Player Discussion Jay Beagle

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
On paper, he looks like a better fit than Sutter for a shutdown center. I like the player enough that the signing isn't terrible to me. Bad for length, not terrible overall, I think I will like Beagle.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
ECHL, AHL, and NHL Championship.
That's got to be rare AF... anyone know?

like the player. don't like the idea of having him until he is 37.

Well.. it's not like he'll be playing games for us when he's 37.
We have him for his 33,34,35,36 yr old seasons.

We have him for an extra yr. But good for him, will be good for us.

3 quality PKers added.
We better see some improvement on our 21st PK

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
ECHL, AHL, and NHL Championship.
That's got to be rare AF... anyone know?

Well.. it's not like he'll be playing games for us when he's 37.
We have him for his 33,34,35,36 yr old seasons.

We have him for an extra yr. But good for him, will be good for us.

3 quality PKers added.
We better see some improvement on our 21st PK

What do you think he'll be doing at age 37 if not playing games for the Canucks? Traded to someone who wants him at that age? Buried in the minors (provided his no trade provisions allow it)? Retired? Bought out?

Do you predict that there will in fact be an improvement in the PK? (I think there'll be no significant change, unless there are trades to come that will change the personnel.)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So not a bad deal i suppose and this must mean Sutter on his way out which is needed

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If we were a contending team, needed another defensive center/PK guy, and signed him for 1-2 years at $1-1.5 million this would be a solid signing.

Instead, we're bad team who didn't need him (he'll be a downgrade on Sutter as the #3 center and frees up Sutter to be a disaster as the #2 center) and we're paying him $12 million.

Negative-value asset from the day the contract was signed. Will be lucky if he isn't a buyout candidate before the contract is half over.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The signing is fine if it was on a 2 year deal and about 500k/1m cheaper

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What do you think he'll be doing at age 37 if not playing games for the Canucks? Traded to someone who wants him at that age? Buried in the minors (provided his no trade provisions allow it)? Retired? Bought out?

Do you predict that there will in fact be an improvement in the PK? (I think there'll be no significant change, unless there are trades to come that will change the personnel.)

Not sure if serious... :huh:

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I wouldn't hate this signing as much if we were a playoff/contending team in need of a 4C. But for where this team is right now it makes no sense. He'll be turning 33 a week into the season, he's slow, and isn't a creative offensive player. That type of player being injected into this roster is completely counter-intuitive when they should becoming younger, faster, and more exciting.

What makes it worse is the mindset of plugging him into a defensive position to move Sutter up to start more in the O zone which is insane.

Giving a 33 year old 4th liner a 4 year term with a NTC will almost certainly never work out, he could be easily be a potential buyout candidate after two seasons, maybe after one.

Reactions: VintageBure and MS

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I really like this particular signing a lot. Beagle is a character guy in the room and can help assist a lot of the younger guys up front.

I don't like the Roussel one as much and I'm indifferent to Schaller but I understand acquiring a vet up front who is coming off a cup championship and has been around the block.

Feb 19, 2018
We aquired the best forth line in Hockey today and a top penalty killing unit in the league.
We basically added all of our teams grit today as well with the three guys signed.

It’s a win in the room for sure and the player appreciate it 100%

No Bo blocking shots on the Pk breaking feet/ankles or playing the Gaudette’s of the world on the fourth line,does nothing for him or this team.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
On paper, he looks like a better fit than Sutter for a shutdown center. I like the player enough that the signing isn't terrible to me. Bad for length, not terrible overall, I think will like Beagle.
On any team that isn't the Canucks.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
If we were a contending team, needed another defensive center/PK guy, and signed him for 1-2 years at $1-1.5 million this would be a solid signing.

Instead, we're bad team who didn't need him (he'll be a downgrade on Sutter as the #3 center and frees up Sutter to be a disaster as the #2 center) and we're paying him $12 million.

Negative-value asset from the day the contract was signed. Will be lucky if he isn't a buyout candidate before the contract is half over.
Any gains made defensively from playing Beagle will be offset by the increase usage of Sutter. If it is true that Sutter will be the 2nd line C, you will see him play like 17-18 min per game and Beagle play 13-15 min and Schaller will get like 10-12. Can you imagine 40 minutes these 3 black holes on the ice every game.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
the thing with outbidding every team on a contract for a player without upside is the contract is instantly negative value.

Typically it just gets more acrimonious as time goes on and if you project it over 4 yrs at a entry point for a roster player (4th line) and the prospect is not Elias Pettersson than that just creates roster problems.

Nothing like helping yourself mildly for a season or 2 for a complete mis management of your owners money and a future headache for the Coach and your prospect development.

There would have been nothing wrong with overpaying Beagle on a 2 yr deal and 3 would have been bad but somewhat palatable if Roussel wasn't coming along for that same stupid ride.

Another black mark today............and i like Beagle but this is not smart management

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad