Prospect Info: Jayden Struble Part 2

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I prefer compare league by league, age by age. It makes a better picture imo. At 18, petry had the same ppg than john carlsson at 17. Carlsson is better but petry is not so far. Struble played in H-east. Petry in the CCHA according to hfboards

check the stats again as Petry didn't go to the NCAA till he was 19 and turned 20 2 months into the season (he's a late B-day) so for his age 17 and age 18 seasons he was in the USHL. It shows some great scouting by the oilers in '06 because Petry's numbers in the USHL were terrible as he had 1 g and 14 a in 48 games, but did have a big playoffs that year.

The next year he crushed it in the USHL in what was his age 19 season (he started the year at 18 but turned 19 in Dec, 2 months into the season).

Petry was pretty good in the NCAA during his 3 years there, at age 20, 21 and 22.

Not sure why we keep emphazing the incredible athelete feature.....Joe Stejskal TOO was seen as an incredible great athlete.

Yeah he destroyed the Combine. But how did he fell at 46? I guess we are about to find about if athlete can be good enough to surpass IQ. But at one point will we again blame development if he's unable to?

I don't recall what Stejskal's combine was like but they don't compare other then both liked to hit. Struble looks more like a NFL running back with that compact frame, he looks very strong though likely could use more work on his lower body. The question is can he improve his offensive game enough, learn to keep his cool as he can be a bit of a hot head at times, and his overall IQ is still a tough one to say at this point. I doubt he'll ever be a high IQ player like Harris but his game is about power.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't recall what Stejskal's combine was like but they don't compare other then both liked to hit. Struble looks more like a NFL running back with that compact frame, he looks very strong though likely could use more work on his lower body. The question is can he improve his offensive game enough, learn to keep his cool as he can be a bit of a hot head at times, and his overall IQ is still a tough one to say at this point. I doubt he'll ever be a high IQ player like Harris but his game is about power.

Still, as I showed before, Brendan Guhle finished in 6 top 10 in the 2015 combine. Taylor Lewington dominated another. Lewington had 3 1st place. Julien Gauthier was outstanding.

Look at that article....I mean it puts the combine so much in perspective.

NHL Scouting Combine: Does it Matter?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He is right, they are more focused on defense first, as they were ave about 1.7 goals per game due in part to missing an entire line from their top 6. His defensive game has improved although it helps that he's paired with a very solid stay at home type as he does like to rush the puck up ice.

He's also right as he creates things for sure but the problem as he even says is that it hasn't resulted in goals or him or others. So that makes it tougher to say about his offensive game as the chances are there for sure but it just always seems like nothing happens. He does these rushes up ice, moves the puck well or gets off a shot and rarely does it lead to a goal for NU. He's got to be very frustrated

Reactions: dralaf

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He is right, they are more focused on defense first, as they were ave about 1.7 goals per game due in part to missing an entire line from their top 6. His defensive game has improved although it helps that he's paired with a very solid stay at home type as he does like to rush the puck up ice.

He's also right as he creates things for sure but the problem as he even says is that it hasn't resulted in goals or him or others. So that makes it tougher to say about his offensive game as the chances are there for sure but it just always seems like nothing happens. He does these rushes up ice, moves the puck well or gets off a shot and rarely does it lead to a goal for NU. He's got to be very frustrated

DO you think he goes back next year or do we try to get both Struble and Harris signed?

Norlinder, Guhle, Harris and Struble arriving to Laval in one off-season would be insane.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
DO you think he goes back next year or do we try to get both Struble and Harris signed?

Norlinder, Guhle, Harris and Struble arriving to Laval in one off-season would be insane.

I think that it'll depend on what's happening in MTL. With Bergevin, I would have a hard time seeing Harris signing without some commitment from the Habs to have NHL minutes - same goes for Norlinder coming over. Knowing who might get possible NHL exposure will be critical... but it's a new leadership group with a different philosophy though and it's hard to judge. With Hughes, Gorton and an updated development strategy, our prospects might act very differently. I'd love to see them all in Laval.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

that's tough cause you don't want too many rookie blueliners in Laval and Struble could use another year at NU where he will be the main guy on the top pairing and PP for the 1st time. But then you will hear all year about how he wants to sign with boston from beat writers that don't even know simple NCAA rules. Physically of course he's ready for Laval, he's lost about a year of development to injuries and covid shortened season but I think it could work out in either direction assuming what the plan is with other D prospects and the NHL blueline as you have to have proper ice time for him to develop.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

+ Xhekaj

If all those guys are in Laval, except 1 (lets say Harris in the nhl), then the rockets d-group would look like:

Guhle - Brook
Norlinder - Fairbrother
Struble - Xhekaj

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
+ Xhekaj

If all those guys are in Laval, except 1 (lets say Harris in the nhl), then the rockets d-group would look like:

Guhle - Brook
Norlinder - Fairbrother
Struble - Xhekaj
That's a young core. I'm not sure about that. IMO, that's a better strategy to surround them with some steady veterans.

Reactions: Sagikev and frapp10

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Struble comments makes me think of McDonagh situation on his year 2 in Wisconsin. I think McDonagh had a leash to make sure he wasn't crossing the red line. Still, clearly year 4 will be crucial for Struble. No doubt that he will finish his whole 4 years in College.

Edit.

Last edited:

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Struble comments makes me think of McDonagh situation on his year 2 in Wisconsin. I think McDonagh had a leash to make sure he wasn't crossing the red line. Still, clearly year 3 will be crucial for Struble. And maybe we should not be surprised to see another one that plays his whole 4 years there.
isn't he in year 3 already?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
isn't he in year 3 already?

lol You're right. My bad. I thought he was at year 2. Shows how much I'm following him.....not have a lot of expectations for him. But can't give up that soon.

Reactions: bcv

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It would be dumb to give up so early on a prospect like him. His ceiling is sky high. Things haven't been the best but still plenty of time for him to blossom into a top defender.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
It would be dumb to give up so early on a prospect like him. His ceiling is sky high. Things haven't been the best but still plenty of time for him to blossom into a top defender.
We won’t give up until he is gonna be to 24 yo but right now, his progression curve isn’t really impressive. I heard lack of hockey IQ. He will need to be really good defensively if he wants to play in the NHL

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
3rd pairing defender who stretches to a 4 for a time when he gets to his prime. Nothing wrong with that for a 2nd round pick

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His wild raw style of play reminded me of another pretty good D named Chelios. Doubt we have that in this case though. Injuries are a big concern too. At that age having those types of injuries (torn groins)

he reminds me a bit of Chelios as he's clearly very physical and has a bit of a temper. I just have to question how good is he at hockey vs how good the physical tools are of strength, skating, speed as it's clear as day he's got NHL strength, skating and speed.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
His wild raw style of play reminded me of another pretty good D named Chelios. Doubt we have that in this case though. Injuries are a big concern too. At that age having those types of injuries (torn groins)

I like that comparison of style. I'm really high on Struble, he is going to be at least a great third pairing defenseman, but the tools to become a solid top 4 is there for sure.

Reactions: azcanuck

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Happens all the time in the NFL. The Combine superstars who can run and jump faster than anyone. But can they play football?

that's what's worried me about him. But to be fair he's always been in Harris's shadow because with Harris the kid is just so smart, so smooth out there whereas with Struble he can be his own worst enemy at times. But we have never seen it where he's the go to guy, top pairing and top PP blueliner as that's always been Harris's job.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't know if it's been brought up yet, but the GM's oldest son, who Gorton drafted when he was with NYR and is a current teammate of Harris and Struble, he was teammates of Struble's while they were in the USHS together at St. Sebastian's. Both were among the teams top players (Hughes led the team in points, Struble the top scoring D)

So Hughes likely knows Struble real well since his son has been teammates with Struble for 4 years (3 at NU, 1 at St. Seb)

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I don't know if it's been brought up yet, but the GM's oldest son, who Gorton drafted when he was with NYR and is a current teammate of Harris and Struble, he was teammates of Struble's while they were in the USHS together at St. Sebastian's. Both were among the teams top players (Hughes led the team in points, Struble the top scoring D)

So Hughes likely knows Struble real well since his son has been teammates with Struble for 4 years (3 at NU, 1 at St. Seb)

yeah Struble said he knew Hughes since he was 11-12 or something

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Too many forget that Struble is only four months older than Guhle. So yes he was drafted in 2019, but he was the youngest player of the draft. I still consider him a very good prospect. I hope he will leave college and play with Laval in a month or so.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Too many forget that Struble is only four months older than Guhle. So yes he was drafted in 2019, but he was the youngest player of the draft. I still consider him a very good prospect. I hope he will leave college and play with Laval in a month or so.

Struble have all tools to play in NHL, even if it's on third pairing, he is going to be a rock defenseman. I really like him!

Top 4 potential is there, for sure.

Reactions: dralaf

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I hope Struble will turn pro in a few weeks. He is for months older than Guhle.

The good thing with Harris turning pro next year will be Struble getting his minutes on the top PP unit. W will see what Struble is made of next year and weither he is worth signing or not.

Tuch has been my biggest desappointment this year, still hasnt figured how to play away from the puck and forgot how to play with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad