Proposal: Jeff Petry to the Leafs

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Petry for a 2019 1st and one of Sandin or Liljegren. Only deal I see happening if I'm trading Petry to the Leafs.

Too much? Well what do you think a rental for an above average top 4D costs at the deadline? Petry has a great 3 year AAV contract left. Hit fits any team that is a Stanley Cup contender looking to improve their top 4D.
1st+Sandin is in the ballpark, on the high side of it but not ridiculous

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1st+Sandin is in the ballpark, on the high side of it but not ridiculous

I'd make that trade. It's a solid futures package that the Leafs likely prefer not to trade but Petry does seem to fit. His 3 years in term and low AAV for an above average top 4D is good value.

Habs and Leafs are never good trade partners. However, I think other teams would have a hard time beating the 2019 1st and Sandin package. Definitely sparks a conversation but the Habs need Weber back healthy before we make this trade.

Reactions: jfhabs

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'd make that trade. It's a solid futures package that the Leafs likely prefer not to trade but Petry does seem to fit. His 3 years in term and low AAV for an above average top 4D is good value.

Habs and Leafs are never good trade partners. However, I think other teams would have a hard time beating the 2019 1st and Sandin package. Definitely sparks a conversation but the Habs need Weber back healthy before we make this trade.
I don't see him the same as you do - I would call him a below average top 4 D (I think he's a #3) with a market to slightly above market contract, but he's one of just a few guys who might be available today that is able to handle tough competition as a RHD and I do like that he has a little bit of term left so I'd probably make the deal if it was out there. I don't see Petry as "the answer" for us, but I think he'd be a good bandaid while we found or developed that guy. Ideally Liljegren is ready for Petry's minutes in 3 years

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't see him the same as you do - I would call him a below average top 4 D (I think he's a #3) with a market to slightly above market contract, but he's one of just a few guys who might be available today that is able to handle tough competition as a RHD and I do like that he has a little bit of term left so I'd probably make the deal if it was out there. I don't see Petry as "the answer" for us, but I think he'd be a good bandaid while we found or developed that guy. Ideally Liljegren is ready for Petry's minutes in 3 years

100% disagree. Petry is not a below average top 4D. If he was, you should not be talking about a 1st and Sandin as a possible trade package. It don't add up buddy.

Liljegren is age 19. Were not talking about Dahlin type prospect here. Most defenseman take a few years of grooming to make an impact in the NHL. He is a few years away yet but I admire your enthusiasm. Similar pick as Beaulieu and I remember I had the same hope with him. Beaulieu also had a better first year in the AHL as well on a team that was worse in talent too!

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
100% disagree. Petry is not a below average top 4D. If he was, you should not be talking about a 1st and Sandin as a possible trade package. It don't add up buddy
would you call Hamonic a top pairing defender? He got a similar package. Larsson got substantially more than that as the previous guy of the same tier that was traded

anyway, no need to get caught up in the semantics, Petry would shore up the one big hole in our roster and I'd give up a late 1st drafted prospect + another late 1st to get him, or a similar package like a 1st+2x2nds

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Rielly ______
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Carrick

Call ups: Rosen Holl Liljegren Ozhiganov Marincin

Leafs will add a top 4 at the deadline (for picks) if and only if one of the call ups don't prove they can be a top 4 in the first 60 games of the season.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I gotta say 1st+Sandin sounds more enticing than 1st+2nds/Kapanen/Brown. LD is a big position of concern for us.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
We're talking retention at that price.
It's a bit on the high side, but I think Petry makes our D corps respectable for a few years so I wouldn't let retention stymie the deal personally. To each their own though, I get your perspective here

I gotta say 1st+Sandin sounds more enticing than 1st+2nds/Kapanen/Brown. LD is a big position of concern for us.
LD is a strength for the Leafs on the big club roster, so Sandin is probably a better starting point then. I'd much rather give up Sandin than Kapanen

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

Ya, Kapanen and Brown never really made any sense for Montreal. That's just an attempt to add value from Toronto, as those guys are easy to add from our end.

I think Petry is easily worth a 1st plus. Maybe not Sandin, as that's essentially 2 1st rounders, with Sandin fitting Montreal's needs like a glove (as you mentioned). But Petry is worth a lot more than some Leafs fans might like to admit because of the 3 years left on the contract. That's a good player at a good price.

I would probably not pull the trigger on 1st and Sandin. It's just too high a pricel. But it is close to the fair value, and who knows what Dubas and company think. Or maybe there is a different plus instead of Sandin/Liljiegren/Dermott that would work.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Sandin or Dermott has to be involved. So for me, it is Sandin + 2019 1st or Dermott + 2019 2nd. I'm prepared to retain on Petry's salary to work out a deal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Will do. The leafs get worse trading Dermott in exchange for Petry, never mind adding a 1st to that

Except Dermott is not the piece I am personally asking for. It's the 2019 1st and one of Liligren or Sandin. I'm targeting futures and I realize that the Leafs prefer not to subtract from the current roster.

You can keep Dermott. Nothing against him but not my target. I am targeting futures

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
1st and sandin does it for me.

Petry was one of our few bright spots last year but we need To move him imo.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Except Dermott is not the piece I am personally asking for. It's the 2019 1st and one of Liligren or Sandin. I'm targeting futures and I realize that the Leafs prefer not to subtract from the current roster.

You can keep Dermott. Nothing against him but not my target. I am targeting futures
Personally I would part with Sandin. Lili is too close to the NHL and is the hard to get rh young D that the leafs need. They are already deep at LHD

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Sandin + 1st for Petry with a small retention (50% is too much but like a million or so should be eatable) sounds like a solid deal for both teams. In real life, I doubt either party is going to entertain it since the Leafs just drafted Sandin and the Habs aren't likely looking to deal Petry but as a Habs fan, I'd do it once we get Weber back. Of course, a lot can happen before that but right now it seems like possibility to benefit both teams.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Are the Habs not rebuilding? Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought they'd wanna gain as many assets as possible. Keep a few vets around, sure, but Petry seems like a player teams would overpay for.

Habs don't have Weber till part way through the season and throwing guys like Mete, Juulsen into big minutes on a garbage team is just setting them up for failure. Look no further than how the Oilers couldn't develop Dmen or a team structure for years and almost ending up ruining the careers of Schultz + Petry and they only rebounded after leaving town. Habs will be garbage with or without Petry but at least they'll protect and develop their youth properly.

Also the trade return on Petry between now and the deadline or even next draft shouldn't differ much.

Besides, the Leafs can't afford to take on Petry's contract at the moment once Nylander signs and covering the rookie bonuses of Matthews + Marner is taken into account.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Liljegren is age 19. Were not talking about Dahlin type prospect here. Most defenseman take a few years of grooming to make an impact in the NHL. He is a few years away yet but I admire your enthusiasm. Similar pick as Beaulieu and I remember I had the same hope with him. Beaulieu also had a better first year in the AHL as well on a team that was worse in talent too!
saw that you edited this in after I replied. Liljegren actually was compared to Dahlin a lot before their drafts, Dahlin thought of as better even then but Liljegren was thought of as a good enough prospect to get the comparison. Liljegren fell hard in his draft year because he wasn't good, but he had also gotten mono and the scouts didn't know what was him and what was the illness. The biggest thing that came from this year was that the lapses in judgement and terrible processing time that he was displaying in his draft year were gone, which has lead most people to believe that most of that was the mono and not him.

Liljegren hasn't had the AHL year to compare to Beaulieu's first AHL year yet, that will be this coming season. Beaulieu debuted in the AHL as a 19yo in his D+2, Liljegren as an 18yo in his D+1, which is very very rare to the point that there should be very little invested in the measurable results (which set the high water mark for 18yo AHL dmen btw).

Anyway, there's a lot to like about Liljegren's ceiling and current trajectory, he's not a piece that we would include in a deal for a 31yo defenseman imo, it would have to be in a package for a guy who was going to be a long term answer as a top pairing RHD if he were to be on the table

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
This isn't true. It was widely reported at the time that he was battling mono. The scouts, and fans, were aware of his illness. There was no mystery to it at all. The diagnosis came in September.
right, the post you quoted didn't question whether he had mono, it said the scouts "didn't know what was him and what was the illness", meaning the cause of the cognitive lapses he was having that caused him to go from a potential #1 pick to a mid teens pick

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
right, the post you quoted didn't question whether he had mono, it said the scouts "didn't know what was him and what was the illness", meaning the cause of the cognitive lapses he was having that caused him to go from a potential #1 pick to a mid teens pick

Seeing as how he was diagnosed in September, the scouts were very aware that he had mono though. They knew all about the illness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->