Prospect Info: Jayden Struble Part 2

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Struble made two boneheaded (bad decision) plays that lead to Quinnipiac goals - that’ll be the ultimate question can he develop the NHL level anticipation (read & react) skills required for next level of play?

Other than skating Harris does everything avg vs peers (shooting, passing, vision, anticipation), and has nowhere near the natural athletic ability of Struble
Watch the Crosby golden goal game and see who was on the D for the 2 US goals.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I saw Harris at rookie camp two different years and he was a standout twice. Maybe the best skater in our entire organization on a par with Byron, and he's strong for his size. Needs to get bigger, of course, and continue to develop his strength. There was a video breakdown about how his playmaking in the ozone was taking strides. His rush defense is supposed to be excellent because of his skating - there was a video breakdown of that too.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Struble made two boneheaded (bad decision) plays that lead to Quinnipiac goals - that’ll be the ultimate question can he develop the NHL level anticipation (read & react) skills required for next level of play?

Other than skating Harris does everything avg vs peers (shooting, passing, vision, anticipation), and has nowhere near the natural athletic ability of Struble

I will watch the Friday night game today or tomorrow, have to see if I can get the Saturday night game since they were part of the icebreaker tournament games, they don't appear to be on the hockeyeast package through cbs sports that I use.

I do have questions about Struble's IQ and have said as much but he's missed so much time that I said I wanted to see more as he does do some dumb things in his own end at times and others you see his emotions get the better of him. If I were MB and felt I had to trade a D prospect he would likely be the one I move though it would be very risky since he has several NHL tools.

Harris though I don't agree at all, there's a reason he was in the Hobey Baker voting, it's because he was one of the best D in the Hockey East. He said he worked on his shot from the summer of 2020 and it showed, but he doesn't have power so it will likely never be a big time shot ala Weber of course. The passing, vision, anticipation are all above average imo. He doesn't have the strength of Struble and likely never will. His game is about poise, making the right plays, using his high IQ, skating, mobility.

Reactions: loadie and cphabs

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Im seriously questionning his ceilling right now. 4 pts in 15 games. This is not what we should expect from him after 3 years in college

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Struble just turned 20 and played only 54 games above the high school level. It is not the time to trade such a promising player. He needs to stay healthy and play real games. That's it.

If you end up trading a player among Romanov, Harris, Struble and Guhle, it would be later on when they showed their full potential. Also, add the uncertainty about Harris as another reason to keep Struble.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Im seriously questionning his ceilling right now. 4 pts in 15 games. This is not what we should expect from him after 3 years in college
Didn't he score 3 of those points in the first game of the season?

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Struble just turned 20 and played only 54 games above the high school level. It is not the time to trade such a promising player. He needs to stay healthy and play real games. That's it.

If you end up trading a player among Romanov, Harris, Struble and Guhle, it would be later on when they showed their full potential. Also, add the uncertainty about Harris as another reason to keep Struble.
Yeah but guys in the H-east league. like jonathan Kovacevic, carey fitzgerald and many others…. They had better stats than him at same age and look where they are now. ..In the AHL. Mcavoy back in the days. 26 pts in 38 games at 18 years old. This is impressive, but what Struble is doing isnt.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Didn't he score 3 of those points in the first game of the season?
Yepp. I honestly didnt watch a single Struble game. But players who playing in the NHL are dominant during their junior career in term of statistic. Struble stats are just way below to what we should expect.

Reactions: Tyson

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's struggling offensively no question about it. For a junior to have 4 pts in 15 games isn't good but 1 pt in the last 14 games is very very troubling. His 2 goals, 1 was an empty netter the other scored from center ice. He said that his goal this year was to score more but so far it's just happening. I've seen most of their games this year, he does look better defensively, and his physical game is top notch. He has all the physical tools you would want, and he makes things happen out there but the problem is right now the puck is just not going in for him or the plays he sets up just aren't going in.

On the other hand, some of the fault is on Harris, as they are the top 2 LD's so that means that Harris gets around 90 seconds per PP vs Struble's 30 ish seconds on the 2nd unit. In his Freshman year they would put them together but the last 2 years they stopped using Harris at RD so that has impacted Struble as Harris is just better outside of the physical game.

Last year NU had one of the best PP's in the NCAA, this year it's one of the worst, they are playing well because they have likely the best goalie in the NCAA and a very good blueline but they have been banged up at forward and even before that struggled badly to score goals.

It's going to be very interesting to see what the Habs have planned for him, and what he wants as of now you would want him to return to the NCAA as he would be the top pairing LD and top PP unit. But if so then you have to hear about him not signing with us and signing with boston instead all year long.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I'm not worried about his stats. Struble is a fantastic physical defenseman. He got all tools to dominate. If he become more a bottom defenseman, it's ok. He is going to be a pretty good one. But i still think that he have the potential to become top 4.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I'm not worried about his stats. Struble is a fantastic physical defenseman. He got all tools to dominate. If he become more a bottom defenseman, it's ok. He is going to be a pretty good one. But i still think that he have the potential to become top 4.
You overate way too much. Will be lucky to have a nhl dman with him on bottom pairing. For one brett pesce. You will find 5 garbages like kovacevic, fitzgerald, renouf, rhuwedel…

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Slowly starting to drop under Jackeye in my Def prospect list.

I'd have to watch him more, maybe someone could weight in on this but so far Xhekaj this year > Struble

Reactions: Hins77

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Yes he still has a very good shot at being a bottom pairing D that if he can progress then perhaps more as he does have offensive tools but the production just isn't there. His team does have trouble scoring goals with just 36 in 14 games, that's 2.5 per game, so with limited PP time and a group of forwards that heavily relies on 1 player (Nucks pick) they have been in a number of low scoring games so of course that impacts him.

You overate way too much. Will be lucky to have a nhl dman with him on bottom pairing. For one brett pesce. You will find 5 garbages like kovacevic, fitzgerald, renouf, rhuwedel…

He could easily end up an NHL defensemen in 3-4 years though, as he has NHL skating, speed, strength and that compact Subban like frame. He's physical and has some offensive tools so there's certainly NHL upside. He's had some injuries in the past that have impacted his development and I think he was more on the raw side when he was drafted.

In fact I would be surprised if Struble doesn't see some NHL games down the road, even if it's as a 7th D. I've always had doubts about the IQ and I thought he would show much more offensively but we'll see what happens next year, if he's back at NU as Harris won't be there so he'll be the top LD and PP guy so hopefully he can break out offensively.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
You just said you did not watch a single game of him this year or ever. So you should not be as definitive on him. I remember that Struble was on a one point per game stretch, around 15 games, covering the end of his first year and the begining of his second, until he got injured again. I think the analysis montreal is giving us is the right one, he is behind Harris, the team is relatively weak up front and he lacks a bit of luck. In my mind he is still a very good prospect. Again, he just turned 20.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Slowly starting to drop under Jackeye in my Def prospect list.

I'd have to watch him more, maybe someone could weight in on this but so far Xhekaj this year > Struble

You have to be careful about guys that are 20, soon to be 21, and 6’4 225lbs in the OHL. It’s nice that he’s showing something but I would temper excitement since he should be at least this good.

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
You just said you did not watch a single game of him this year or ever. So you should not be as definitive on him. I remember that Struble was on a one point per game stretch, around 15 games, covering the end of his first year and the begining of his second, until he got injured again. I think the analysis montreal is giving us is the right one, he is behind Harris, the team is relatively weak up front and he lacks a bit of luck. In my mind he is still a very good prospect. Again, he just turned 20.
There is many reason why a junior player like struble cannot produce on a regular basis. But I hope you don’t believe thats he gonna start to produce in the NHL if he isnt able right now. To play a top 4 dman. You need to add point on board in the nhl

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Just look at Jeff Petry if you want to calm down. He played his first season in the NCAA at 20 and his stats per game at 20 and 21 were lower than those of Struble last year at 19. Struble's stats this year are the oddity when you look at his first two years. Calm down. Most defensmen need time.

There is many reason why a junior player like struble cannot produce on a regular basis. But I hope you don’t believe thats he gonna start to produce in the NHL if he isnt able right now. To play a top 4 dman. You need to add point on board in the nhl

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

Tools are there to dominate at NHL level. Good skating ability, good hitting ability, good at defense zone.

Struble have more tools to become a pretty good defenseman than Norlinder.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Just look at Jeff Petry if you want to calm down. He played his first season in the NCAA at 20 and his stats per game at 20 and 21 were lower than those of Struble last year at 19. Struble's stats this year are the oddity when you look at his first two years. Calm down. Most defensmen need time.
I prefer compare league by league, age by age. It makes a better picture imo. At 18, petry had the same ppg than john carlsson at 17. Carlsson is better but petry is not so far. Struble played in H-east. Petry in the CCHA according to hfboards

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Tools are there to dominate at NHL level. Good skating ability, good hitting ability, good at defense zone.

Struble have more tools to become a pretty good defenseman than Norlinder.

I think we'll be lucky if he becomes a 3rd pairing D, hardly dominating.

His hockey IQ always was dubious, it still is, he may have great physical potential, but if he doesn't know what to do with his tools, we'll just have another bust on our hands.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not sure why we keep emphazing the incredible athelete feature.....Joe Stejskal TOO was seen as an incredible great athlete.

Yeah he destroyed the Combine. But how did he fell at 46? I guess we are about to find about if athlete can be good enough to surpass IQ. But at one point will we again blame development if he's unable to?

Was looking at the 2015 Combine. Here are the guys that did the best being in the top 10 of most exercices:
Brendan Guhle: 6 out of 10
Erik Foley : 4
Jack Eichel: 5
Jesse Gabrielle: 4
Karch Bachman: 5
Mathieu Joseph: 4

Some good, some bads. It,s better to be in shape, though some will say that if a prospect can be so dominant without being in shape, imagine what he could when he'll be. Others will then reply that if he didn't feel like being shape until then, he won't find it later on. to each their own.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

True. There are some people. But it's clearly not the norm. In comparison, you will obviously find WAY more players that succeeded statswise in their junior year and will never achieve anything in the NHL. And you also find more players that will have great success in their 3rd year while just being bottom players in the NHL

Players that didn't crush it all in juniors and succeeded solely based on stats? Yeah, there are a few. Tom Gilbert. Ryan McDonagh. Surely a few others. But it,s clearly not the norm.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00