Rumor: Jason Zucker to Calgary "fell through"

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Where did this Frolik and a 1st rumor originate? Russo and Lebrun seem to be mum.

Edit: This, apparently. Compelling stuff.
Yeah, that is literally the only place I've seen this "rumor". I can see Frolik/Zucker as a base though simply due to the Flames needing the space to add Zucker for next season

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No chance he blocked a deal
There is a very good chance he blocked a deal. Why would he want to go from the #2 team in the NHL to one selling their players? I get people assume he wants out because Walsh doesn't know how to think and tweet, but Walsh being his typical asshole self doesn't prove anything.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Lol yeah that was made up
In a vacuum I don't think it's crazy, but it's at odds with everything else Fenton has been doing. Nino, Coyle and Granlund all went basically player-for-player, but Zucker goes for a 1st (and Frolik who, whatever his merits, isn't a need and would mostly be there to make the cap work)? I don't buy it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If its true that Frolik blocked the deal I say the chances that Frolik gets traded this summer have now gone up significantly.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I think Zucker is an upgrade on Fro but I’m not sure he’s a 1st round pick better, especially given Calgary’s cap situation moving forward

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
There is a very good chance he blocked a deal. Why would he want to go from the #2 team in the NHL to one selling their players? I get people assume he wants out because Walsh doesn't know how to think and tweet, but Walsh being his typical ******* self doesn't prove anything.

To add. From a career perspective, if Frolik has a bad year next year, it's going to be awfully tough for him to get a new NHL contract. He's currently doing very well with the Flames, and he needs to maintain his consistent carreer long .5+ pace for other teams to look at him. Maintaining a good scoring pace on the wild would be extremely difficult right now.

Basically, moving to Minnesota right now would not only mean missing out on a cup drive but potentially be career suicide.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Darren Dreger regarding the Zucker situation
"I think it was a timing thing. But I haven't gotten through all the details coming out of Calgary. I can tell you that (I didn't talk to Brad Treliving directly) but I was told that he was white hot. So whether that's directed at Minnesota, whether that's directed at something internally, whether that's directed at the league.

Because I can tell you this, (...) there was a logjam, there always is, but there was a jam up at central registry so maybe it was just an issue of the queue being too long. But normally what happens is as long as the trade is filed, they still honour it, you just have to go through the process. We'll dig a little deeper and find out what the backstory is but I know Calgary wasn't pleased at all."

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
There is literally zero source to the Frolik rumor, and it makes absolutely zero sense for the moves Fenton has been making.

Bennet makes sense, and follows the Granlund-Fiala pattern exactly. Older, more proven and better right for a contending team for a player thats 22 year old with promise, but is worse right now.

Everything Fenton's been doing points to that as a much more likely scenario.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
There is literally zero source to the Frolik rumor, and it makes absolutely zero sense for the moves Fenton has been making.

Bennet makes sense, and follows the Granlund-Fiala pattern exactly. Older, more proven and better right for a contending team for a player thats 22 year old with promise, but is worse right now.

It could have been Bennett too, the rumour is 1st, Frolik, and something else. Frolik just to make the salary work is my guess, wouldn't have been the main player going to the Wild

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Treliving would not have made Bennett available.
It could have been Bennett too, the rumour is 1st, Frolik, and something else

That's a horrible trade for Calgary.

Bennett has just 7 less points than Zucker this season, is 4 years younger, cost controlled, and far more physical. That trade makes Calgary worse this year, and in the future.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

That's not a trade that fits Treliving's style or philosophy though.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I guess it was Zucker + the picks from the Granlund trade.
When they learned, there were no picks, the Flames hung up.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't really understand Calgary being interested with Gaudreau and Tkachuk already on the left side. Zucker's time on the right side is minimal at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad