Jeff Blashill (mod warning post #44)

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'm starting to shift towards the fire Blashil side of things. Cholowski shouldn't have sat more than one game. Hicketts is not an NHL player but Blashil continues to turn to him (I'd bet Blashil plays a major role in who gets called up. He's a big fan of Hicketts for his "swagger"). I'd rather have Lashoff up than Hicketts.
It would be one thing if we were losing 2-1 or 5-4, but 7-3 is unacceptable. Playing Svechnikov 7 minutes a night when he's clearly better than most in our bottom 6 is silly. All I ask is a coach who will actually give the young guys a shot and let them f*** up. If you think Cholowski isn't NHL ready and the AHL is best for his development, send him down, don't scratch him.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I can take or leave Blashill but it's amazing how Ken Holland got paid a king's ransom after assembling this shit stain of a roster. I know, the Oil is hoping they got 1998-2009 Holland.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
And Larkin will get traded to Chicago and win them like 8 Stanley Cups and Dan Cleary will come back and be the PP coach and we'll set a record with a 0.2% PP efficiency with the only goal we score being one where it only happens because a guy on the other team shoots it into Mantha's face and shatters it so we score a PP goal, but we lose Mantha for multiple seasons.
Cleary is still with the team, has a player development role.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I can take or leave Blashill but it's amazing how Ken Holland got paid a king's ransom after assembling this **** stain of a roster. I know, the Oil is hoping they got 1998-2009 Holland.

The Oil got #1 picks from 1998-2009.

Also, I'm 100% done with Blashill. Svech should be in the lineup. Cholo should be in the lineup.

Whoever needs to not play, that needs to be a thing; I don't care if it's Bowey, or Weird Flip, or Howard, or the f***ing bench (no offense @Bench).

Reactions: Adityase

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I can take or leave Blashill but it's amazing how Ken Holland got paid a king's ransom after assembling this **** stain of a roster. I know, the Oil is hoping they got 1998-2009 Holland.
What, you mean the team he inherited and had Scotty to advise him on what to do?

Do you think its a coincidence that Scotty left in 08 for greener pastures of Chicago?

Reactions: 2xJack

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
No, it’s just many people have better things to do than allow you to cast a miserable shadow over life. Nobody’s hiding from you, don’t give yourself that much credit.

Give it a rest pal the fact you are a still defending him just shows how much of a homer you are. I have seen you in the GDT threads defending Blashill's stupid decisions like benching Chow.

Let me ask you this one question since you keep saying that it's not the coaches fault for this and that.

What is Jeff Blashill responsible for as a coach of the Detroit Red Wings?

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Give it a rest pal the fact you are a still defending him just shows how much of a homer you are. I have seen you in the GDT threads defending Blashill's stupid decisions like benching Chow.

Let me ask you this one question since you keep saying that it's not the coaches fault for this and that.

I gave a comment of the rationale for why a coach would bench Cholowski, and said that I personally don’t like the concept, but it is a legitimate concept that more coaches than just Jeff Blashill use. Coaches who have more success with the bowel movements they have in the morning than you will ever have in successfully making a reasonable argument on anything that has to do with Blashill. And further, I’ve said how I didn’t agree with Cholowski being scratched two straight games; that if this is the coaching approach he is going to take, there needs to be a clear and obvious path to returning to a prominent role; that there’s a difference between a teaching effort and purely putting someone in the doghouse. But let’s not ruin your narrative with the facts and things I’ve actually said.

I couldn’t tell you specifically what his job responsibilities are. I’m not his boss and I’m not privileged to their conversations. I will tell you that if I had to put money on it, it doesn’t really have anything to do with winning games right now. Because if it did, he wouldn’t be employed. I will tell you that when he was signed to an extension, that Holland explicitly stated that the team was very happy with the work that the development of young players while the team was going through a rebuild.

Thanks and have a nice day

Reactions: RedMenace

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's amazing how teams that miss the playoffs and get top 5-10 picks end up with better looking rosters than a team that has 25 years straight in the playoffs.

Let's take a look at the number of top 10 picks the current top 10 teams in the league had between 2005 and 2016:

10. Vancouver: 5
9. Colorado: 4
8. Nashville: 2 (+2 #11 picks)
7. Islanders: 7
6. Blues: 2
5. Edmonton: 9
4. Carolina: 5
3. Buffalo: 4
2. Boston: 4
1. Washington: 2 (+ #1OA in 2004 and a #11 pick)

That's just top 15. If we were to go to top 15 (of which we had ONE during that time) or top 25 (of which we had 6) the difference becomes even crazier:

Between 2005 and 2016, we had the most regular season success in the league. The other top 10 most successful teams:

Sharks
Ducks
Pens
Rangers
Nucks
Capitals
Predators
Blackhawks
Bruins

Blackhawks, Caps, Ducks, Sharks, Bruins, Preds, Pens are probably all closing in on doing some kind of real rebuild, or some retool-on-the-fly variants.
Rangers and Nucks are rebuilding, imo not looking much better than us other than the fact that Nucks got Pettersson and Rangers won the lottery.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I'm starting to shift towards the fire Blashil side of things. Cholowski shouldn't have sat more than one game. Hicketts is not an NHL player but Blashil continues to turn to him (I'd bet Blashil plays a major role in who gets called up. He's a big fan of Hicketts for his "swagger"). I'd rather have Lashoff up than Hicketts.
It would be one thing if we were losing 2-1 or 5-4, but 7-3 is unacceptable. Playing Svechnikov 7 minutes a night when he's clearly better than most in our bottom 6 is silly. All I ask is a coach who will actually give the young guys a shot and let them **** up. If you think Cholowski isn't NHL ready and the AHL is best for his development, send him down, don't scratch him.

I just wonder whether it's a case of Blash thinking he's the smartest guy in the room, Cholo having some underlying issues we are missing or aren't privy to, or that Blash is being managed by management.

I love the energy Hickets brings, but I don't think he is, or will be, better than Cholo in any scenario inside of any reality.

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
I love the energy Hickets brings, but I don't think he is, or will be, better than Cholo in any scenario inside of any reality.

It’s not that anyone other than Hronek has a chance to be better than Cholo. It’s that Cholo has to be better than what he’s doing currently. Yes, his replacement will be worse for the team this year in the standings, but it’s all about development. You don’t want Cholo measuring himself by whether he’s better than Daley. He need to be way better than that.

I’m not specifically defending Blash scratching him for multiple games but I feel this fact is escaping most people.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
It’s not that anyone other than Hronek has a chance to be better than Cholo. It’s that Cholo has to be better than what he’s doing currently. Yes, his replacement will be worse for the team this year in the standings, but it’s all about development. You don’t want Cholo measuring himself by whether he’s better than Daley. He need to be way better than that.

I’m not specifically defending Blash scratching him for multiple games but I feel this fact is escaping most people.

What better way for a kid to develop than have him sit on the bench, watching guys like Daley suck it up.

It's one thing if he's dogging it like Mantha and AA have in the past. But that doesn't seem to be the case with Cholowski. Seems like his biggest problem is he's been learning from guys that suck, because he's making their same mistakes.

Play, make mistakes, watch the tape, have the coaching staff go over those mistakes, work on the deficiencies, correct the mistakes.

Seems like the coaching staff is incapable of following through on their end of improving guys, especially with defensemen.

Reactions: avssuc

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I gave a comment of the rationale for why a coach would bench Cholowski, and said that I personally don’t like the concept, but it is a legitimate concept that more coaches than just Jeff Blashill use. Coaches who have more success with the bowel movements they have in the morning than you will ever have in successfully making a reasonable argument on anything that has to do with Blashill. And further, I’ve said how I didn’t agree with Cholowski being scratched two straight games; that if this is the coaching approach he is going to take, there needs to be a clear and obvious path to returning to a prominent role; that there’s a difference between a teaching effort and purely putting someone in the doghouse. But let’s not ruin your narrative with the facts and things I’ve actually said.

I couldn’t tell you specifically what his job responsibilities are. I’m not his boss and I’m not privileged to their conversations. I will tell you that if I had to put money on it, it doesn’t really have anything to do with winning games right now. Because if it did, he wouldn’t be employed. I will tell you that when he was signed to an extension, that Holland explicitly stated that the team was very happy with the work that the development of young players while the team was going through a rebuild.

Thanks and have a nice day

Chow shouldn't have been scratched at all. We have guys like Green, Daley and Bowey that are playing worse than Chow. It isn't a legitimate concept to scratch him since he's young when the veterans (other than Bowe since he's not a veteran)are playing worse.

You misunderstand my question. Your whole arguement was that it isn't Blashill's fault that the team sucks because the talent is so bad. I asked what he's responisble for because he has to be accountable for something this team does.

He just said before the game that in the last little the Wings have done a better job of limiting teams chances. Easily the funniest thing I have heard in a while. The team allows 7 goals the other night and has average over 5 goals against during the losing streak and he thinks they have done a good of limiting chances.

But no buddy we shouldn't fire him it isn't his fault nothing is his fault.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What better way for a kid to develop than have him sit on the bench, watching guys like Daley suck it up.

It's one thing if he's dogging it like Mantha and AA have in the past. But that doesn't seem to be the case with Cholowski. Seems like his biggest problem is he's been learning from guys that suck, because he's making their same mistakes.

Play, make mistakes, watch the tape, have the coaching staff go over those mistakes, work on the deficiencies, correct the mistakes.

Seems like the coaching staff is incapable of following through on their end of improving guys, especially with defensemen.
The staff isn't doing much for the goaltending or offense either or PP or PK.

Do they just sit around and drink beer during practice like my old softball team?

Reactions: TheClap

MetalHeadRedwingfan

Feb 6, 2019
It's Blash's fault, enough said. This guy hasn't done shit since he's been here. Name one good thing he's done for this organization? Best thing he's done is make goofy dumb faces on the bench and in the press conferences.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

After the game Cholo played last night against Panthers, it makes complete sense why he was benched. Hate on Hickets all you want, but he doesn't give the puck away like Cholo LOVES to do... and Cholo plays like a cream puff.

I agree with you Hicketts is an ahl dman, but Cholo is utter crap. There still might be hope for him, but I doubt it.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
After the game Cholo played last night against Panthers, it makes complete sense why he was benched. Hate on Hickets all you want, but he doesn't give the puck away like Cholo LOVES to do... and Cholo plays like a cream puff.

I agree with you Hicketts is an ahl dman, but Cholo is utter crap. There still might be hope for him, but I doubt it.
It is pretty scary that we have one legit young NHL dman (Hronek). Seider could be the second good one but we are so f***ing behind in this 'rebuild'

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005

This is utterly ridiculous. Cholowski is terrific with the puck, Hicketts has been awful with it at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotLeddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad