Series Talk: ECQF: Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders (CAR Leads 3-1)

CAR vs NYI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I’m just shocked at how completely the Canes have manhandled the Isles, who were on fire at 8-1-1 to grab their playoff spot. I never thought all that momentum NYI had built would translate to absolutely nothing

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Since we are talking about everything the Isles fans have said or done, why dont we also bring up the Canes fans who posted pictures of the 9/11 World Trade Center attack? I would say that is pretty sick too, no?
Its a social media influencer whose sole goal is drive up attention to his profile for money. Its the sad state of affairs that is the social media. The more controversial the post, the more attention it gets. Some people have no morals when it comes to trying to make money

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I’m just shocked at how completely the Canes have manhandled the Isles, who were on fire at 8-1-1 to grab their playoff spot. I never thought all that momentum NYI had built would translate to absolutely nothing
They've made the games close though, outside of empty netters they've all been 1 goal games. on paper the Canes could easily be winning every game by 2-3 goals but they haven't been. credit to the Isles as they've been better than 3-0 suggests.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Lol at saying the Canes goaltending is the problem after the saves Freddie made last night. And that's on the back of a .951 save % since he came back from his medical issue as well as putting up stellar numbers in the run last year that was only outdone by a combination of a Canes inability to score meeting up with a red hot Bob.

I'm saying its killed them in their series losses...the Isles have no ability to finish at all which can make Andersen look fine but I do not trust him at all vs better teams. I felt he was bad in the series vs FLA last year overall

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Lol

Your bias is showing

I honestly was all out for Carolina in that series because I have so many damn FLA bandwagon friends since my family lives down in south Florida. He was sneaky bad in that obviously Carolina was not allowing boatloads of goals but he was just brutal in those game 3-4s in Florida, he even screamed at the D I think after the last second goal that lost them the series. I simply do not think he has the cojones to be a SC winning netminder, any Leafs fan will tell you it was never below the shoulders that was the issue, it was above

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
It's not like the Islanders were beating the world to go 8-1-1

1714142150414.png

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
There’s no game to game momentum in the playoffs. Every game is a reset.

Reactions: geehaad and barbu

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

Its fairly typical for that to happen over the years....usually when a team does that its their big boys who carry them but once you get to the playoffs those guys inevitably get shutdown or focused on. We saw Ottawa make that run a few years back then just go quietly once the first round began. The Isles might have been a big pain in this series had the likes of Horvat/Barzal been better since their role guys have actually done very well. More often the rule that works better is when a 1-2-3 seed goes cold the final week or two, they often go out in round 1. I have not found that teams who get hot the final week or two necessarily go deep though FLA sure did last year

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
maybe 5 teams, but yeah no argument there. Pretty drastic swing from the last few seasons, though there were signs even last year.
The East is basically NYR/CAR. I think BOS/FLA are GOOD but do I think they can win a cup this year? No. I think Bob is too unreliable and BOS is just not as elite as they were a few years ago. That does not mean they won't win but to me the winner of NYR/CAR probably wins the cup. I do think VGK is the only true threat to either in a final

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The East is basically NYR/CAR. I think BOS/FLA are GOOD but do I think they can win a cup this year? No. I think Bob is too unreliable and BOS is just not as elite as they were a few years ago. That does not mean they won't win but to me the winner of NYR/CAR probably wins the cup. I do think VGK is the only true threat to either in a final
FLA I can see winning if Bob actually carries his heater into the final unlike last year, but we'll see. Bob can be flakey as we have seen in the past. When he turned back into a pumpkin last year they were cooked. Boston I won't write off until they finally flirt with missing the playoffs the way Tampa did this year.

Vegas and Dallas scare the piss out of me out West, not sure how that's a first round matchup.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
FLA I can see winning if Bob actually carries his heater into the final unlike last year, but we'll see. Bob can be flakey as we have seen in the past. When he turned back into a pumpkin last year they were cooked. Boston I won't write off until they finally flirt with missing the playoffs the way Tampa did this year.

Vegas and Dallas scare the piss out of me out West, not sure how that's a first round matchup.
The stupid format sort of allowed BOS/VGK to tank. As it turns out both might regret it. BOS now probably wishes they played TB and in 3 days maybe VGK will have wished they got VAN if DAL wins 2 of the next 3 and VGK finds themselves in a must win game 6 at home to avoid a game 7. I think with Demko down they'd have loved VAN, they simply tried to get the matchup they knew favored them with Dallas

Reactions: DaveG

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I'm not sure about that. Canes have smothering D and Igor can be rattled. I think any of the 4 can win vs each other. Counting Boston as well
Igor hasn't had a bad playoff game since early in his first ever series against the pens two years ago.

He's been sensational against the Canes that year, then against the Lightning (despite elimination) and last year against the Devils (again despite elimination).

Even when the Rangers are knocked out in the past two years, Shesty has 100% been their best player by a long shot. And last year against the Devils, he was the best player on the ice for either team in all 7 games. Like, it wasn't even close. It was Igor alone v. Devils with a guest appearance of Kreider every few games and that's it.

This year, he's been good (not sensational) to take a 2-0 lead so far against the capitals too. He hasn't let in a soft goal and has made some killer saves last game.

While you can't predict how goalies will play, I do not think if the Canes eliminate the Rangers, it will be due to Shesterkin letting in softies. It will be because the Canes got a lot of second chance opportunities the rangers couldn't defend and then were able to successfully defend against the Rangers at 5v5 and on the PK.

And those are definitely not outside the realm of possibility here. Rangers are beatable. But it's not due to Shesterkin at all in my humble opinion. He's the guy I worry about least right now.

Reactions: Mike C and DaveG

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
There’s no game to game momentum in the playoffs. Every game is a reset.
Well that's truer than the regular season, but what I mean is they seemed to be playing in a style that would translated well to the postseason, from what I saw. Tight games that were going down to the wire and involved holding on to slender leads or deciding it in OT.

It's not like the Islanders were beating the world to go 8-1-1

View attachment 859877
Yeah, there were not any real stompings in there, but some solid wins, too. Nashville, taking 3 of 4 points off the Rangers (and 2 minutes away from 2 wins). And close games where a single goal was the difference (and so the team had to tighten up). Looking back, every game from April 4-9 was settled by a late empty netter. I realize beating Philly and NJ down the stretch wasnt that big of an achievement.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
They've made the games close though, outside of empty netters they've all been 1 goal games. on paper the Canes could easily be winning every game by 2-3 goals but they haven't been. credit to the Isles as they've been better than 3-0 suggests.
How often are playoff games not one goal games though? I feel like that's more often than not the case.

I genuinely am asking. I have no idea if I'm right.

Anyways, here's hoping for a reverse sweep. I've been waiting decades for a Rangers / Islanders series. Feels like I'm going to continue waiting decades at this point.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
How often are playoff games not one goal games though? I feel like that's more often than not the case.

I genuinely am asking. I have no idea if I'm right.

Anyways, here's hoping for a reverse sweep. I've been waiting decades for a Rangers / Islanders series. Feels like I'm going to continue waiting decades at this point.
SHARE OF GAMES W/ MARGIN OF …
YEAR1 GOAL2 GOALS3 GOALS4+ GOALSAVG. MARGIN
202225%25%18%31%2.71
SOURCE: ESPN

some data from playoffs first round, from this article:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad