Prospect Info: Jayden Struble Part 2

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Struble would play his last year in the NCAA next year. You really want the same drama as we have with Harris this year? No. Bring him to Laval.
If he can't cut it as a top pairing D in NCAA, he isn't going to get much offers outside of the team that drafted him.

Reactions: DAChampion

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
He plays behind Harris at Northeastern and this year the team is weak offensively, so his stats are not great, but he is ready for the next step. Next year if he stays at Northeastern with no Harris in front of him, his stats will take a big jump and believe me, if goes tom free agency in August 2023, he will have plenty of offers. Again, he is only four months older than Guhle. He is a very good prospect.

If he can't cut it as a top pairing D in NCAA, he isn't going to get much offers outside of the team that drafted him.

Reactions: DAChampion

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
If this guy can stay healthy I think he can be the real deal. Injuries have drastically affected his development, it's quite unfortunate.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He plays behind Harris at Northeastern and this year the team is weak offensively, so his stats are not great, but he is ready for the next step. Next year if he stays at Northeastern with no Harris in front of him, his stats will take a big jump and believe me, if goes tom free agency in August 2023, he will have plenty of offers. Again, he is only four months older than Guhle. He is a very good prospect.

Why would he want to sign now and not next year?

Assuming Harris signs, Habs will have both Guhle and Harris on LD going pro, he'll then be stuck behind them for AHL icetime along with Xhekaj.

If he leaves he leaves IMO, but best development path is likely being top pairing D in NCAA and showing he can take his game to next level before getting a contract.

Last edited:

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
If Harris signs, he will likely be good enough to play in the NHL right away. He will be 22 next season. Guhle is close to the NHL and will not play much in Laval. So there will be plenty of room for Struble.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
@montreal is there a chance Struble turns pro? 3 years in the NCAA so far

I haven't heard anything, I would want to see him go back for his Senior year, he's still got a good bit of improvement to make, although he could do that in Laval, but it would be a crowded bluleline if Guhle is there plus you have Norlinder, Harris, Xhekaj and Brook could be back though he needs to clear waivers, if he misses most of this year to injury then I think he clears.

Reactions: cphabs and Tyson

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I haven't heard anything, I would want to see him go back for his Senior year, he's still got a good bit of improvement to make, although he could do that in Laval, but it would be a crowded bluleline if Guhle is there plus you have Norlinder, Harris, Xhekaj and Brook could be back though he needs to clear waivers, if he misses most of this year to injury then I think he clears.

1. Guhle
2. Harris
3. Norlinder
4. Xhekaj
5. Brook

Plus Fairbrother and Schuneman.

That's already 7D. Will reliable Xman Xavier Ouellet be back also?

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Not a word about Struble. He is ready to turn pro. He needs to go to Laval and play more games. He did not play enough games in the last three years with injuries and covid. Bring him with the Rocket on an AHL contract this year and his ELC after that.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Not a word about Struble. He is ready to turn pro. He needs to go to Laval and play more games. He did not play enough games in the last three years with injuries and covid. Bring him with the Rocket on an AHL contract this year and his ELC after that.
I think it will be entirely up to Struble. I don't think Hughes and co will be pressuring him

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021

If true, then Habs have spoken to him about possibly signing to turn pro.

I'm torn on this one. There are alot of youngsters that need to play in Laval. I don't know if he would have a big role. A big role on Northeastern may be more valuable than a depth role in Laval.

But playing more games would be good and physically he wouldnt be out of place in the AHL.

I guess it also depends how many prospects make the habs D, UFA signings, etc...

There are some good AHL defensemen on the team as well with Belpedio and Dello. We may not NEED to have them back, but they are steady players for that team. It would be nice to keep them around.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm torn on this one. There are alot of youngsters that need to play in Laval. I don't know if he would have a big role. A big role on Northeastern may be more valuable than a depth role in Laval.

But playing more games would be good and physically he wouldnt be out of place in the AHL.

I guess it also depends how many prospects make the habs D, UFA signings, etc...

There are some good AHL defensemen on the team as well with Belpedio and Dello. We may not NEED to have them back, but they are steady players for that team. It would be nice to keep them around.

In Struble's case, I'm good whether he stays at Northeastern or turns pro.

If he goes back to Northeastern, he will be on their top pair and will have more responsibilities and ice time.

If he turns pro, he will join a young D group that will turn pro next year or are already pro (Harris, Guhle, Barron, Xhekaj, Norlinder, Fairbrother). That will be a lot of fun to watch. The other part of him turning pro that can be advantageous is that Habs will be able to work directly with him in his development with Adam Nicholas there and the development team they will grow. So they'll be more hands on.

Reactions: 26Mats and montreal

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I don't think there's a wrong way to go with Struble. He's been injured a lot in his first two seasons and he's never been THE guy for the team yet so a senior season wouldnt be wasted time IMO. On the other hand, he's strong enough physically to play pro and he could really benefit from some pro coaching/development to own his raw tools a bit more. I'll be happy with whatever option he takes.

Reactions: montreal

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021

If he goes back to Northeastern, he will be on their top pair and will have more responsibilities and ice time.

If he turns pro, he will join a young D group that will turn pro next year or are already pro (Harris, Guhle, Barron, Xhekaj, Norlinder, Fairbrother). That will be a lot of fun to watch. The other part of him turning pro that can be advantageous is that Habs will be able to work directly with him in his development with Adam Nicholas there and the development team they will grow. So they'll be more hands on.

True. I look forward to watching Laval next season and over the few following seasons. There were just so many draft picks. We are bound to see a lot of decent prospects in the AHL in the coming years.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Struble would play his last year in the NCAA next year. You really want the same drama as we have with Harris this year? No. Bring him to Laval.

What drama? You talking about the drama that was inherent to MB's regime? Once the new management came onboard, I'm learning about this new regime; I had no doubt that Harris would sign with the Habs.

I don't believe Struble, should he choose to play another year at NorthEastern, that it would be to the peril of the Habs organization. Maybe I got my rose colored glasses on, like I did when MB was first hired, but I feel strongly that they have the right mentality to make these players feel like they have a place within the organization. Not that they will promise them a spot on the roster, but given their progression, they can obtain their goal here.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Hey guys! We could take him or whoever doesn't make Laval final cut in Trois-Rivières if he choose to turn pro!

Reactions: 26Mats

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With Struble he already has NHL strength, skating, speed. So unlike Harris, Struble has the power and strength and physical game that Harris will never have. But another year in the NCAA as the top pairing, top PP guy and he could finally break out offensively. He's improved his defense but also played with a really good shutdown partner and had maybe the best goalie in the league in front of him. The good news is that he really cut down on the boneheaded mistakes he made in his Freshman and Sophomore year, not to say that they happened often but a couple time where you would go WTF was that? I don't recall seeing any of that this year but still have some doubts about the IQ, he's clearly not on the same level of Harris in that regard as he just thinks the game so well.

But offensively that's where I struggle as early on he would rush the puck up ice, make a nice move or just power past someone but it almost never led to anything in terms of production. In the 2nd half when they got more healthy at forward the points started to come. I know he said in the off-season he wanted to work on his offense and he was clearly trying out there as you would see him jump into the play a good bit (not over the top like Norlinder) but what troubled me was the lack of goals, he's got power on the shot but seemed to pass more and I wanted to see him shoot more to get a better feel for the shot.

It will be very interesting if he does turn pro, how will they handle all these young D as clearly it could be very crowded and they may have to make a trade at some point to get some help up front. Maybe they could loan Norlinder back to the SHL again, or trade Brook who needs waivers so they don't lose him for nothing or perhaps Xhekaj could go to 3R. Either way it's an interesting problem to have finally.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I also think if he's ready to sign, sign him, rather than risk him walking next year.

But having 7 or 8 (Brook) D in Laval that all need to play is a problem. Is the ECHL really a good enough league for Struble?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I also think if he's ready to sign, sign him, rather than risk him walking next year.

But having 7 or 8 (Brook) D in Laval that all need to play is a problem. Is the ECHL really a good enough league for Struble?

The beauty of having 3R right next to Laval. Xhekaj could start in 3R, as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad