Player Discussion Jaroslav Halák

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Isles fan in peace. I wanted to see what you guys thought of Halak.

He has a history of playing well when he's the underdog and has something to prove. Send him to the minors and call him back, or demote him to second string, and he'll look like Brodeur reincarnated. When he's established as the starting goalie and gets comfortable :help:.

He probably gained a lot by facing constant two on ones last year. I'm sure the game looks a lot slower to him this year.

I'm pulling for him because I want Boston or Tampa to knock off Toronto, but he was maddening

Its true. He was hung out to dry last few seasons

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
Yeah watching him on the Isles the last few years I figured his stats would bounce back.

The Islanders were the biggest mess in their own zone in the league, it was bad.

Halak has the ability to absolutely dominate for short stretches, when he's motivated. Great playoff goalie. He's as talented as any goalie in the league but he's also the shortest goalie in the league (I think? The official 5'11" is generous he's no taller than 5'10") so he suffers on screened plays where the goalie is just hoping the puck hits them. Also has to challenge a ton as a result of his height where taller goalies can play deeper in the net.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Halak has looked great. I love when the bruins have two goalies they can use. It helps them stay healthy I find.

bruinfan000

Feb 10, 2015
As you all know healthy competition in any form is good and will bring out the best in both goalie. Especially going into the tail end of the season and leading into the playoffs.

Reactions: JOKER 192

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
i love watching him play...so calm cool and collected. Love Rask but this guy is good!
I'm definitely a fan too. Here's hoping he continues this play and Rask steps it up as well. Two goalies playing well is huge in the league these days.

Reactions: Dr Hook

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
played well again today, didn`t at all like the goal he let in and I`ll suggest if the B`s lost and Tuukka allowed it there would be 12 pages of posts about it but he`s definitely the goalie who is playing far better now

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
played well again today, didn`t at all like the goal he let in and I`ll suggest if the B`s lost and Tuukka allowed it there would be 12 pages of posts about it but he`s definitely the goalie who is playing far better now

Gotta agree, as much as I like Halak over Tuukka , that was a soft a goal. Your right, if Tuukka let's the same goal go by, there would be plenty a poster to point it out, likely even me.

Though at the end of the day , Halak has been way better than Tuukka thus far, soft goal be damned

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Gotta agree, as much as I like Halak over Tuukka , that was a soft a goal. Your right, if Tuukka let's the same goal go by, there would be plenty a poster to point it out, likely even me.

Though at the end of the day , Halak has been way better than Tuukka thus far, soft goal be damned
At the end of the day you also have to score a goal to win a game.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I saw his stats without that game somewhere but can't quite remember where, - I want to say it was during a recent game - and it was basically identical to Halak's stats up to that point.

I generally agree with what most are saying here, ride Halak until he isn't hot anymore. If he plays like this all year then that's fantastic, but chances are he regresses and Rask returns to form.

I seen the same stat you did. I think it was the Sens game, that surprised me. I looked it up and they are almost the same. Some differences but over the years it is close as can be. Considering Rask has played behind some great Julien defensive teams with Chara and Bergy. Not the same with Halak, most times he was left on his own on run and gun teams.

HalakGPGSWLTOTSAGAGAASv%SOMIN
NHL Career456440236150--5012,9591,0862.49.9164426,217
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RaskGPGSWLTOTSAGAGAASv%SOMIN
NHL Career455436241140--5312,6139862.27.9224126,099
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I seen the same stat you did. I think it was the Sens game, that surprised me. I looked it up and they are almost the same. Some differences but over the years it is close as can be. Considering Rask has played behind some great Julien defensive teams with Chara and Bergy. Not the same with Halak, most times he was left on his own on run and gun teams.

HalakGPGSWLTOTSAGAGAASv%SOMIN
NHL Career456440236150--5012,9591,0862.49.9164426,217
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RaskGPGSWLTOTSAGAGAASv%SOMIN
NHL Career455436241140--5312,6139862.27.9224126,099
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Those stats are insane. Though context is everything.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
He makes trading Rask a very viable option. Love the confidence / focus this guy has in net.

careful what you wish for - tuukka is a really good #1 goalie. halak is what he is - really good for stretches but
no way would i count on him as the full-time starter. i don't know why everyone needs to make this a controversy.
rask is the starter, halak is the 1B, and he's playing a lot right now because he's playing great.

James Walker

Sep 28, 2017
careful what you wish for - tuukka is a really good #1 goalie. halak is what he is - really good for stretches but
no way would i count on him as the full-time starter. i don't know why everyone needs to make this a controversy.
rask is the starter, halak is the 1B, and he's playing a lot right now because he's playing great.

Rask now realizes he is not as good as everyone has told him he is. Toronto was right to get rid of this average NHL goalie.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Halak is Playing 1A and it isn’t even close. Rask play has dropped. It’s time to consider trading Ann expensive contract. No controversy just a consideration

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
He makes trading Rask a very viable option. Love the confidence / focus this guy has in net.

Not familiar with Halak when he doesn't have that confidence/focus? No way has he made trading Rask a viable option. Not even close. These premature takes are why I'm glad Sweeney is in charge.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Not familiar with Halak when he doesn't have that confidence/focus? No way has he made trading Rask a viable option. Not even close. These premature takes are why I'm glad Sweeney is in charge.

Rask is not a viable option because he’s an expensive no longer top goaltender. anyone watching halak s play right now can see a big difference in confident goaltending. Halak was unbelievable last night. He makes hard saves look easy. Rask makes easy saves look difficult. This is what I’m seeing.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Rask is not a viable option because he’s an expensive no longer top goaltender. anyone watching halak s play right now can see a big difference in confident goaltending. Halak was unbelievable last night. He makes hard saves look easy. Rask makes easy saves look difficult. This is what I’m seeing.

You're also going off Rask at the beginning of the season where he always struggles. You're prematurely making this comment. Rask is a top goaltender. Six games played doesn't change that. You're acting as if Halak is finding this new level. He's still the same Halak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad