Rumor: Jason Zucker to Calgary "fell through"

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Have you played the game haha. Gino’s are goals.
Nope... never played the game... sorry. Never even knew there was a game. All I knew was that Gino Reda is a hockey tv personality.

Also, if ginos are goals, I never said nor has anyone else said, that Bennett will score 30 goals in a season. I said he will score 30 PTS in a season.

Reactions: TFHockey

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
After a whirlwind day, Jason Zucker is still here to score a...

Dont have the athletic, so I’m trust cp they are right. Would’ve been frolik and a high pick (probably a first). Timing issue was why it didn’t happen, and it could be revisited at the draft IMO.
Not sure that it matters all that much, but the quote is:
Sources say it would have been for a package that included veteran Michael Frolik and a draft pick.

So it's hard to say. If it was Frolik and a 1st and Zucker was the only thing going back it's hard to see Calgary adding anything substantial. If it was Frolik and a 5th, I'd assume there was an appealing young player/prospect involved as well.

Frankly I don't get what Frolik does for us unless he's just in there to make the cap work for the meat of the deal. A 1st sort of makes sense, but seems at odds with what Fenton's been doing and saying.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

So it's hard to say. If it was Frolik and a 1st and Zucker was the only thing going back it's hard to see Calgary adding anything substantial. If it was Frolik and a 5th, I'd assume there was an appealing young player/prospect involved as well.

Frankly I don't get what Frolik does for us unless he's just in there to make the cap work for the meat of the deal. A 1st sort of makes sense, but seems at odds with what Fenton's been doing and saying.

Yeah I guess it was basically to make the cap work then Minny flips him in the summer or next years TDL for a 3rd or something since they have no immediate need for the cap space

They could even retain like 50% on him and maybe get a 2nd

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

It'd be for the cap, but it's weirdwl because Frolik isn't a traditional cap dump with no value.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It'd be for the cap, but it's weirdwl because Frolik isn't a traditional cap dump with no value.
I agree, he's not. I guess it's possible the trade request caused enough friction with management that they were willing to treat him as such in this case.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I agree, he's not. I guess it's possible the trade request caused enough friction with management that they were willing to treat him as such in this case.
There have never even been rumors of a trade request, people have just made assumptions based on Walsh being Walsh

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There have never even been rumors of a trade request, people have just made assumptions based on Walsh being Walsh
I must have misremembered then. Walsh alone can sometimes be enough friction for management to get fed up, though :laugh:

Anyway, the whole thing is weird but that's been kind of been par for the course with Minnesota lately.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I must have misremembered then. Walsh alone can sometimes be enough friction for management to get fed up, though :laugh:

Anyway, the whole thing is weird but that's been kind of been par for the course with Minnesota lately.
I'm not saying there wasn't a request, there could have been one. But yeah, the only thing we know is Walsh complained about Frolik getting scratched and accused Peters if trying to run him out of town. Then, Frolik got back in the lineup and started playing well and Walsh bragged about his production. Any talk of a trade request has been an assumption based on that. I personally believe itsi more Walsh than Frolik

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Interesting that Calgary seemed to have two deals, with Ottawa and Minnesota, fall through.

Word was that Ottawa insisted on a certain prospect (sorry Flames fans, I'm not up to date on prospects as I used to), I have to wonder if it was a similar scenario with Minnesota, Zucker is pretty damn solid.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Interesting that Calgary seemed to have two deals, with Ottawa and Minnesota, fall through.

Word was that Ottawa insisted on a certain prospect (sorry Flames fans, I'm not up to date on prospects as I used to), I have to wonder if it was a similar scenario with Minnesota, Zucker is pretty damn solid.

It was that Fenton demanded Treliving publicly say Fenton won the trade.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Four actually.

Reports have Simmonds refusing to waive to come to Calgary, speculation is that it is due to having a 6 month pregnant wife and no direct flights to Philly from Calgary.

Also it is rumored we had a deal for Edler but he chose not to waive when we couldn't come to terms on a contract extension.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Juuso Valimaki.
He's our top prospect bar none. Played his way onto the opening night roster, played solid for 20 odd games, got injured... Now on the farm:

20 years old, playing top PK, PP and top pair duties. 8 points in 11 games. Dude's our version of Brannstrom (taken literally right behind him), and there was an absolute refusal from Tre to move the kid.

As someone mentioned, there was thoughts that Calgary had deals for Hayes, Simmonds, Zucker, Stone and perhaps Edler. BT went big game hunting and came up empty handed... I love him standing pat on 1st rounders and our big prospects for rentals though, gives me confidence. This team has a long window in front of it, it didn't need to blow it's entire load this TDL.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
listening to Russo's podcast right now...Oh boy is Zucker pissed. Zuckers agents are pissed. Spurgeon has the same agents as Zucker. Spurge is due for a new contract next year. Fenton done goofed.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
listening to Russo's podcast right now...Oh boy is Zucker pissed. Zuckers agents are pissed. Spurgeon has the same agents as Zucker. Spurge is due for a new contract next year. Fenton done goofed.

Hopefully he channels that anger into production on the ice and increase his off-season trade value.

Reactions: 57special

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Hopefully he channels that anger into production on the ice and increase his off-season trade value.

will it matter?! the more i hear about Fenton's negotiating skills the more I think he's oblivious as to real life trade value.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
will it matter?! the more i hear about Fenton's negotiating skills the more I think he's oblivious as to real life trade value.
If we're going by the podcast:

- the deal may have come together pretty late
- it may have fallen apart on Calgary's end
- the details probably leaked out from Calgary's end

Russo seemed to think he'd have more details by the end of the week, but if the above is true I'm not sure what beef Zucker's agents would have with Fenton. He should probably at least reach out to them if he hasn't already, though. Just going by his press interactions he does come off as someone that undervalues communication.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
If we're going by the podcast:

- the deal may have come together pretty late
- it may have fallen apart on Calgary's end
- the details probably leaked out from Calgary's end

Russo seemed to think he'd have more details by the end of the week, but if the above is true I'm not sure what beef Zucker's agents would have with Fenton. He should probably at least reach out to them if he hasn't already, though. Just going by his press interactions he does come off as someone that undervalues communication.

he's contradicted himself in the press a few times (as Russo mentioned and i've commented before). We need to get faster ? So Coyle goes, Zucker (almost) goes, and Nino then we get Aberg and Donato and friggin Rask? Seriously do not doubt for a second he told Zucker's team one thing then did another. They probably didn't know about it until it got leaked.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
well it is kind of terrible and goes against what the stated goal was...getting younger and faster. and i've pointed out before the lack of FA possibilities that cover what we need. (i mean if you want to beat the cap space drum). I don't believe Anders Lee is gonna be there for the taking. Brock Nelson is a slower Charlie Coyle and I doubt very much he'll be signed for less than what Coyle cost.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
he's contradicted himself in the press a few times (as Russo mentioned and i've commented before). We need to get faster ? So Coyle goes, Zucker (almost) goes, and Nino then we get Aberg and Donato and friggin Rask? Seriously do not doubt for a second he told Zucker's team one thing then did another. They probably didn't know about it until it got leaked.
Can't say that'd surprise me. He does come off as a schmuck in interviews and conferences.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad