Jeff Blashill (mod warning post #44)

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I bet the Leafs win a playoff series for the first time in 14 years now.

I want them to just to add onto the large pile of evidence that Babs is super overrated, but then again it's the Leafs...
I guess it's a win/win situation for me this year when it comes to their first round.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I actually never hated Blashill as much as some, but it is so obviously time for a change. Right now he's hurting player development, and also hurting the value of what few trade chips we have before the deadline and what will be a very important off-season. So he's essentially hurting our future.

At least last year we had some guys playing well enough to be traded for good value and had most of the young players developing nicely. Nothing even close to that this year.

I get not wanting to hire some guy if he's not THE guy, but just promote someone from within or make a quick hire and name him interim coach for the remainder of the year. He won't be the fix or anything, but they literally couldn't play any worse than they are now, perhaps a few guys pick up their play, and there's zero possibility of them hurting their draft chances even with a winning streak because they are so far behind.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I actually never hated Blashill as much as some, but it is so obviously time for a change. Right now he's hurting player development, and also hurting the value of what few trade chips we have before the deadline and what will be a very important off-season. So he's essentially hurting our future.

At least last year we had some guys playing well enough to be traded for good value and had most of the young players developing nicely. Nothing even close to that this year.

I get not wanting to hire some guy if he's not THE guy, but just promote someone from within or make a quick hire and name him interim coach for the remainder of the year. He won't be the fix or anything, but they literally couldn't play any worse than they are now, perhaps a few guys pick up their play, and there's zero possibility of them hurting their draft chances even with a winning streak because they are so far behind.

Why people don't understand the "interim" part of the situation is what really bakes my noodle.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Why people don't understand the "interim" part of the situation is what really bakes my noodle.

lol I thought about putting that word in bold or underline just to clarify. At this point absolutely no harm done. I honestly think they could go without ANY coach for the rest of the year and not get any worse.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I think people are dug in and have argued on behalf of Blash for so long, that there's virtually nothing short of serious criminal charges that would get them to support firing Blashill.

I thought it was crazy to start the season with this nimrod, given how bad he's been.
But I can't find many reasonable opinions for why he shouldn't be fired after this ridiculous start.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

What specifically is he doing that is holding back the development of our young players and what specifically is he doing to make our older players play worse? I am not wild about everything he does as a coach and think his time should be up at the end of the season but I have zero interest in holding him responsible for everything that is wrong with every player on our team.

If you want to be intellectually honest about this group and this season, Larkin, AA, Green and Howard are clearly not playing up to their indivdual potential and it is really killing us. I have my theories and you obviosuly have yours. Hronek, Bert and Mantha (when healthy) have all taken noticeable steps forward as has Zadina. Helm is playing consistently better than he has the last two seasons. Fabbri has clearly regained some form, Nemeth is no worse than advertised and Glendening is at least playing up to his potential. The rest of the lot either: (a) are who they are, or (b) are old players doing what old players do. If you want to blame Blash for the failures, you need to give him credit for the realtive successes as well.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
What specifically is he doing that is holding back the development of our young players and what specifically is he doing to make our older players play worse? I am not wild about everything he does as a coach and think his time should be up at the end of the season but I have zero interest in holding him responsible for everything that is wrong with every player on our team.

If you want to be intellectually honest about this group and this season, Larkin, AA, Green and Howard are clearly not playing up to their indivdual potential and it is really killing us. I have my theories and you obviosuly have yours. Hronek, Bert and Mantha (when healthy) have all taken noticeable steps forward as has Zadina. Helm is playing consistently better than he has the last two seasons. Fabbri has clearly regained some form, Nemeth is no worse than advertised and Glendening is at least playing up to his potential. The rest of the lot either: (a) are who they are, or (b) are old players doing what old players do. If you want to blame Blash for the failures, you need to give him credit for the realtive successes as well.

I'm certainly not expecting guys like Green and Howard to develop, come on. But are you honestly suggesting that he's actually been GOOD for player development this year?

I shouldn't even have to mention it IS the coach's actual job to motivate players and put them in a position to succeed. He was doing that last year and the year before, at least to some extent. He isn't doing that this year.

Of course EVERYTHING isn't on him, and nowhere in any of my posts did I even suggest that. But what possible good can from keeping him? This is easily the most toxic season the Wings have had in 30 years, and it is absurd to suggest the coaching staff isn't at least a part of it.

Also you want to blame the slumping players for their slumps and not Blashill, while also praising Blashill for the (3) players who are playing decently well? The failures this year far outweigh any relative success, and I'm flabbergasted that anyone would fail to see that.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'm certainly not expecting guys like Green and Howard to develop, come on. But are you honestly suggesting that he's actually been GOOD for player development this year?

I shouldn't even have to mention it IS the coach's actual job to motivate players and put them in a position to succeed. He was doing that last year and the year before, at least to some extent. He isn't doing that this year.

Of course EVERYTHING isn't on him, and nowhere in any of my posts did I even suggest that. But what possible good can from keeping him? This is easily the most toxic season the Wings have had in 30 years, and it is absurd to suggest the coaching staff isn't at least a part of it.

Also you want to blame the slumping players for their slumps and not Blashill, while also praising Blashill for the (3) players who are playing decently well? The failures this year far outweigh any relative success, and I'm flabbergasted that anyone would fail to see that.

Not putting them in position to be successful? Got any other cliches for us? How is he putting players in materially different positions this year? Of course this is the most toxic Wings season in the last 30 years, this is without question the single worst Red Wings roster of the last thirty years even before the injuries. I don't mean to upset you, but we are going to continue to suck for the next three years so buckle up. There is no white knight coming to the rescue anytime soon.

Prospect development has been a mixed bag this season. Some guys have moved forward and some have moved back. If you are expecting perfectly linear prospect development you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Bad teams are bad because they have bad players. They become good teams when they acquire better players. We literally ran out three top six forwards last night. Three. Not top line forwards, top six forwards. That talent deficit doesn't help any young player. It is hard to surround young players with talent when you don't have any. If you want to hire a good replacement in the off season, act like you know how to evaluate your team.

Reactions: TKB

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Not putting them in position to be successful? Got any other cliches for us? How is he putting players in materially different positions this year? Of course this is the most toxic Wings season in the last 30 years, this is without question the single worst Red Wings roster of the last thirty years even before the injuries. I don't mean to upset you, but we are going to continue to suck for the next three years so buckle up. There is no white knight coming to the rescue anytime soon.

Prospect development has been a mixed bag this season. Some guys have moved forward and some have moved back. If you are expecting perfectly linear prospect development you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Bad teams are bad because they have bad players. They become good teams when they acquire better players. We literally ran out three top six forwards last night. Three. Not top line forwards, top six forwards. That talent deficit doesn't help any young player. It is hard to surround young players with talent when you don't have any. If you want to hire a good replacement in the off season, act like you know how to evaluate your team.

Bad teams are bad because they have a bad combination of players, not simply bad players.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

What's Disco Dan going to do?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Howard and Green are at the point in their lives where they are going to decline. Don’t put that on anything but biology.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Another embarrassing blowout on home ice. Its all but a lock now that he will have coached this team to the worst NHL record in the modern era. Every single player on the roster has regressed, and we barely are able to score one goal per game with his 'system'.

Bring him back for next season?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Don't hate him no more, instead feel sorry for him. I think he is nice guy who isn't good pushing bottoms. The only similarity to Babcock is his voice. I like to see Blashill get angry, Not sure Gallant is an answer for us, another nice guy. Vegas doing very good without him , have good chance to win the cup

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
I'm at a point now where I'm wondering when he's going to have enough and quit. It has to be frustrating coming to work everyday and being so incompetent at your job. He might resign before he gets fired for his mental well being.

Reactions: lilidk

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Honestly why the hell not bring Babcock back? The whole thing was blown wayyyyyyyyyyy out of proportion clearly there were just a lot of players who hated Babcock because he's a hardass and wanted to crucify him publicly. Fact is Mike Babcock is an incredible coach who gets his teams to work their asses off.

Reactions: lilidk

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Honestly why the hell not bring Babcock back? The whole thing was blown wayyyyyyyyyyy out of proportion clearly there were just a lot of players who hated Babcock because he's a hardass and wanted to crucify him publicly. Fact is Mike Babcock is an incredible coach who gets his teams to work their asses off.

The only thing about Babcock that was blow out of proportion was how good of a coach he is.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Because there are plenty of other choices now?

We're getting close enough to the end that I don;t see a coaching change until the offseason, but good god if Disco Dan is back I'm not watching any games. Stevie would be better off running the PP himself, or lacing up and playing, lol.

I'll take any of the available candidates right now, even Boudreau, though he isn't very good coaching D.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
WHY would anyone want Babcock back? Do you not remember tie goes to vets, even when it seems quite clear that the rookie is better? How about always keeping top players separate to spread scoring? How about not doing anything in the playoffs after 2010? I would rather they bring back Dave Lewis than Mike Babcock if that was the ridiculous choice to coach our team next year.

Reactions: golffuul

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He definitely did some things that were over the line but yes it did get blown out of proportion and everyone started piling on in this cancel culture.

That being said he's the wrong coach for a young rebuilding team. Down the road on a team stacked with talent that couldn't get over the hump I could see bringing in a coach like him to be a hardass and get the players paying attention to the small details that make the difference in closing out games versus blowing leads.

Right now though he needs to be home collecting paychecks and re-evaluating his coaching methods.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad