Rumor: Jason Zucker to Calgary "fell through"

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
well it is kind of terrible and goes against what the stated goal was...getting younger and faster. and i've pointed out before the lack of FA possibilities that cover what we need. (i mean if you want to beat the cap space drum). I don't believe Anders Lee is gonna be there for the taking. Brock Nelson is a slower Charlie Coyle and I doubt very much he'll be signed for less than what Coyle cost.
If it was just Zucker for Frolik and a pick, especially if that pick wasn't a 1st, I agree. At that point his stated goals don't mean much. His actual goal would've pretty clearly been to purge as many of Fletcher's guys as quickly as he could.

The free agency angle made more sense to me when we were freeing up a few million. At this point he's freed up way more than we could (or should) be spending on the guys that'll be available this summer. I have no idea what his plan for that space is; I suspect that there isn't a definite one.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If we're going by the podcast:

- the deal may have come together pretty late
- it may have fallen apart on Calgary's end
- the details probably leaked out from Calgary's end

Russo seemed to think he'd have more details by the end of the week, but if the above is true I'm not sure what beef Zucker's agents would have with Fenton. He should probably at least reach out to them if he hasn't already, though. Just going by his press interactions he does come off as someone that undervalues communication.

Have to assume if it was leaked out of Calgary's end, that they thought this deal was absolutely done.
With Brad Treliving being 'white hot' in terms of angry that this deal didn't come together, have to assume the Calgary side thought the deal was complete.

Calgary's one of the most tight lipped organizations in the NHL, going as far as our ex-president putting GM's on blast for having leaks about possible trades (Dougie for example).

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Neither Zucker or his agent have any grounds to be angry. They had to know when they negotiated his contract that there was a chance he could be moved prior to his NTC kicking in.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Fenton had the right to do it, but if there were verbal assurances to the contrary you're not just going to go "LOL good one Paul, you really pulled the wool over my eyes you scamp!" You can know it can happen but still be pissed about it actually happening if you were told something else. I have to think if they are pissed the only reason would be they were expecting something else...expecting something else for a reason, not just "surprised" as is sometimes the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad