Rumor: Jason Zucker to Calgary "fell through"

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
That's not a trade that fits Treliving's style or philosophy though.

I don't know much about Treliving, and his style as you're referring to.

But it does seem to me that him switching up his GM style slightly as the GM of the team leading the western conference to shore up for a playoff run is more likely than Fenton trading Zucker for a 1st and whats essentially a cap dump to the Wild. Fenton's made it abundently clear he's got no interest in going out of his way to acquire picks.

Zucker is better than Bennet today. He's a soon to be 4 time 20 goal scorer, and scored 33 last year. On pace for 20 again this year in our extremely anemic offense. I don't think it's a stretch to think a contending GM would make that trade, and it fits in with what Fenton has been trying.

The only other player that makes a bit of sense from the Wild's perspective is Jankowski.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Sounds like Calgary dodged a bullet

Unless it was neal going back anyway. That could be interesting

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

But it does seem to me that him switching up his GM style slightly as the GM of the team leading the western conference to shore up for a playoff run is more likely than Fenton trading Zucker for a 1st and whats essentially a cap dump to the Wild. Fenton's made it abundently clear he's got no interest in going out of his way to acquire picks.

Zucker is better than Bennet today. He's a soon to be 4 time 20 goal scorer, and scored 33 last year. On pace for 20 again this year in our extremely anemic offense. I don't think it's a stretch to think a contending GM would make that trade, and it fits in with what Fenton has been trying.

The only other player that makes a bit of sense from the Wild's perspective is Jankowski.

Calgary is not in a position to take on Zucker's 4 more years a 5.5M without one of Frolik or Neal going back. That's just the logistics of the situation. Maybe that's what ultimately stopped the trade from occurring.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
A calgary media member said the deal was "much bigger" than simply Frolik and a 1st. Don't know what that means. I think both sides are happy this one didnt play out.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

I guess we’ll probably never know. Definitely doesn’t make sense for the Flames to lose 2 roster players, that are producing at a similar pace, for Zucker heading into the playoffs. I would guess the other piece was probably a none roster player/replaceable kid, like Kylington in exchange for some significant retention on Zucker.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not really. All of Fenton's moves make no sense, so Frolik +1st would make perfect sense.

Does that make sense?
I wouldn't say they don't make sense, just that the "value" seems way below expectations for the sorts of deals they were. With Coyle and Granlund in particular though the main piece was a younger player with upside; I'd expect something similar with Zucker if he's traded.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wouldn't say they don't make sense, just that the "value" seems way below expectations for the sorts of deals they were. With Coyle and Granlund in particular though the main piece was a younger player with upside; I'd expect something similar with Zucker if he's traded.
He just wants to dump Zucker's salary at this point. Parise, Donato, Fial, Greenway...need I say more?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He just wants to dump Zucker's salary at this point. Parise, Donato, Fial, Greenway...need I say more?
I think that's simplistic. Losing salary's a natural consequence of moving 25-27 year olds for 22-24 year olds, but I don't think it was the reason for those trades.

I'm curious to see what actually sunk this trade. Russo mentioned that Fenton was courting other teams for Granlund in case the Fiala deal didn't happen; if Zucker to Calgary was another backup plan it'd be kind of funny if Fenton himself was the one that pulled the plug. It'd explain why Treliving was so mad.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Frolik has been the sixth best forward for the second best team in the NHL.

No he has not. At best he has been the eighth best forward for the second best team in the NHL. His handful of empty-net goals don't put him ahead of anyone. At the very least the two of Sam Bennett and Derek Ryan have been better and more impactful.

And as penalty killers, which is Frolik's primary role, both Jankowski and Hathaway have outplayed him too. Czarnik and Mangiapane are also more valuable to the team although they can't play Frolik's role.

And we would have traded him for a player who is quite a bit better than him in Zucker.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Zucker for Russell and Puljujarvi :D make it happen

McDrai on the first line and Zucker-RNH on the second.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017

Bennett, Jankowski+ Doesn’t get you Zucker. Fenton has made it abundantly clear he’s going for high skill gamebreakers a la TBL.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Why would the wild need frolik? need centers and RS right wingers and he's 31 not 23.Had to be bennett
Nah..would never be a draft pick + 22 year old Bennett (on pace for 33 pts) for 27 year old Zucker who's on pace to score 40 pts this year. Wouldn't make sense for the Flames.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Nah..would never be a draft pick + 22 year old Bennett (on pace for 33 pts) for 27 year old Zucker who's on pace to score 40 pts this year. Wouldn't make sense for the Flames.

You wouldn't trade a third line winger with a career high of 36 points, and on pace for 33 points this year for a guy in his prime coming off a 33 goal, 64 point season signed to a reasonable contract for the next four years?

See, look, I can frame things to fit my narrative too.

Reactions: cgf

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You wouldn't trade a third line winger with a career high of 36 points, and on pace for 33 points this year for a guy in his prime coming off a 33 goal, 64 point season signed to a reasonable contract for the next four years?

Lets compare apples to apples. At 22 Zucker scored 5 pts in 21 games. This translates to 20 pts over an 82 game season. At 23 Zucker scored 26 pts in 51 games which translates to 40 pts in 82 games. At 24 Zucker declined to 23 pts in 71 games which translates to a 27 pt season. At 25 Zucker scored 47 pts in 79 games. At 26 he finally got his shit together and scored 64 pts in 82 games. This year his game has declined once again. Last year was the exception not the norm.

At 22 Bennett is almost as good, scoring wise, and better otherwise than a 27 year old Zucker. When Bennett is 27 he'll be much better than Zucker. Treliving wouldn't trade Bennett for Zucker straight up... let alone with a 1st added in too.

Reactions: 1993

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

No sane Calgary fan would trade Sam Bennett for Jason Zucker, regardless of how you frame it.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

The problem with Zucker is that he’s really not that good. I don’t think most hockey fans, even in Minnesota, think Zucker could be relied upon to consistently produce 50-60 points a season.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Lets compare apples to apples. At 22 Zucker scored 5 pts in 21 games. This translates to 20 pts over an 82 game season. At 23 Zucker scored 26 pts in 51 games which translates to 40 pts in 82 games. At 24 Zucker declined to 23 pts in 71 games which translates to a 27 pt season. At 25 Zucker scored 47 pts in 79 games. At 26 he finally got his **** together and scored 64 pts in 82 games. This year his game has declined once again. Last year was the exception not the norm.

At 22 Bennett is almost as good, scoring wise, and better otherwise than a 27 year old Zucker. When Bennett is 27 he'll be much better than Zucker. Treliving wouldn't trade Bennett for Zucker straight up... let alone with a 1st added in too.

Not to mention cap implications. Zucker at 5.5 loses a lot of his appeal.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The problem with Zucker is that he’s really not that good. I don’t think most hockey fans, even in Minnesota, think Zucker could be relied upon to consistently produce 50-60 points a season.
No, he's probably good for 25G and 50-55P a season with second line minutes and linemates on most teams.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Let’s all argue value about a trade that didn’t happen and pieces we don’t know were included

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad