. 3 years left on his contract (including this one). Still time I don't think he'll go into free fall any time soon.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's worth considering but I'd rather have a better sense of what guys like Brook and Fleury can do. 3 years left on his contract (including this one). Still time I don't think he'll go into free fall any time soon.

His trade value will be very high if he can put up 50-60 points over a full season. That's his current pace.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His trade value will be very high if he can put up 50-60 points over a full season. That's his current pace.

I will be interesting to see his production with Weber in the line-up. I guess this might also be a reason why some feel we sell high now cause maybe he takes a step back in production due to Weber getting more minutes and #1 PP time?

I doubt management is willing to move Petry in this pride/rebound year. However, many of us fans would listen to offers if the return was right. I wonder if Bergevin would do the same?

I'm very curious to see the D pairings when Juulsen comes back

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It's exactly the plan management is likely thinking about as well.

He'd leave a gaping hole that we're not too sure we can fill yet. It's still early and I guess we could still go either way but my gut's telling me we're not tanking barring any crazy injuries. If we're relatively healthy I think we're a bubble team. We got 3 high end prospects coming (for argument's sake let's include Poehling as high end though it's debatable) next year. We've got a pretty solid young group of guys here. No reason to be too rash and making holes that we'll just have to fill again. We could be in the thick of things sooner than we think.

Reactions: MasterDecoy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He'd leave a gaping hole that we're not too sure we can fill yet. It's still early and I guess we could still go either way but my gut's telling me we're not tanking barring any crazy injuries. If we're relatively healthy I think we're a bubble team. We got 3 high end prospects coming (for argument's sake let's include Poehling as high end though it's debatable) next year. We've got a pretty solid young group of guys here. No reason to be too rash and making holes that we'll just have to fill again. We could be in the thick of things sooner than we think.

Well, it depends on where they slot in Juulsen. How bad does this look to you without Petry but with a 1st, grade A prospect at LD and a future 2nd in the pipeline?

Kulak / Weber
Reilly / Juulsen
Benn / Schlemko

However, the plan is to make the playoffs (clearly) so Petry stays IMO. I'm looking at it from management perspective, not my own

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think that gives you a perfect window for them to develop and eventually establish themselves as viable options....no need to rush that decision right now.

Petry shouldn't be an untouchable - but if a team wants him, let them ante up.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Well, it depends on where they slot in Juulsen. How bad does this look to you without Petry but with a 1st, grade A prospect at LD and a future 2nd in the pipeline?

Kulak / Weber
Reilly / Juulsen
Benn / Schlemko

However, the plan is to make the playoffs (clearly) so Petry stays IMO. I'm looking at it from management perspective, not my own

hmmm...if Petry could get us all that then that's hard to say no. That D's pretty bad. Juulsen's really good and all but our D is pretty bereft of offense as it is. It's a tough call. This is one of those situations where there's a good case for both sides. I wish we could see if any of these RDs can play their off sides at all.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think that gives you a perfect window for them to develop and eventually establish themselves as viable options....no need to rush that decision right now.

Petry shouldn't be an untouchable - but if a team wants him, let them ante up.

yup. right on as usual. If we can get a king's ransom then pull the trigger.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
yup. right on as usual. If we can get a king's ransom then pull the trigger.
I would think you're more likely to get teams willing to overpay when they approach you about a certain player, not when you put him on the market in the middle of a season where you're competitive, he's under contract for 3 more years and he's having a career season.

I'm all for forward-thinking and all...but this would seem a bit premature.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Juulsen definitely has the potential to be a solid second pairing D, but he shouldn't be rushed into that role after having only played 40 games. Keep Petry around another year or so, let Juulsen continue to improve and who knows maybe by then Fleury or Brook might be ready for the third pairing.

Whether we trade Petry now or wait a year, he's still going to bring us a very solid return and with his skating he's not going to regress suddenly like Alzner did the last couple years.

Reactions: Vachon23

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
he's in great shape, very low body fat, barring injury, he will play well past 1000

he is not going to "decline" in his remaining term here

believe me

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Juulsen definitely has the potential to be a solid second pairing D, but he shouldn't be rushed into that role after having only played 40 games. Keep Petry around another year or so, let Juulsen continue to improve and who knows maybe by then Fleury or Brook might be ready for the third pairing.

Whether we trade Petry now or wait a year, he's still going to bring us a very solid return and with his skating he's not going to regress suddenly like Alzner did the last couple years.

I respectfully disagree. The challenge with when to trade Petry is the timing of the expansion draft for Seattle. By expansion draft day, Petry will be a 34-yr old UFA D and a decision will need to be made (I don't believe in rubber hand hush hush deals with the UFa promising to re-sign with you if he isn't re-signed and protected before the expansion draft) whether we re-sign Petry and protect him. If we did, risking too long a term and overpayment at the same time, we'd then need to decide who to protect from Weber, Juulsen and Mete. Kulak, Reilly, etc. needn't be part of that conversation, IMO.

I'd definitely protect Juulsen and I believe Mete would be an automatic pick by Seattle if he was left unprotected. So might Weber since he could be seen as a short term anchor to help develop a fledgling D on an expansion team.

I'd rather trade one of Petry or Weber for genuine assets, but I feel that you could get more by weakening less your own D in a trade involving Petry this season if you held half of his Cap hit (maybe just at the deadline, though, as injuries hit contending teams and a likelihood of a bidding war for Petry increases) for the remainder of his contract (2.75M). That would give the team acquiring Petry three seasons at an incredibly affordable rate for what Petry can bring to your D as #3 D.

If you wait until next season, teams will already be in the expansion draft mode and be likelier to look to trade players which they would be forced to protect at the expansion draft rather than prospects who were protection exempt and high draft picks.

This year, I think that you can get a Sandin, for example, from TOR, along with a package of picks conditional on how far TOR gets in the playoffs with Petry on their roster. Next year, TOR will be more reluctant to let go of a future D with skill that will be exempt from the protection list at the expansion draft. It would likely be a return centered around a package of picks and a player that needs to be protected for the expansion draft if you want to be sure you are keeping him. I'd avoid accumulating players that need to be protected, personally.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I respectfully disagree. The challenge with when to trade Petry is the timing of the expansion draft for Seattle. By expansion draft day, Petry will be a 34-yr old UFA D and a decision will need to be made (I don't believe in rubber hand hush hush deals with the UFa promising to re-sign with you if he isn't re-signed and protected before the expansion draft) whether we re-sign Petry and protect him. If we did, risking too long a term and overpayment at the same time, we'd then need to decide who to protect from Weber, Juulsen and Mete. Kulak, Reilly, etc. needn't be part of that conversation, IMO.

I'd definitely protect Juulsen and I believe Mete would be an automatic pick by Seattle if he was left unprotected. So might Weber since he could be seen as a short term anchor to help develop a fledgling D on an expansion team.

I'd rather trade one of Petry or Weber for genuine assets, but I feel that you could get more by weakening less your own D in a trade involving Petry this season if you held half of his Cap hit (maybe just at the deadline, though, as injuries hit contending teams and a likelihood of a bidding war for Petry increases) for the remainder of his contract (2.75M). That would give the team acquiring Petry three seasons at an incredibly affordable rate for what Petry can bring to your D as #3 D.

If you wait until next season, teams will already be in the expansion draft mode and be likelier to look to trade players which they would be forced to protect at the expansion draft rather than prospects who were protection exempt and high draft picks.

This year, I think that you can get a Sandin, for example, from TOR, along with a package of picks conditional on how far TOR gets in the playoffs with Petry on their roster. Next year, TOR will be more reluctant to let go of a future D with skill that will be exempt from the protection list at the expansion draft. It would likely be a return centered around a package of picks and a player that needs to be protected for the expansion draft if you want to be sure you are keeping him. I'd avoid accumulating players that need to be protected, personally.

Expansion draft is going to be in 2021 which is when Petry's contract expires, Montreal doesn't need to protect Petry.

I don't really see that Montreal would be that hurried to re-sign Petry then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It will take solide deal where the other team overpaid to move him this year for me ! Juulsen is not ready to play 22 min and + and Brooks didn't prove anything in the pro so we don't know what he will become

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I will be interesting to see his production with Weber in the line-up. I guess this might also be a reason why some feel we sell high now cause maybe he takes a step back in production due to Weber getting more minutes and #1 PP time?

I doubt management is willing to move Petry in this pride/rebound year. However, many of us fans would listen to offers if the return was right. I wonder if Bergevin would do the same?

I'm very curious to see the D pairings when Juulsen comes back

Bergevin wants to win now. Only way he moves Petry is to get a LD as good as Petry now.

Also, I wonder if the best first unit would have both Petry and Weber at the point. An added bonus would be Petry would have a much better chance of getting to 50-60 points. Having said that I think the current top 5 (Weber, Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, and KK) will figure it out. Weber was being covered so closely that it opened things up for Drouin on the point. Drouin was doing good things with that space. The puck will start to go in.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Jul 6, 2016
If Petry could play on left side, he would be the ideal partner for Weber.... But....

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

There aren't really three years left as an expansion draft is coming up. The Habs will lose one of Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Mete, either way, so they might as well get some value.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
If we can obtain a A prospect and a first round pick for Petry, we should trade him. His value is overated right now because of all the points he puton the board. Was never impressed by Petry, I would trade him this season for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->