Player Discussion Jay Beagle

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
When in the lineup...his record with the Canucks speaks for itself..
What is the record now?
It was a pretty major reason why we started winning..it freed up Horvat into a more offensive role...Canucks are pretty strong at centre in my opinion...

Any decent UFA would be overpaid..they all are by definition..arent they?
Not all free agents are overpaid....where did you find that definition.
Only close to a wildcard spot because we're in a weak division?..Are'nt we supposed to be bottom consensus 5 team..?
Only doing well because of a Markstrom hot streak, and EP?...Last time I checked, both players played for the Vancouver Canucks
This team would be better with cheaper options ( Gaunce,Archibald etc..?) on it, than Beagle,Roussel,Eriksson and whatnot..?..I get Eriksson,but disagree on the rest..,but ok.
Very bitter post....
So what were they? Only close to a playoff team because of the weak west or are they a consensus bottom 5...seems you're arguing both angles.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Exactly what Benning said it was for..

-Green and Benning identified the bottom 6 from last year as a liability..There needed to be an upgrade with proven NHL players..
-Instead of signing a top 6 UFA like Bozak,JVR,Neal.(which would have ripped the team a new one in $ and term)...They concentrated on the bottom half of their forward roster, and gambled with the young players in the top 6
-With the Sedins gone ,and the Canucks having younger players coming in, they also valued Beagles leadership skills.
-There was a bidding war for Beagles services...Also,as a rebuilding team ..you have to overpay (UFA's prefer to go to a contender do they not?)
-After suffering a broken forearm...that might affect your face-off %..?
-The Canucks don't have a top heavy salary structure (yet),...$3m per is $600K above the league average.
Every NHL team should have a top heavy salary structure.

The bottom 6 wasn't even a liability last year. It's worse this year and 10x more expensive.

The PK has improved less than 2% and the PP has gone from 9th to 29th.

That you were still parroting this garbage in January is nonsensical, just as you always bringing it back to some consensus expectation.
Benning decided to bolster his bottom 6...Most teams spend most of their cash on the top 6 or D....So Benning went against the grain a bit....Are there rules about how much you pay a player according to what line he plays on..?.Has this strategy failed?...(as we're flirting with a wildcard spot).

The amount of money allotted to players is a problem,.. if its a problem...and its not a problem.

Again,...most teams have a top heavy salary structure, we currently do not.....When that time comes, and eventually it will, there will be plenty of expiring contracts,trades and other moves that will happen to facilitate paying our top players.

The idea the organization needed to bolster the bottom 6 made no sense in the summer and makes even less sense now.

Beagle is performing at best at the same level as Nic Dowd did last year. What did they bolster?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What is the record now?

Not all free agents are overpaid....where did you find that definition.

So what were they? Only close to a playoff team because of the weak west or are they a consensus bottom 5...seems you're arguing both angles.
Injuries hit (oh yeah, we're not allowed to use that excuse).1/3 of the rebuilding team is injured..It happens..Canucks now are tied in the league for most man games lost.

I would say a consensus bottom 5 team would have to overpay for a 'decent' (not a scrub) UFA..and 'decent' UFA's generally get overpaid in UFA.

A consensus bottom 5 team shouldn't even be a in any playoff conversation...Who cares if the West is weak, and Markstrom is playing well?..The poster I was speaking to was obviously not happy at the time (that the Canuck were flirting with a playoff spot).

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Beagle is a shutdown centre....81.3% d-zone starts, and is 54.9 % on the dot..He wasn't brought here to score.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Beagle is a shutdown centre....81.3% d-zone starts, and is 54.9 % on the dot..He wasn't brought here to score.

Too bad he hasn't been very good at shutting anyone down either. Especially, after all according to you, the Canucks are rebuilding around this guy. You would expect he would at least be good at the job he's paid to do.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Injuries hit (oh yeah, we're not allowed to use that excuse).1/3 of the rebuilding team is injured..It happens..Canucks now are tied in the league for most man games lost.

I would say a consensus bottom 5 team would have to overpay for a 'decent' (not a scrub) UFA..and 'decent' UFA's generally get overpaid in UFA.

A consensus bottom 5 team shouldn't even be a in any playoff conversation...Who cares if the West is weak, and Markstrom is playing well?..The poster I was speaking to was obviously not happy at the time (that the Canuck were flirting with a playoff spot).
You can use injuries all you want, it's the ol' go-to for the GM. Where are you getting your man games lost numbers? I'm just assuming you're not going to dig up the canucks record with Beagle in the lineup.

Who were the other teams you considered to be consensus bottom 5 before the season started. I'd also argue Beagle is the epitome of a scrub free agent. None of the other teams I'd have considered consensus bottom 5 teams even bothered chasing free agents, but I certainly would rather have Grabner than Beagle at this stage. I didn't post here in July, but Grabner and a player like Filpulla were the types of free agents I was interested in. Ones who can move up and down the lineup and actually insulate young skilled players.

Seems as though the poster you were arguing with was looking at the total picture, not the snapshots you like to. All the metrics, and I mean all of them, pointed to exactly what has happened.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Goals fly into his teams net at a nearly identical rate to how they flew in against Nic Dowd last year, and Nicky D didn't have the benefit of a goalie performing at a Vezina level for the majority of the season like Sir Jay has.

It's like you don't even understand when you post stuff like this that it actually hurts your position. The role he plays and faceoffs being his main strength don't actually affect the game like you want them to.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Well, when you bring back the group of players that is constantly getting injured every year and do almost nothing to address organizational depth issues year after year to help handle predictable injury issues, then no you don't get to use that excuse. This is the 4th year in a row where Benning has played the injury excuse, which in itself is a total self own as it's his direct responsibility to build organizational depth to overcome inevitable injuries.

4 of the 5 top man games lost teams made the playoffs last year. Good teams have enough good players to overcome injuries.

Ok well the Oilers, a definitive bottom 5 team, were able to sign Kyle Brodziak, a more effective 4th liner than Beagle for $1.15MM for only 2 years. Brad Richardson with Arizona, $1.25MM. I don't buy it.

We gave Beagle the "thank you for your service" contract that Washington would have if they weren't so tight to the cap. He solidered for them, fought in the trenches and wore himself down, and now we're the one's pinning the medal on him for some reason.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You can use injuries all you want, it's the ol' go-to for the GM. Where are you getting your man games lost numbers? I'm just assuming you're not going to dig up the canucks record with Beagle in the lineup.

Who were the other teams you considered to be consensus bottom 5 before the season started. I'd also argue Beagle is the epitome of a scrub free agent. None of the other teams I'd have considered consensus bottom 5 teams even bothered chasing free agents, but I certainly would rather have Grabner than Beagle at this stage. I didn't post here in July, but Grabner and a player like Filpulla were the types of free agents I was interested in. Ones who can move up and down the lineup and actually insulate young skilled players.

Seems as though the poster you were arguing with was looking at the total picture, not the snapshots you like to. All the metrics, and I mean all of them, pointed to exactly what has happened.
Man-Games Lost NHL‏ @ManGamesLostNHL
FollowFollow @ManGamesLostNHL
More
From Thursday, NHL top 5, points in standings lost due to injured players (Lost-ps metric, lost point shares due to injured players) 1 VAN 17.6 points lost 2 LAK 17.6 3 BOS 16.5 4 ARI 16.1 5 STL 16.0

Beagle is a scrub free agent..again,..your opinion

Consensus bottom 5 teams:
Way-too-early 2018-19 NHL Power Rankings

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
More
From Thursday, NHL top 5, points in standings lost due to injured players (Lost-ps metric, lost point shares due to injured players) 1 VAN 17.6 points lost 2 LAK 17.6 3 BOS 16.5 4 ARI 16.1 5 STL 16.0

Boston, 2nd in the Eastern conference.
St. Louis, playoff team
Arizona, Wildcard team.

Lol.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
More

People act like injuries are this random act of god, but the Canucks have 4 guys who have had injury issues every-season for a long time now (Edler, Sutter, Baertschi, Tanev). That they keep bringing these guys back over and over again (including talking about extending Edler and Tanev) is their own fault.

Aside from those 4, the Canucks have a pretty conventional injury profile.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Boston, 2nd in the Eastern conference.
St. Louis, playoff team
Arizona, Wildcard team.

Lol.
Lol what?....St Louis and Boston were not projected to be bottom feeders at the beginning of the season..They had the depth at the beginning of the year to overcome it...Where were we predicted to finish where again?

Arizona are now in their 7th year into their rebuild (upon rebuild..3 trips to the playoffs in 15 years), and no post season play..and are 4 points ahead of the Canucks...Impressive.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
More

That stat isn't man games lost but thanks for that info.

Beagle is a scrub free agent, he's a 4th liner player, ie, he's at best the 10th most important forward on a team. That's why he's a 4th liner, because 4th liners are scrubs.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
People act like injuries are this random act of god, but the Canucks have 4 guys who have had injury issues every-season for a long time now (Edler, Sutter, Baertschi, Tanev). That they keep bringing these guys back over and over again (including talking about extending Edler and Tanev) is their own fault.

Aside from those 4, the Canucks have a pretty conventional injury profile.
That statistic doesn't even show the actual man games lost, it's an equation attempting to equate value to the players who were injured. If you go to the twitter account POM linked, the Canucks are NOT in the bottom 5 for man games lost.

Reactions: Burke's Evil Spirit

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Hilarious how when the stat about Beagle having scored one goal on a goalie this year is mentioned the retort is that he was brought in to be a shutdown center and not to score, yet when discussing Gaunce you'll constantly hear about him having no goals therefore he is garbage.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I would much rather have Beagle over Sutter; Beagle actually has a pulse and pushes back. Beagle also makes 3M compared to Sutter’s 4.38M.

The Canucks absolutely have to move out Sutter this summer (which will be difficult to do) and then the Beagle signing would be decent as they will have a veteran C to help carry the load for our 3 young centres.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He was ABSOLUTELY brought here to either a) score acceptable numbers for his role or b) be so absolutely amazing defensively that he can saw off his minutes without scoring.

If Beagle was producing at the 10-10-20 rate he scored at earlier his career, he’d be useful.

But when you’re decent defensively but utterly horrible offensively and have 1 goal on a goalie in March ... you’re going to be bleeding goals and a liability. You can’t play close to 15 minutes/game and produce this little.

Reactions: cookiefest

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hilarious how when the stat about Beagle having scored one goal on a goalie this year is mentioned the retort is that he was brought in to be a shutdown center and not to score, yet when discussing Gaunce you'll constantly hear about him having no goals therefore he is garbage.

Also Gaunce has produced just fine when given 12-15 minutes/game and better than Beagle.

He just struggled to produce when playing 8 minutes/game, which is normal.

Reactions: vanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad