The Draft Analyst: 2024 Mock Draft (Post-Lottery 1-32)

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

Just remember at least one top-ranked kid from CSB's final list drop every year. Last year it was Wood, Ritchie, and Hameenaho (and Benson to a degree). Before that it was Kemell, LDBB, and Howard. Before that it was a Raty, etc.

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
It seems to me like it's your rankings and not your mock draft. For instance, Iginla at 3 might be a justified positioning if we say which player we believe will have a better career, but is it plausible that he's drafted 3rd? He's not close on Bob Mckenzie's list, I've never heard anything about the Ducks scouts particularly loving him. What makes you believe that it's plausible that Iginla goes at 3?

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Flames will most certainly not pick two defenders in the 1st. Even though I love both defenceman (been touring Zeev as the best D prospect this year since January).

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
This is the wildest mock draft I've seen yet. Almost no way Tij goes top 3 and Catton goes top 5. None the less the Hawks picking a goalie after we picked the first one in last years draft.

I'm pretty sure the Ducks publicly said they are targeting a defenseman. I could be wrong

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Fun list. Not for it's predictive value, but I liked the surprise pick element. Two lists in one, baby. As others have said, feels more like a ranking than a mock. We will see.

I'm in BC, but Tij going to Calgary feels right. He's first mentioned here in the two spot. I don't see it.

Reactions: Steve Kournianos

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
People always get so pissy when anyone deviates from the “consensus”. But then the actual draft happens. And it’s always as crazy as any of the “crazy” mock drafts people got offended by.

Just remember at least one top-ranked kid from CSB's final list drop every year. Last year it was Wood, Ritchie, and Hameenaho (and Benson to a degree). Before that it was Kemell, LDBB, and Howard. Before that it was a Raty, etc.
Fun read. Thanks for unlocking this. I used to really like to read your stuff and listen to your podcast. Unfortunately I have content subscription bankruptcy. Haha if ever you find you can monetize from ads rather than subscriptions, I’ll be happy to consume the content again. I always liked it.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Vanacker would indeed be a surprise pick at14.
The guy is barely a 2nd rounder

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
At this point we are seeing these random people with a website making wild draft predictions just for clicks.

It’s embarrassing

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
At this point we are seeing these random people with a website making wild draft predictions just for clicks.

It’s embarrassing

Random people write annual 200-page draft reports and spend 160 hours in three weeks watching film of European junior leagues? Wow. Guess I need to step my game up.
Anyway, enough of you.

Moving on, there is too much front-office turnover to identify trends. Drafting for need is becoming more of a rarity in R1 and teams clearly dont give a shit what fans and analysts think. As expected, draft coverage is an echo chamber where most people stick to a consensus and it’s reflected in mock drafts. f*** that. That doesn’t sound like fun, nor is it realistic on draft day.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Fun list. Not for it's predictive value, but I liked the surprise pick element. Two lists in one, baby. As others have said, feels more like a ranking than a mock. We will see.

I'm in BC, but Tij going to Calgary feels right. He's first mentioned here in the two spot. I don't see it.

Here’s the thing with Iginla — look at the majority of teams in the lottery. The usual suspects and all have loaded systems. The conditions are ripe for Anaheim or New Jersey or Buffalo to trade the pick, and if not, go BPA all the way and in some cases, assume greater risk. I think at least three teams picking ahead of Calgary love Iginla and know the Flames want him, which is why I anticipate a top-5 landing spot.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Random people write annual 200-page draft reports and spend 160 hours in three weeks watching film of European junior leagues? Wow. Guess I need to step my game up.
Anyway, enough of you.

Moving on, there is too much front-office turnover to identify trends. Drafting for need is becoming more of a rarity in R1 and teams clearly dont give a shit what fans and analysts think. As expected, draft coverage is an echo chamber where most people stick to a consensus and it’s reflected in mock drafts. f*** that. That doesn’t sound like fun, nor is it realistic on draft day.

Anyone with a website can write anything they want. Doesn’t make them credible.

I also remember you calling me out for my take on Power regarding his questionable hockey IQ.

Take a look at his development and the Sabres forum and most of their complaints regarding him. Seems I was right so far about him as well.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
It seems to me like it's your rankings and not your mock draft. For instance, Iginla at 3 might be a justified positioning if we say which player we believe will have a better career, but is it plausible that he's drafted 3rd? He's not close on Bob Mckenzie's list, I've never heard anything about the Ducks scouts particularly loving him. What makes you believe that it's plausible that Iginla goes at 3?

1. Ducks never draft Russian leaguers and I think after Demidov and Silayev there is a gap. Could be an ownership thing or a Madden thing, but it’s still a thing.

2. Doubtful you or anyone not working in the NHL scouting community knows what Ducks scouts are thinking.

3. McKenzie’s list after the lock top-4 was slightly off last year. He had Perreault at 10, Simashev at 16, But at 22, Danielson at 16, Willander at 20. Iginla is shooting up all rankings. Even Bob said so. If he’s 10 before the combine and presumably before his scouts saw the U18s, then top-5 is realistic. Someone is going to fall. I think it’s Lindstrom, especially if the top-6 is 3/6 defense

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Anyone with a website can write anything they want. Doesn’t make them credible.

I also remember you calling me out for my take on Power regarding his questionable hockey IQ.

Take a look at his development and the Sabres forum and most of their complaints regarding him. Seems I was right so far about him as well.

Self own!!!

“Anyone can write anything on the internet! Doesn’t make them credible. Oh, by the way, here are rando fans on a message board proving my point”

• Haha
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad